CFC Tuition Costs

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

tbanks
Rank 0
Rank 0

CFC Tuition Costs

Post by tbanks »

Hi everyone,

I am currently searching for a school in BC to do my Aviation diploma. I have narrowed it down to BCIT and CFC in boundary bay. CFC sent me a list for the cost of tuition. The only number on this list that has caught my doubtful attention is the 'school supplies' amount. Program tuition for the 1st year (ppl to cpl) is $53,940 and the school supplies for that year is an extra $16,055, totaling $69,995. That is fine with me. I would just like to know if this seems right. $16,005 for school supplies seems outrageous... I'll try to add a photo of the pricing chart. Let my know what you think.

Thank you,

Tristan
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
Cost Summary ATPL CAD Nov17[580].pdf
(636.86 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: CFC Tuition Costs

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

This is insanity. 250 hours of unpaid "coop"?! Are you kidding?! Have you seen all the ads for flight instructors lately?

First of all, I paid $58k from 0-201 hours for a commercial multi IFR, frozen atpl, and with a diploma in aviation technology from Moncton Flight College and did it in 20 months, not 3 years.

I then did my instructor rating for $9k, and got hired by the school I did it at before I'd flight tested. Oh, and I'm making $32.50 an hour.

This program is a scam. Paying for the privilege of instructing for them just makes no sense with the dire shortage of instructors right now.

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

Yea that 250 hours of unpaid flying as coop work is bogus. It's a shame companies will still do that especially in this hiring climate. There's alot of desperate flight schools out there right now that are willing to pay top dollar or even pay for part of your training for the instructor course if I recall. Anyways I've heard good things about BCIT and the Moncton Flight College if your willing to move out east.

tbanks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tbanks »

fixnfly wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:25 pm Yea that 250 hours of unpaid flying as coop work is bogus. It's a shame companies will still do that especially in this hiring climate. There's alot of desperate flight schools out there right now that are willing to pay top dollar or even pay for part of your training for the instructor course if I recall. Anyways I've heard good things about BCIT and the Moncton Flight College if your willing to move out east.
Yes BCIT is my first choice. I'm just looking for an alternative incase I dont get in. I'll check out moncton. It'd be nice to get away from my girlfriend for a bit :wink:

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

I went to BCIT. Now I live in Moncton. Weird.

Also, I have no idea what sort of school supplies would cost you $16K. I rented from CFC after I graduated from BCIT. I always liked it there.

currysonic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by currysonic »

What is backing CFC's Diploma? https://www.privatetraininginstitutions.gov.bc.ca/ ??? You need to do research on that.

On the other hand BCIT has 18,000 full time and 29,000 part time students, I would think their diploma and degree programs is fulling recognized. Probably even with transferable credits if you want to get a degree at another institution/university, but again further research is needed.

sampsonmcd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sampsonmcd »

Never work for free.

Any school that advertises unpaid coop's is a place to stay away from. Makes you wonder where they are cutting corners. Safety and self respect would suggest you follow the money, something isn't right.

Those jobs should be going to pilots who need them. CFC should be ashamed. I dare say the vast majority of your peers will go out of their way to blacklist those who participate in this sort of behaviour.

Good on you for brining this to peoples attention. Too often people enter this industry ripe to be taken advantage of.

And yeah, books dont cost much. 16K is insane

Find a school that has airline agreements, or is subsidized like Confed or Sault

tbanks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tbanks »

sampsonmcd wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:12 am Never work for free.

Any school that advertises unpaid coop's is a place to stay away from. Makes you wonder where they are cutting corners. Safety and self respect would suggest you follow the money, something isn't right.

Those jobs should be going to pilots who need them. CFC should be ashamed. I dare say the vast majority of your peers will go out of their way to blacklist those who participate in this sort of behaviour.

Good on you for brining this to peoples attention. Too often people enter this industry ripe to be taken advantage of.

And yeah, books dont cost much. 16K is insane

Find a school that has airline agreements, or is subsidized like Confed or Sault
Great. Thank you. I hope I get into BCIT's program. 18 months straight and an aviation diploma is perfect in my opinion. I'll keep looking around though.

Return to “Flight Training”