Learning to fly in a taildragger: historical

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Learning to fly in a taildragger: historical

Post by photofly »

I offer this interesting extract from the maintenance notes of a 1939 Luscombe. (Did you know you can have the FAA's entire offline archive about an aircraft sent to you on CD-ROM for $10? Fascinating!)

It's evidence (if it were needed) that flight instruction "way back" wasn't guaranteed of a high standard, and that learning ab-initio in a taildragger can, sometimes, bite. It's just one data point, but it is a datapoint.
Airworthiness.jpg
Airworthiness.jpg (507.78 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Learning to fly in a taildragger: historical

Post by PilotDAR »

and that learning ab-initio in a taildragger can, sometimes, bite.
Just one data point - acknowledged.

The student groundlooped a plane, which he would not have done had it been a tricycle, or the instruction he had been given stuck more. However, All of the other students who did not groundloop the taildragger trainer were very likely superior pilots compared to the standard commonly set today.

Some skills are no longer, or rarely taught - probably for lack of need. Hand propping comes to mind as an example. all modern certified GA aircraft have starter motors - no need to hand prop to get it running. So pilots can now go a whole career without ever hand propping. One might say those pilots are lesser trained, no, they're differently trained The pilot who had to learn to hand prop, did not have to learn as much about electrical systems.

I have occasion to meet many turbine DC-3 pilots. I find it interesting that for many of them, they state that the DC-3 was their first taildragger. They have usually come from King Airs or Twin Otters. Had they not chosen DC-3, they likely would have gone their whole career without flying taildragger. They fly the DC-3 like an airliner - excellent, as it should be, that's its role with this operator. I'm not certain that many of these DC-3 taildragger pilots would be at ease flying a light taildragger. They're fine pilots, and they are taildragger pilots, but like any of us, they are not pilots of all types of planes.

Training appropriate to the type is pretty important for new pilots.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The question of what quality of instruction did pilots receive back in the era before there were nose wheel trainers comes up quite frequently and there are many who claim the quality of flight training was inferior because the accident rate was so high in those years.

Well from my own experience that opinion does not hold true.

I was trained at Central Airways when the Wong brothers owned it and I flew with and for Central Airways from mid 1953 until around 1960.

We taught on tail wheel trainers for the bacic PPL during that time on paved runways with a control tower.

I do not recall any accidents during the training or rentals at Central during that time frame but there were thousands of hours flown.

And in that era the PPL minimum time was 30 hours which many managed to complete their training in.

Maybe how good the training was depended on who gave the training?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I think it is a bit unfair to say Mr Pierson's instruction was lacking based on Mr Bowden's ground loop. What happened with Mr Pierson's other students? Did Mr. Bowden go on to fly accident free after that? I'd like more information and will reserve judgement until we have more to go on.

WastedFlyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WastedFlyer »

I did my PPL in small-town Brazil in 1982, in a 1940s Piper J3 (and its Brazilian-made cousin, the Neiva Paulistinha), which were pretty much the standard Brazilian trainer aircraft in those days. I never had any "close-call" and never heard of any accident or incident while I was there. The PPL requirement then and there were 40 hours, all uneventful. Later on, I did 60 hours in a C152, which I loathed (never had any incident with it, but the handling bothered me somehow, it seemed to be hyper-sensitive to any minor touch). To this day I'm mystified why is that taildraggers are considered "hard to fly", apparently.

The note on that accident report, "Sharp application of the right rudder could have prevented the groundloop", called to mind my first takeoff, when I was trying to be "gentle" with the rudder and my instructor unceremoniously told me not be be a sissy and "work the rudders" (or something to that effect)... Indeed, I also recall my first take off on the C152 and my instructor being alarmed at my "overly-aggressive" rudder adjustments... :oops:

We did "hand-propping" back then by the way (with the J3 and the Paulistinhas), but I wasn't good at it... Having strong arms was an important factor for proper hand propping, and I struggled to give those propellers half a turn... :?

This is the one and only PP-TRA, loathed by every student pilot for being slow, old and under-powered... It's now the most prized possession of that flying club, a "vintage" classic that only a few people are given the privilege of flying....

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Cat Driver wrote:I was trained at Central Airways when the Wong brothers owned it and I flew with and for Central Airways from mid 1953 until around 1960.

We taught on tail wheel trainers for the bacic PPL during that time on paved runways with a control tower.

I do not recall any accidents during the training or rentals at Central during that time frame but there were thousands of hours flown.
I would think that you would remember the fatal accident that happened while you were flying there.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I would think that you would remember the fatal accident that happened while you were flying there.
Refresh my memory.

I'm getting old. :)

Was it an instructor doing aerobatics and went into the roof of a house?

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Exactly. While you were working there as it was 1955. Fairly big news at the time. And you seem to remember it so you are not that old yet.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

It is one of those kinds of accidents one does not file in the memory banks under " Training accident "

I was thinking of accidents that happened under normal training and that was not normal.

