Canadore College frozen iATPL

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Canadore College frozen iATPL

Post by opera »

I just got this e-mail from Essential Helicopters that runs Canadore College's program. I asked about the "commercial fixed-wing pilot certificate" but apparently it is actually a two-year frozen iATPL course (not specified on the college website).

Disappointed to see OSAP cannot be used for this program. $80,000 Canadian + Tax. Full-time 16 months, 5 days/week.

HTH somebody. The info e-mail:

"Please find attached information about our Canadore College Commercial Aeroplane Pilot Licence Program – an Integrated Airline Transport Pilot Course. This is a two year course that integrates both flying, ground school and operational training in a very structured manner.

The iATPL course is approved by Transport Canada (TC). It focuses on `stick and rudder` skills, upset recovery training, glass cockpit and multi-crew training, with a complete Turbine Transition course and "Virtual Type Rating" on the King Air B200. It will also allow you the privilege of writing the Airline Transport Pilot exams by the end of the course. The program gives you a commercial pilot license with multi-engine rating and a frozen ATPL. You will write the written ATPL exam and once you get 1500 hrs of flying your license will convert automatically to an full fledge ATP license.

In Canada, the program is linked to commercial operators through our pilot provisioning pool. Airline interviews are guaranteed to students who meet program benchmarks. We provide our commercial partners, pilots that are "custom trained" to their requirements (using their standard operating procedures - SOP) reducing the integration of their pilots into their operation. Commercial operators will then interview candidates and we will specialize the training of our graduate to this commercial operator specific SOP. Those commercial operators get access to a comprehensive pilot graduate profile package that simplifies their interview/decision-making.

The cost of the program is around $80,000 Canadian + Tax depending on your skills and aptitude in a pay as you go structure, ie you pay what you fly. It is a full-time training program for 16 months, 5 days per week with the use of week-end to catch up sometimes on your flying (you should schedule 18 months to account for weather delays, sickness and time off).

You do not need to have private pilot license for this program.

The College Program – begins in September of each year. This is a full-time course – Monday to Friday - and includes numerous operational courses to enhance your skills as a pilot and assist you in achieving that all important first job. The Underwater Egress Training, the Winter Survival Training and so many more courses that are included in the College Program are not only fun and looks great on a resume but also make prospective employers take notice.

You will start with ground school and then do flights in between to put what you learn into practice.

The next requirement is the medical. You can go to the website below to search for a Transport Canada designated doctor (Civil Aviation Medical Examiner – CAME) near you. The medical is valid for a year, so I would suggest you get it done about 2-3 months before you plan to start your course. If you wear reading glasses or contact lenses, please take your prescription with you to the medical. http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/CAME-MEAC/l.aspx

OSAP is not applicable to this program.

We can also help you with student accommodation. Residence is available for the College Program and private housing is also available.

We encourage you to visit our campus and see firsthand the school, meet the instructors and have all your questions answered.

We look forward to meeting you. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate in contacting me any time.

Any questions can be emailed to info@essentialhelicopters.ca

Elaine Ross
Essential Helicopters/Canadore College
---------- ADS -----------

Stan Darsh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Canadore College frozen iATPL

Post by Stan Darsh »

Who are these "commercial partners"? Essential Helicopters?

opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by opera »

The PDF attached in the e-mail says: "Air Georgian has partnered with us to create a Pilot Provisioning Service for Air Georgian. We have also partnered with Porter Airline, Trans West Airline and Jazz Airlines to provide numerous options and directions for our graduates."

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Great marketing.

So does it says "frozen ATPL" on your ticket after your fork over all that cash, or does it says "commercial pilot", also what the hell is a "virtual type rating" unless its ending up as ink on your ticket, it's worth about Jack diddly.

A green horn CPL is a green horn CPL, just pick the cheapest and fastest route, shy of doing over a hundred or so hours of your CPL in a tailwheel or floats, it's really all the same damn thing.

opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by opera »

@SuperchargedRS Well that's pretty much my reaction, too, except as a noob the rating thing you picked up on escaped me. (The PDF also said all graduates are guaranteed an interview but not a job. Marketing.)

In fact I was surprised to get this answer because the certificate specifically says "commercial fixed wing pilot", airline pilot is not mentioned in the career prospects on the website (Commercial pilot, Charter pilot, Bush pilot, Air ambulance pilot). AND of course the price tag attached, with no OSAP. I thought the drawing point for Ontario's college programs was the possibility of student funding.

But wanted to share regardless for people looking into these programs. So far Confederation College seemed the most straight-forward, answered my query the same day, and the tuition fees are explicitly stated right on the course webpage. Seneca is overkill for my purposes (airline pilot and I just want a CPL) and CPL is a prerequisite for getting into their program.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Give this a read

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-news/ ... =hootsuite

Confed isn't exactly free, nor is it a very well run program, but even confed sounds better than that school you mentioned.

opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by opera »

Thanks for that, sucks for this academic year's students. It must apply to all the colleges that participated in the strike, I guess.

Return to “Flight Training”