INRAT advice

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

INRAT advice

Post by AirDoan »

Good afternoon fellow aviators.

Here is my situation. CPL with 227 hours and floats. I can't afford my group 1 right now and the season is a little long in the tooth for flying work. My question. Is it still worth doing the INRAT prep through Harv's in my spare time over the next few months? My thoughts are two fold. One, I'm not flying much right now and it'll keep my plane brain active. 2nd I can at least show that I have written my INRAT on a resume and maybe find an operator who is willing to help finish the rest. Thoughts?
---------- ADS -----------

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: INRAT advice

Post by nbinont »

The INRAT is not an expensive exam to write ($35 or so if I recall correctly). To write it, you require half of the instrument time (40hr/2 = 20hr, which you already have with your commercial) and half of the required PIC cross country (50hr/2 = 25hr, which you probably have already as the commercial requires 20hr). Just study for it a write it if you have the time. The exam is valid for 2 years from the date you write it. There's virtually no downside here... Worst case you learned something and spent what you'd probably spend on a night out otherwise.

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

It is a relatively easy exam to write if you're fairly recent with CPL ground school. About 35 Qs out of 50 are more general, non-IFR stuff

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

praveen4143 wrote:It is a relatively easy exam to write if you're fairly recent with CPL ground school. About 35 Qs out of 50 are more general, non-IFR stuff
I finished about 10 months ago. But hopefully it'll come back pretty quick. As nbinont said there is no downside. So gonna go for it. I have the time and as stated it is not expensive. Any good books I can read along side the course?

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

badmash
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by badmash »

AirDoan wrote:
praveen4143 wrote:It is a relatively easy exam to write if you're fairly recent with CPL ground school. About 35 Qs out of 50 are more general, non-IFR stuff
I finished about 10 months ago. But hopefully it'll come back pretty quick. As nbinont said there is no downside. So gonna go for it. I have the time and as stated it is not expensive. Any good books I can read along side the course?
I am preparing for the exam as well , one book I can recommend is the Instrument Procedures Manual. It is a pretty detailed and comprehensive book and coupled with the CAPGEN and the Pilottraining.ca ground school , you should be good!

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

badmash wrote: I am preparing for the exam as well , one book I can recommend is the Instrument Procedures Manual. It is a pretty detailed and comprehensive book and coupled with the CAPGEN and the Pilottraining.ca ground school , you should be good!

Yes, yes, and yes. Make sure your CAPGEN is current as there were a few changes made in the past year or so, same for the IPM. I believe there is one that was released last year, so don't pick up anything prior to that.

Pilottrainig.ca does a good job of keeping their slides updated.

I'm sure many people will have varying opinions on study material, but I will vouch for this trio. It is personally what I used, and it worked great. IPM is the FTGU of IFR in Canada.

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

jg24 wrote:
badmash wrote: I am preparing for the exam as well , one book I can recommend is the Instrument Procedures Manual. It is a pretty detailed and comprehensive book and coupled with the CAPGEN and the Pilottraining.ca ground school , you should be good!

Yes, yes, and yes. Make sure your CAPGEN is current as there were a few changes made in the past year or so, same for the IPM. I believe there is one that was released last year, so don't pick up anything prior to that.

Pilottrainig.ca does a good job of keeping their slides updated.

I'm sure many people will have varying opinions on study material, but I will vouch for this trio. It is personally what I used, and it worked great. IPM is the FTGU of IFR in Canada.

I'm hoping that the Victoria Flying Club has this stuff on hand and I will pick up this weekend. Thanks for the suggestions! Very much appreciated. Now just need to find an operator willing to hire me and put up with half the IFR rating completed (and/or just wants me for my float rating)!

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

So update. I have not started yet, however one instructor I flew with the other day recommended Dauntless Aviation's prep system along with IPM and CAPGEN. Has anyone tried them? Not trying to cheap out on training or anything. But at half the price and dedicated apps for studying on the go it's worth considering!

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/Products/ ... ration+App

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

I wrote the exam a couple months back and found it pretty easy. Know the cap gen. Lots of basic met questions, some human factors. Don't stress out too much. Personally, I did the pilottraining.ca online course, and I was very well prepared after that.

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

I used the Dauntless app a few years ago and found it a good complement to the readings.

Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loner »

Don't put the cart before the horse...INRAT is no benefit until you get your Multi IFR.
Unless of course... if you're just curious. Very easy exam.

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

Loner, you may be confusing IATRA with INRAT.
INRAT is the instrument exam.

Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loner »

Oops, sorry, you're correct, I misread. Apologies in order.

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

AirDoan wrote:So update. I have not started yet, however one instructor I flew with the other day recommended Dauntless Aviation's prep system along with IPM and CAPGEN. Has anyone tried them? Not trying to cheap out on training or anything. But at half the price and dedicated apps for studying on the go it's worth considering!

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/Products/ ... ration+App

Didn't try the Dauntless software/app myself, and I don't know anyone that has, I along with many people I know personally used the Harv's Air online GS (pilottraining.ca). All, including myself, recommend it.

I'm not saying don't use the Dauntless option. I've heard (here on Avcan) many people having used it and recommending it, so clearly it's doing something right. I think it's just a matter of personal choice.

As for the recommendations of the IPM and CAPGEN, definite yes. The IPM is the teaching book and the CAPGEN is the Bible for IFR in Canada. So get your hands on both. CAPGEN is free, just ask whoever is in charge of purchasing supplies at your FTU and ask them for a new CAPGEN whenever they make an order or supplies.

dirtdr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dirtdr »

I used the dauntless app and it worked great - for studying for the test. It has a great feature that allows you to 'discard' questions that you excel at and focus on the areas that need improvement.

I absorbed more knowledge from the aim, and harvs air programs (among others), but the dauntless app will get you ready for the test.

Spend one week with the app and write your test right away and you should do fine.

ActionAxson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ActionAxson »

Apologies for the thread resurrection, but does the INRAT have to be rewritten if applying for an ATPL 24 months after first passing it (Similar to the SAMRA/SARON requirements)?

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

ActionAxson wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:41 am Apologies for the thread resurrection, but does the INRAT have to be rewritten if applying for an ATPL 24 months after first passing it (Similar to the SAMRA/SARON requirements)?
NO, I got my instrument rating/wrote the INRAT 10+ years before applying for my ATPL.

Glenn

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

Okay, so I never got round to doing this. But I am now in Edmonton and 2 months into my training as a pipeline patrol pilot. So far it's been great! With my next check I am going to do the Harv's Air, IPM and CAPGEN method since I seem to have a lot of down time and need something to put my energy into on bad WX days (my other hobbies from BC don't transfer to well). Question though. Harv's has two courses, one that's for INRAT prep, and one for renewals. But both have the same description. Question is, is there a difference besides the cost? I have a feeling they are the same but the lower cost is for returning students.

PS: Not to sound cheap, but does anyone in the Edmonton area have a IPM they can lend/sell cheap? No point in buying a brand new one if I can avoid it. Not being cheap, just trying to be thrifty and keep a little in my pocket for Mr. Noodles and coffee.

bring me the horizon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bring me the horizon »

I used this when studying for the INRAT: http://www.phoenixaviation.ca/IPM%20tp2076e.pdf

It's the older version but really the only difference is GPS and you can find all that in the AIM. Approach bans in the CAPGEN. It's pretty straight forward. There's a lot of good references on here if you use the search function.

Good luck

Return to “Flight Training”