INRAT advice

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Post Reply
Message
Author
AirDoan
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:33 pm

INRAT advice

#1 Post by AirDoan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:53 pm

Good afternoon fellow aviators.

Here is my situation. CPL with 227 hours and floats. I can't afford my group 1 right now and the season is a little long in the tooth for flying work. My question. Is it still worth doing the INRAT prep through Harv's in my spare time over the next few months? My thoughts are two fold. One, I'm not flying much right now and it'll keep my plane brain active. 2nd I can at least show that I have written my INRAT on a resume and maybe find an operator who is willing to help finish the rest. Thoughts?
---------- ADS -----------

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Re: INRAT advice

#2 Post by nbinont » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:17 pm

The INRAT is not an expensive exam to write ($35 or so if I recall correctly). To write it, you require half of the instrument time (40hr/2 = 20hr, which you already have with your commercial) and half of the required PIC cross country (50hr/2 = 25hr, which you probably have already as the commercial requires 20hr). Just study for it a write it if you have the time. The exam is valid for 2 years from the date you write it. There's virtually no downside here... Worst case you learned something and spent what you'd probably spend on a night out otherwise.
---------- ADS -----------

praveen4143
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:26 pm

Re: INRAT advice

#3 Post by praveen4143 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:37 pm

It is a relatively easy exam to write if you're fairly recent with CPL ground school. About 35 Qs out of 50 are more general, non-IFR stuff
---------- ADS -----------

AirDoan
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:33 pm

Re: INRAT advice

#4 Post by AirDoan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:11 pm

praveen4143 wrote:It is a relatively easy exam to write if you're fairly recent with CPL ground school. About 35 Qs out of 50 are more general, non-IFR stuff
I finished about 10 months ago. But hopefully it'll come back pretty quick. As nbinont said there is no downside. So gonna go for it. I have the time and as stated it is not expensive. Any good books I can read along side the course?
---------- ADS -----------

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Re: INRAT advice

#5 Post by nbinont » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:54 pm

---------- ADS -----------

badmash
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:45 pm

Re: INRAT advice

#6 Post by badmash » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:46 am

AirDoan wrote:
praveen4143 wrote:It is a relatively easy exam to write if you're fairly recent with CPL ground school. About 35 Qs out of 50 are more general, non-IFR stuff
I finished about 10 months ago. But hopefully it'll come back pretty quick. As nbinont said there is no downside. So gonna go for it. I have the time and as stated it is not expensive. Any good books I can read along side the course?
I am preparing for the exam as well , one book I can recommend is the Instrument Procedures Manual. It is a pretty detailed and comprehensive book and coupled with the CAPGEN and the Pilottraining.ca ground school , you should be good!
---------- ADS -----------

jg24
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:44 pm
Location: The Great White North

Re: INRAT advice

#7 Post by jg24 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:27 am

badmash wrote: I am preparing for the exam as well , one book I can recommend is the Instrument Procedures Manual. It is a pretty detailed and comprehensive book and coupled with the CAPGEN and the Pilottraining.ca ground school , you should be good!

Yes, yes, and yes. Make sure your CAPGEN is current as there were a few changes made in the past year or so, same for the IPM. I believe there is one that was released last year, so don't pick up anything prior to that.

Pilottrainig.ca does a good job of keeping their slides updated.

I'm sure many people will have varying opinions on study material, but I will vouch for this trio. It is personally what I used, and it worked great. IPM is the FTGU of IFR in Canada.
---------- ADS -----------

AirDoan
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:33 pm

Re: INRAT advice

#8 Post by AirDoan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:43 am

jg24 wrote:
badmash wrote: I am preparing for the exam as well , one book I can recommend is the Instrument Procedures Manual. It is a pretty detailed and comprehensive book and coupled with the CAPGEN and the Pilottraining.ca ground school , you should be good!

Yes, yes, and yes. Make sure your CAPGEN is current as there were a few changes made in the past year or so, same for the IPM. I believe there is one that was released last year, so don't pick up anything prior to that.

Pilottrainig.ca does a good job of keeping their slides updated.

I'm sure many people will have varying opinions on study material, but I will vouch for this trio. It is personally what I used, and it worked great. IPM is the FTGU of IFR in Canada.

I'm hoping that the Victoria Flying Club has this stuff on hand and I will pick up this weekend. Thanks for the suggestions! Very much appreciated. Now just need to find an operator willing to hire me and put up with half the IFR rating completed (and/or just wants me for my float rating)!
---------- ADS -----------

AirDoan
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:33 pm

Re: INRAT advice

#9 Post by AirDoan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:44 pm

So update. I have not started yet, however one instructor I flew with the other day recommended Dauntless Aviation's prep system along with IPM and CAPGEN. Has anyone tried them? Not trying to cheap out on training or anything. But at half the price and dedicated apps for studying on the go it's worth considering!

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/Products/ ... ration+App
---------- ADS -----------

tbayav8er
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:47 pm

Re: INRAT advice

#10 Post by tbayav8er » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:42 pm

I wrote the exam a couple months back and found it pretty easy. Know the cap gen. Lots of basic met questions, some human factors. Don't stress out too much. Personally, I did the pilottraining.ca online course, and I was very well prepared after that.
---------- ADS -----------

final28
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:47 pm

Re: INRAT advice

#11 Post by final28 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:44 pm

I used the Dauntless app a few years ago and found it a good complement to the readings.
---------- ADS -----------

Loner
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:14 pm

Re: INRAT advice

#12 Post by Loner » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:47 pm

Don't put the cart before the horse...INRAT is no benefit until you get your Multi IFR.
Unless of course... if you're just curious. Very easy exam.
---------- ADS -----------

final28
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:47 pm

Re: INRAT advice

#13 Post by final28 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:58 pm

Loner, you may be confusing IATRA with INRAT.
INRAT is the instrument exam.
---------- ADS -----------

Loner
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:14 pm

Re: INRAT advice

#14 Post by Loner » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:27 pm

Oops, sorry, you're correct, I misread. Apologies in order.
---------- ADS -----------

jg24
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:44 pm
Location: The Great White North

Re: INRAT advice

#15 Post by jg24 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:37 am

AirDoan wrote:So update. I have not started yet, however one instructor I flew with the other day recommended Dauntless Aviation's prep system along with IPM and CAPGEN. Has anyone tried them? Not trying to cheap out on training or anything. But at half the price and dedicated apps for studying on the go it's worth considering!

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/Products/ ... ration+App

Didn't try the Dauntless software/app myself, and I don't know anyone that has, I along with many people I know personally used the Harv's Air online GS (pilottraining.ca). All, including myself, recommend it.

I'm not saying don't use the Dauntless option. I've heard (here on Avcan) many people having used it and recommending it, so clearly it's doing something right. I think it's just a matter of personal choice.

As for the recommendations of the IPM and CAPGEN, definite yes. The IPM is the teaching book and the CAPGEN is the Bible for IFR in Canada. So get your hands on both. CAPGEN is free, just ask whoever is in charge of purchasing supplies at your FTU and ask them for a new CAPGEN whenever they make an order or supplies.
---------- ADS -----------

dirtdr
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:19 am

Re: INRAT advice

#16 Post by dirtdr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:10 am

I used the dauntless app and it worked great - for studying for the test. It has a great feature that allows you to 'discard' questions that you excel at and focus on the areas that need improvement.

I absorbed more knowledge from the aim, and harvs air programs (among others), but the dauntless app will get you ready for the test.

Spend one week with the app and write your test right away and you should do fine.
---------- ADS -----------

Post Reply

Return to “Flight Training”