PPL exam next week..Give me some advice

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Mike23
Rank 1
Rank 1

PPL exam next week..Give me some advice

Post by Mike23 »

Hi everyone!! I’m going to write ppl written exam next week and I’m studying from “Sharper Edge” and it should be good enough to pass my exam right?? And also how’s the Navigation in the exam..is it hard? Any other suggestions please...Thankyou!! Waiting to hear from everyone!!
---------- ADS -----------

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: PPL exam next week..Give me some advice

Post by jg24 »

Been too long ago since I wrote my PPL exam but for what it's worth: read through FTGU (From The Ground Up) as well, if you haven't yet at all. If you don't have one, borrow one.

Regarding navigation, as long as you're comfortable plotting a trip on your VNC/VTA from point A to B and able to divert to point C or D you should be fine with it. Just ensure you know what EVERY detail on the map means. Grab your VNC/VTA and look at every marking, and ask yourself if you know what they mean, what's the spacing of each grid, what are the different markings for airspace classifications, airport types: paved, non paved, sea ports (is that what they're called, don't remember), the different numbers written under airport names, what do they mean etc.... you get the point. Also do that with a VNC/VTA that is NOT from your area, because chances are the nav section will be based on a map (location) that you haven't seen before.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Don't forget that the highest elevation anywhere on the map is mentioned in the legend. I always chuckled seeing people get to the "Highest elevation on this VNC is _______" question without knowing that.

Of course, if any questions do trip you up just sail past them and circle back later. You don't want a real head scratcher to eat up all your time and make you miss a bunch of easy ones.

waterdog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by waterdog »

Best suggestion I have is:
1) The clock doesn't start until you begin on the computer, therefore take as much time as you want to go over your maps and get acquainted. The maps will most likely not be from the area you are writing in, I think I spent a good 10 minutes going over the maps and getting to know the lay of the land. Once you start answering questions you're on the clock.
2) Know how to locate Lat / Long on a paper map, it will really help speed things up and its not something you use very often.
My 2 cents

Mike23
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mike23 »

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful suggestions!!! I passed my Exam!! 😃😃

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11