CPL flight test slow flight (Cessna172)

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

TopGun1234
Rank 1
Rank 1

CPL flight test slow flight (Cessna172)

Post by TopGun1234 »

For those of you that have done the CPL flight test in a Cessna172, does the examiner tell you a specific speed to fly it at? I’ve heard one instructor say yes and another say no, just pick any configuration and fly it at 5 KTS above stall.

If the latter is correct, what is the best configuration you chose for slow flight (and to do the 30o turn in slow flight)?
I’ve been doing 45kts with 20o flaps.

Also Vs0 vs Vs1 (C172) : is Vs0 defined as being at full flaps?

Thanks,
---------- ADS -----------

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: CPL flight test slow flight (Cessna172)

Post by flyingcanuck »

I’ve never heard of a speed. Basically just need that stall horn going off for the most part and hold it constant from there. What they will tell you is a configuration, so flaps or none usually.

I believe it’s flaps landing not full? I could be wrong.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: CPL flight test slow flight (Cessna172)

Post by photofly »

There's nothing in any guidance to say that the examiner chooses the configuration, and in fact the candidate chooses the configuration. You are welcome to demonstrate flight at minimum controllable airspeed with any flap setting.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Flight Training”