To old to get started?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Gerry1982
Rank 0
Rank 0

To old to get started?

Post by Gerry1982 »

Hey guy's,

I am 31 years old turning 32 in November of this year and always had the desire to become a pilot. I actually did some flight training back when I was 23 and got about 35+ hours under my belt. But had to halt my training due to finances and other circumstances. I don't have a degree in anything, my background comes from heavy equipment operating.

But was wondering what the chances are at my age of going and doing training and then realistically having a good career till say 60-65? My finances are a bit better now which would allow me to do training as quick as possible. If my overall goal was airlines or maybe corp or a small airline making a decent wage, what are my chances given my age?
---------- ADS -----------

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: To old to get started?

Post by MarkyMark90 »

Hi,

I can answer as I was in your position less than a year ago. At 26 years old, with a BAA in my pocket and a decent job, I decided to pursue flight training while continuing to work full time.

This experience has been nothing but incredible, if you want my very honest opinion. I'm about to finish my CPL with my multi/ifr, all that within a year since I have started and I couldn't be more proud of what I have accomplished.

Of course, no one can accomplish something like this without having to do some sacrifices. During that one year period, I've invested everything that I had saved since I graduated from university, I lost some friends (which weren't real friends), lost my girlfriend (which wasn't approving my career change). Add to that mix not being able to go out since you're trying to save money and regain some sleep, and all the time spend on studying the material.

But then, with sacrifices comes rewards. I will have in the next few weeks my licences in my pocket, I have a new girlfriend which understand and embrace my lifestyle, I've made new friends within the flight school that I'm attending and the most important thing is that I am happy and thrilled with the future ahead of me.

From what I see of your profile, the only thing that will make things more difficult for you is not having a post-secondary diploma. I've been hearing a lot around the forums and FBOs that companies are looking at people with Aviation college diploma, or any other post secondary education. That being said, is it possible to make your way to a right seat in an airliner? That answer if yes. You will probably have to work a bit harder to have what you want. And with a modular program comes the advantage of being able to stop at any moment if you finally don't want to continue that route.

If you put serious time and effort, you could be sitting in a Jazz cockpit within 3 or 4 years after you start your training. This will cost you around 60k for your full training and having to live on a low wage until you get that airline position. This could be a big problem if you have a family to support.

This is a great moment to jump in the industry with all the movements we see from the flight school, to the air-taxi, to the regionals and ultimately to the airliners. A company like Jazz is hiring a big amount of pilots and this will only continue to grow. I hope I helped you make your choice, but if I were you, I would jump right away!

Work and passion will be the key of your success, give it a try and we'll talk again next year once you get closer to finishing your training :) !!

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

But then, with sacrifices comes rewards. I will have in the next few weeks my licences in my pocket, I have a new girlfriend which understand and embrace my lifestyle,
That is the biggest most important asset you have.

Flying for Jazz and Air Canada is not necessarily the best job in aviation, the guy in this link has done quite well and has far more time at home with his family.

And the flying is quite satisfying and far from boring.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=117620

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Dmccann
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dmccann »

I don't think it's too old to start. Although Canada has a steeper ladder than Europe to get in the left seat, you'll never get there by not trying.

I'm in a similar boat, started 4 years ago, got my rec permit then stopped because of finances etc as well. Now I've made the commitment to go for it. I have just completed my PPL and will work toward my CPL Multi/IFR and probably my instructor. Once I get there we'll see what happens and where the market is at. I have a family and two small kids so giving up my current career to go fly up north or as a rampy isn't really going to work for me but if I only end up at my local flying club instructing on my days off I'll be happy that I did it and that getting paid to be up where I love to be and away from it all

EastCoastWings
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EastCoastWings »

I know the feeling as I'm in the same boat. I'm 31, always wanted to be a pilot but could never afford it so I went other routes in life, but always wondered what if. I'm stuck in a good paying job but I'm miserable and decided enough is enough. I've already got post secondary education, so next year I plan on doing the 1 year IATP at Moncton Flight College. Starting a new career in your 30s can be a little scary, but I'm hoping my maturity and life experiences will help me progress in a new career.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

I flew with guys in their mid 30's back in 703. You're not too old at all... I started nearing 30 as well and honestly when you think about it, I still have over 30 years left in the biz. That's a long time...

Return to “Flight Training”