Redbird Sim, IPCs and RNAV Approaches

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Aviatard
Rank 4
Rank 4

Redbird Sim, IPCs and RNAV Approaches

#1 Post by Aviatard » Sat May 20, 2017 7:13 pm

With the recent changes to the Instrument Rating flight test guide, which now require an RNAV approach, this raises issues with IPC renewals in the Redbird sim. Apparently Transport Canada didn't like the Redbird implementation of the Garmin 430/530, such that they did not approve it for use on a flight test or IPC. Previously, not a problem because you could do an ILS and some other non-precision approach. Now that the RNAV approach is required, we will no longer be able to do IPCs in the Redbird.

I've been trying to get some information on exactly what the problem is that caused TC to not approve it for use on an IPC. So far, all I've been able to get out of Transport is to have the implementation conform to the TSO. Not very helpful, or even practical since the TSO covers all kinds of requirements that aren't logical or even feasible in a software implementation. Redbird are willing to work on this, but even they don't seem to know what the problem originally was.

This isn't a huge revenue generator for us, but we do a substantial number of them in a year. I'd rather not have this source of revenue shut off for silly reasons. It seems that TC has recognized that this will need some time to sort out, and will allow IPCs to proceed in the Redbird until 2018. That's not really much time to get a fix in place.

From what I've been able to gather, there are about 25 Redbird users across Canada. If you have some info on what exactly needs to be fixed, or want to join in leaning on TC to be more forthcoming with requirements, please PM me or respond in this thread. Thanks a bunch.
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Redbird Sim, IPCs and RNAV Approaches

#2 Post by co-joe » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:06 am

My experience with the Red Bird is that the GNS 530 very closely approximates the Garmin unit by reverse engineering its important functions. I only found 2 shortcomings neither of which have any bearing on using it to shoot waas based LPV and LNAV+V approaches;

You cant turn off the airspace warnings in the Red Bird version. Annoying AF to have to keep pushing the MSG button to see the airspace you've just entered and stop the flashy MSG flag. A nuisance only.

Second from map page 2 you cant hard click the "push crsr" button to get the distance/ bearing etch-a-sketch feature. Most pilots don't even know about this feature.

That's it. Otherwise I found it to be a great simulator of the real unit. Not sure what TC's issue is.

angry inch
Rank 7
Rank 7

#3 Post by angry inch » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:43 pm

Any new news regarding the TC/Redbird RNAV issues? I'm looking at doing an IPC in the fall on my own dime...
Cheers

Big Pistons Forever
Rank 11
Rank 11

#4 Post by Big Pistons Forever » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:03 pm

The current let to allow Redbird FTD's to be used for IPC's expires Jan 1 2018. There is no indication that it will be extended and I personally do not know of any actions by Redbird to deal with the many issues with the Redbird reverse engineered Garmin GPS navigators installed in their sim.

Aviatard
Rank 4
Rank 4

#5 Post by Aviatard » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:59 am

Latest response from Redbird is they now have a handle on the deficiencies that need to be resolved and expect to have modified software for testing this week. No target date for release yet.

As for doing an IPC this fall, you won't have an issue, as BPF mentioned, the grace period expires January 1 2018.

praveen4143
Rank 3
Rank 3

#6 Post by praveen4143 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:34 am

I recently did my IFR training and a RedBird was the sim that was used for ground training. I do recall there were a number of bugs on the RedBird pertaining to how it mimics the G430 and the G530. The system would crash if you loaded a flight plan that is more than a few waypoints. There was some more issues relating to the flight planning that I don't recall very clearly now.

Return to “Flight Training”