Ppl written valid for...?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Dmccann
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ppl written valid for...?

Post by Dmccann »

Hey everyone, I'm looking to find the rules for how long the ppl written is valid for.

I wrote my ppl exams 4 years ago and then completed my recreational permit flight test. I got issued my aviation document with my recreational permit. I then stopped flying for 4 years. Now I'm back up and flying and have been told by some people that I need to re-write. Others think that because I completed the rec flight test,I'm ok.

I tried googling it and all I can find is that the flight test is valid for one year but nothing about the written portion. If someone can point me I the right direction it would be appreciated
---------- ADS -----------

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Ppl written valid for...?

Post by MrAviator19 »

I believe it is 2 years for PPL and CPL, so you'll have to re-write.

NeckStrain
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by NeckStrain »

The exact wording from TC is:

4. The “Written Exam” requirement must be met within the 24 months preceding the date of application.
5. The “Skill” requirement must be met within the 12 months preceding the date of application.

I have to point out that in order to be eligible to write the exam, you also need the following:

(3) To be eligible to write the examination required for the issue of a permit, licence or rating, the candidate shall produce the following letter of recommendation dated within 60 days prior to the date of the written examination:
(amended 2005/12/01; previous version)

and

(4) To be eligible to write the examination required for the issue of a permit, licence or rating, the candidate shall provide proof that the experience and training requirements set out below have been met:
(amended 1998/03/23; previous version)

(a) an applicant for a Pilot Permit - Gyroplane, Pilot Permit - Recreational-Aeroplane, or a Private Pilot Licence shall have completed 10 hours flight time in the same category of aircraft, or hold a valid Pilot Permit - Ultra-light Aeroplane;

You can find more information on the actual application form found here >> http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Corp-Serv-Gen/5 ... 0791E_E_PX

Further CARS here > http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... htm#421_26

Good luck!

Dmccann wrote:Hey everyone, I'm looking to find the rules for how long the ppl written is valid for.

I wrote my ppl exams 4 years ago and then completed my recreational permit flight test. I got issued my aviation document with my recreational permit. I then stopped flying for 4 years. Now I'm back up and flying and have been told by some people that I need to re-write. Others think that because I completed the rec flight test,I'm ok.

I tried googling it and all I can find is that the flight test is valid for one year but nothing about the written portion. If someone can point me I the right direction it would be appreciated

172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172_Captain »

You wrote the exams and completed the flight test and were issued an aviation document. The exams are locked in now so this isn't a question of how long the exams are valid for, but rather how to get current again.

You've acted as PIC in the last 5 years I'll assume from your post, but not in the last 2. So you'll have to do one of the following:
•complete a flight review with an instructor;

•attend a safety seminar conducted by Transport Canada;

•participate in an Transport Canada approved recurrent training program;

•complete the self-paced study program;

•complete a training program or PPC required by Part IV, VI or VII of the CARs;

•complete the requirements for the issue or renewal of a licence permit or rating; or

•complete the written exam for a licence, permit or rating.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... t-1810.htm

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It's not a recency issue. He has the pilot permit - recreational, and now he wants a PPL. So he has to sit the PPL exam again because the prior pass expired.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
NeckStrain
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by NeckStrain »

That is what I understood as well. He has never held a private pilot license, so in his applying for one now, he must meet the requirements outlined on the application form I linked in my previous answer (completing a written PPL exam within the past 24 months being one of them - with nested requirements therein for doing that as stated).

photofly wrote:It's not a recency issue. He has the pilot permit - recreational, and now he wants a PPL. So he has to sit the PPL exam again because the prior pass expired.

sunny@1509
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sunny@1509 »

Hi PPL written is valid from the date partial fully passed or when the actual first attempt date ?

Return to “Flight Training”