INRAT advice

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

SouthernAeroAviation
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: INRAT advice

Post by SouthernAeroAviation »

Try to get your hands on an Aerocourse question book. There are 5-10 questions on the exam that are word for word straight out of that book.
---------- ADS -----------

Andjam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Andjam »

Last edited by Andjam on Fri May 17, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

So, little update/more info. I haven't started getting down to it just yet, been busy with job training. But I haven't forgotten about this. Yesterday my CP and I were doing some ground training and after we started talking about schools and training. When I mentioned I was going to save up over the winter for my group 1, he pointed out to me that as I sit I have 25+ hours of instrument time from my cpl and ppl. So why would I spend 8-10k on a big course when I technically only need 15 including the X-country. I could buy my self a decent set of sim controls, a decent computer (since my old laptop is dying anyway) X-Plane or Ms Flight SIM, foreflight for the plates and what not, do the INRAT myself or through Harv's and practice almost everything on my own without the hourly costs. Then when I'm ready do the last bits in a red bird and IFR 172. This way I can at least get my group 3 a lot cheaper and keep the sim to practice on when ever I want (like bad wx days).

Thoughts on this? What's the better sim software under this premise?

Craig1983
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Craig1983 »

AirDoan do you not want your group 1? Go for Multi. I have all those cool sim controls etc from my FSX days (I do still use it - I think it's a great tool) but you can use the free VOR/ADF/Everything simulators from http://www.luizmonteiro.com/learning_vor_sim.aspx

I'd save up for what you need for your Group 1 then you're closer to your ATPL. Harv's for sure though. I use them and the courses are good for 9 months.

-Craig
tuqi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tuqi »

There is absolutely no need to spend a single penny on preparatory material for the INRAT. Every necessary resource is available online free of charge. Here is a brief set of studying tips from a seasoned aviator: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77351&p=729404#p729363

The uncritical recommendations of Harv's online course deserve challenging: it was one of the worst online training courses I have ever encountered. If you insist on spending money then purchase a non-time limited product.

Good luck with the exam and subsequent training.

Andjam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Andjam »

Last edited by Andjam on Fri May 17, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canadapilot01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Canadapilot01 »

I agree with most of the guys above, the Dauntless app is great! The fact that you can sort through the questions you struggle with really highlights the areas you need to study.
Since you have a few month left before you want to write it really wouldn't hurt to do the pilottraining.ca ground school along with the Dauntless app. I wish I had done it in that order.
Good luck on your exam. Make sure you know all the weird rules revolving around GPS overlay approaches and uncontrolled aerodrome procedures.

Patientpilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Patientpilot »

Andjam wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:09 pm
AirDoan wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:31 am Okay, so I never got round to doing this. But I am now in Edmonton and 2 months into my training as a pipeline patrol pilot. So far it's been great! With my next check I am going to do the Harv's Air, IPM and CAPGEN method since I seem to have a lot of down time and need something to put my energy into on bad WX days (my other hobbies from BC don't transfer to well). Question though. Harv's has two courses, one that's for INRAT prep, and one for renewals. But both have the same description. Question is, is there a difference besides the cost? I have a feeling they are the same but the lower cost is for returning students.

PS: Not to sound cheap, but does anyone in the Edmonton area have a IPM they can lend/sell cheap? No point in buying a brand new one if I can avoid it. Not being cheap, just trying to be thrifty and keep a little in my pocket for Mr. Noodles and coffee.
AirDoan PM me and I can send you a couple PDFs of some INRAT/IATRA study material I found helpful. Also If you have the fltplan go app you can download the CAP GEN free, as well as the CFS.
Good day sir!
Would it be possible to send me the PDF’s aswell please? Coming to Canada in April from South Africa and need to write my ATPL Exams.Really struggling to get hold of the books.I have the Dauntless App, AIM, and buying pilottraining.ca tomorrow. My email cd.wentzel@yahoo.com

Return to “Flight Training”