AEC OR THE OLD WAY -Mtl

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

AEC worthed ?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 2

User747
Rank 0
Rank 0

AEC OR THE OLD WAY -Mtl

Post by User747 »

Hello Everybody

I have been doing my research for joining a fly school ,
I have visited Some school in the Montreal area
The guy from Cargair said it was better advantage to obtain a AEC ,and the person from aviation laurentide told me that is not worth it . Am mixed up and worried to be a wast of time and money

Any friendly advice

Best regards
---------- ADS -----------

citruskelly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: AEC OR THE OLD WAY -Mtl

Post by citruskelly »

I visited Lachute Aviation in June for a Fam Flight;

I'll be starting their AEC program in September. The reason I chose the AEC instead of the classic modular route is that I prefer being fully immersed in training for a shorter time period. Also, I like the fact that there's a fixed schedule to follow. Finally, I might be able to get student loans or funding since the program *might* be recognized by the Minister of Education.

I'm well aware that I'll be paying way more than the minimum required to obtain CPL-Multi-IFR, but the extra 600 hours of in-class theory will probably make me feel more confident when entering the job-market.

Ps.: If you happen to be on the north side of Montreal, I think Lachute is worth the drive if you're still looking for a FTU.

User747
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by User747 »

Thank you for your feed back ,only disvatange for going to lachute is a 1:15 hour drive .

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt X 3 »

What's an AEC?

Have Pratts - Will Travel
BE10_Driver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BE10_Driver »

With the new immigration policies, flight schools in Quebec now need to offer an approved AEC if they want to continue training foreign students.

Unless you are not a Canadian citizen, i would not recommend spending all that extra money on a CPL.
I don't think airlines will treat it as a proper aviation degree like those offered at CQFA or Seneca anyway.

Save your money and invest in some university degree instead if you aim to fly for a major airline.

User747
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by User747 »

BE10_Driver wrote:With the new immigration policies, flight schools in Quebec now need to offer an approved AEC if they want to continue training foreign students.

Unless you are not a Canadian citizen, i would not recommend spending all that extra money on a CPL.
I don't think airlines will treat it as a proper aviation degree like those offered at CQFA or Seneca anyway.

Save your money and invest in some university degree instead if you aim to fly for a major airline.

User747
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by User747 »

thank you for your feedback, but going to Toronto or chicoutimi will cost me more money ,
A AEC is considered a college degree but accelerate ,faster to obtaine

Windymind
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Windymind »

Hello User747,

Were those the only schools you looked at?

It really all depends on what you want to do and where you want to go after... Personally, I would not go for an AEC as it costs way too much and in the end it's all about the connections right? There are many airlines in Southeast Asia that offer second officer positions to those that have an ICAO CPL with 250+ hours.. and your chances with them after obtaining the licences separately would be similar to if you did an AEC program. Plus, going to Southeast Asia in China, Vietnam, Philippines, Hong Kong, etc. is a quick way to easily get some jet experience before coming back to Canada or what not..

There are other schools in Montreal that offer similar training programs with competitive prices. You should check out Air Richlieu or even Academy of Aeronautics...

Best of luck!

citruskelly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by citruskelly »

So, I'm one month away from starting the AEC in Lachute and I've just received their class schedule.

Turns out, classes will be in the afternoon and evening, which is not what I expected at all.
It will make it hard to find a part-time job with this kind of schedule.

Also, I've been comparing the AEC route to the Modular route and the numbers really don't match up;

- the AEC program would cost $55,875 + tx (approx. $65,000 tx in.)
Included in this is 600 hours of theory, spanned over 3 semesters, costing $5,000 +tx each just for tuition.

- The classic Modular Route to the CPL with ME and IR would cost $37,440 +tx ($43,047)
By doing this, I'd be saving $20k and many years of debt
What's the reason for the high cost of the AEC?

Sometimes I wonder if those programs are specifically tailored for international students, since they need a recognized program to be granted a student visa. I already have a College Diploma (3D animation) and a Trades Diploma (Building Drafting), and I'm Canadian; is it really worth it for me to do the AEC?

Is anyone else debating the AEC vs. Modular route thing?

...help.

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

My two cents. Go the modular way.
As you said, 20k less! You don't learn more, you just learn in the same stuff in a longer timeframe. The whole AEC thing is all about the money...... For them not you.

Get it done, quick, well and cheap go on a road trip and find a job ASAP.

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

FL-280 wrote:My two cents. Go the modular way.
Get it done, quick, well and cheap go on a road trip and find a job ASAP.
+1

I will have done my 200 hours Multi/IFR CPL in less than a year, while working a full time day job.

PM me if you need more tips, in french or english ;-)

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!

Return to “Flight Training”