When comparing the number of accidents fifty years ago and the number now it is only reasonable to expect the rates to be lower now if for no other reason the aircraft are fare more reliable today.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

This is where I heard about it. An article about the Wong brothers.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2015/0 ... ronto.html

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Thanks, great read.

Bob and Tom were my mentors and treated me like family.

Thanks to them my first real break in flying was being accepted to train as an Ag. pilot in St Thomas, there were 25 of us in the class and only two of were hired to fly spraying tobacco in a Cub.

The training was free, boy those were the days.

Anyhow their mentoring prepared me for my career and I never forgot their advise...when in doubt, don't.

I can remember Bob teaching me spin recovery in the Cessna 140 under two stage amber and using only limited panel, just like it was an hour ago. :mrgreen:

Thanks again for the read. :D

. E.

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

I learned the art of flying in 1952 in the deadly Fleet Canuck and the only ground loop was in a Tiger Moth on a calm day when I opened the rear canopy on the roll out. No damage but embarrassing to say the least...but I learned a lesson!

Was the training better on an old taildragger? No but it required your fullest attention. Accident wise, in the 3 years working as an AME apprentice for the club, we had one accident during training and that was a stall-spin turning final during a slipping turn...non-fatal but it was ugly.

Like the old Pussy Cat above I instructed on many types of taildraggers over my 60+ years of flying and I prefer one to the other type with the training wheel under the nose.

Barney

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

How's it hangin Barney?

The Fleet Canuck in my opinion is the best all around training airplane I ever flew.

WastedFlyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WastedFlyer »

Old Dog Flying wrote: Like the old Pussy Cat above I instructed on many types of taildraggers over my 60+ years of flying and I prefer one to the other type with the training wheel under the nose.
Barney
Why exactly...? I'm not disagreeing, I learned to fly in a J3 and have no complaints at all, but, specifically / scientifically, why are taildraggers better to learn to fly? Just curious...

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Simply put...you have to use your hands, feet and head in the proper sequence to accomplish a smooth flight particularly on landing and take-off. Mess one thing up and it gets exciting. I let a friend who has thousands of hours in old tail-draggers, fly my Grumman AA1A. His theory on rudder use was kick the hell out of it during t/o and ldg and he tried that with my wee beast..needless to say we were all over the bloody runway..

The scientific factors are all laid out in "From the Ground Up"
Barney

WastedFlyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WastedFlyer »

Old Dog Flying wrote:I let a friend who has thousands of hours in old tail-draggers, fly my Grumman AA1A. His theory on rudder use was kick the hell out of it during t/o and ldg and he tried that with my wee beast..needless to say we were all over the bloody runway..
I know exactly what you mean... Glad to know I wasn't the only one (refer to my note above, about my 1st takeoff in a C152, after doing the PPL in the J3...) The trouble w/ that is that my inexperienced instructor had never flown a taildragger in his life, so we was very confused, and probably thought I was just a really bad pilot... Live and learn... :D

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

A pilot who has learned to fly in a simple taildragger will naturally have better coordination of hands and feet, be much more aware of the aircraft position and heading on the runway, and probably have better side slipping skills. Taildraggers simply will not tolerate casual use of the pedals, precision required.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

"kick the hell out of .."

Bizarre .. I can't imagine any aircraft where you should kick the hell out of any of the controls including old tail draggers and I can't imagine that technique being successful. What was he flying that demanded such aggressive rudder use?

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

It wasn't just rudder but all flight controls that got this type of input. I was only too happy to end that light.

He flew mainly antiqued!

Barney

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

I think Old Dog put it nicely that a tail dragger needs your fullest attention.

Tail draggers are not inherently difficult to fly. They, simply put, keep you honest. Finesse is the heart of tail wheel flying -- this should be taught regardless of configuration.

You can get away with murder in a nose wheel aircraft. Slam the power forward with your feet on the floor for take off, land it cockeye of centre line, land with completely incorrect crosswind technique, put your head down and down and do paperwork while taxiiing...you can get away with sloppy flying in a nose wheel aircraft. You simply can not be sloppy in a tail dragger or it will bite you and you will bend metal.

Regarding instruction back in the day vs today. Maybe it was better, maybe not. But what can certainly be said, is that you can not be complacent in a tail dragger...thus tail wheel instructors must pay more attention to detail and they must teach how to properly fly the aircraft in the cleanest manner from chock to chock. You must be well ahead of the aircraft even more so then a nose wheel aircraft...including ground handling. I have faith that regardless of the position of the third wheel, there are instructors out there (instructor rating or not) that teach flying in the cleanest manner possible and teach to be well ahead of the aircraft.

In my time of teaching tail wheel, I should also note that float pilots tend to make an easier transition to tail draggers vs seasoned nose wheel pilots. Glider pilots are next in line for pilots that make smooth transitions.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--

Return to “Flight Training”