Realistic expectations: age 42 with past lasik surgery?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Realistic expectations: age 42 with past lasik surgery?

Post by rookiepilot »

I'm going to slightly wet on this parade, for a different reason, and the other 40 year old's. My intentions are just to examine from a different angle. Here in Onterrible, I know at least 3 acquaintances that have jumped into the real estate business. Same problem. An area is white hot, as aviation is, people want to fulfil their dream. Wonderful. All for it.

Here's the risk: I'm an economic guy, and I'm worried the sunny times are soon to become Last Call At the bar. I don't like what I see. Maybe it won't matter, and the pilot shortage is long lasting.

Just pointing it out. And there's a fair bit of experience behind my words. Count the cost, count the risks. Have a backup plan.
---------- ADS -----------

opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by opera »

@rookiepilot yeah since my first post, I've seen other people talking about automation and the need for human pilots decreasing in a decade or so :-( One of the reasons I want to leave my current job, translation, which is shifting to editing crappy machine outputs.

Thanks also GQ4 and confusedalot. Will def do the medical next trip home to Canada (cheaper than euros where I currently live). Also confusedalot, are you in early retirement then?

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Yes opera, you can call it early retirement.

Anyways, lasik, to my mind, is not an issue, as long as there are no complications.

You still are ''young'' so to speak, but, get yourself in the game as soon as possible before they start hitting you with age restrictions. Once you are in, good to 65 though.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by opera »

Great, lots to mull over, thanks.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

automation will not happen quickly enough to keep you out of the cockpit, there is a rather large fleet to "wear out" before all the new fangled stuff is in every plane! they are pushing brand new triple 7's out the door, and they still need 2 folks up front to fly them. There are tons of 30 year old king airs and 20 year old pilatus pc 12's that need drivers in the north. go for it. the quick movement might help you, as the company at the bottom may know you will likely stay , and the young ones will leave....

opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by opera »

That is a good point anofly, thanks.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

opera wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:09 am ...Currently near perfect eyesight residual slight astigmatism...
Not sure about the astigmatism, even with it being slight. Absolute best idea is to get a Cat 1 medical before investing any money in training. Not sure about the whole age thing, but not being able to get a Cat 1 makes that discussion a moot point anyway. Good luck!

opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by opera »

Thanks, HiFlyChick. I'll be doing the medical sometime in 2018, cheaper in Canada as opposed to where I live in Europe. I noticed your username - in case you are a "chick" :-) I am, too, do you know how I can ask questions on the Ladies Night forum on this board? It says I need special permissions, but doesn't say how to go about it. Thanks.

Return to “Flight Training”