Hypothetical Class I instructor Extinction

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

currysonic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Hypothetical Class I instructor Extinction

Post by currysonic »

Hi all,

I've been noticing class I instructors are all extremely busy (being CFI, saturated with students, or combination thereof) and thought of a hypothetical situation for fun.

What would happen if the last class I moved away from instructing or the population of class Is reach a critically low threshold? Would TC step in and directly controll the means of production instead of indirect control through companies and individuals?

Hope this is a meaningful post for hypothetical situation lovers out there!
---------- ADS -----------

Rudderless
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Hypothetical Class I instructor Extinction

Post by Rudderless »

This is a very serious problem - not enough Class 1's or 2's, or even 3's out there. It is really going to affect FTU's big time - how will TC deal with it. As there is currently a huge requirement for pilots, things will have to change - FTUs will have to be able to operate somehow. No Class 1's or 2's around? So.... now what? There are not enough Class 1's or 2's to satisfy the requirements, so how will FTUs survive?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I suspect there are lots of class I and IIs around, just not working as instructors. Pay enough and you'll find them crawling out of the woodwork.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Not sure there are lots around. And with the lowering of time requirements for a new pilot to progress right now, current instructors are rarely going to get the hours and recommends needed to become one.

However, there are quite a number at TC. Since instructing itself doesn't provide a high $ top-end, once someone has put in the time getting to a Class 2 or 1 they are behind the curve as far as progression in the Commercial Ops/Airline world. One way to get a job that pays more and has pretty good working conditions and benefits is to apply and get a position at TC.

Whether at TC or in industry, many of these ex Class 2s and 1s are now close to retirement age and most people looking for a retirement gig want part-time, non-scheduled work with lots of flexibility. The antithesis of a flight school's requirements.

I agree with the currysonic that there likely is going to be a real problem in the not too distant future.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

I know a handful of class 2's in their early twenties. It's not reserved for the older TC/retirement age folk.

Return to “Flight Training”