Tailwheel/Backcountry Instructor Recommend

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

cpknight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Tailwheel/Backcountry Instructor Recommend

Post by cpknight »

I'm checking to see if anyone has any recommendations for tailwheel/backcountry flying instructors in the Southern Alberta or Kooteneys areas. I'd like to find an instructor or school that will do the conventional gear endorsements, but who can also provide a good deal of know-how on mountain and backcountry flying.

I'm asking for myself, but I'm generally working to acquire a couple of light STOL/taildragger type aircraft to try and make available for other pilots in the area as well, and I'd like to make contact with any local freelance instructors who might be interested in this kind of stuff, and who would be willing to work with the various pilots that will come and go in relation to these airplanes. Sort of like the BC/Alberta equivalent to outfits like Stick & Rudder Aviation in or TacAero in Oregon.

Any recommends are muchly appreciated!

- Chris
---------- ADS -----------

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Tailwheel/Backcountry Instructor Recommend

Post by C.W.E. »

I'd like to find an instructor or school that will do the conventional gear endorsements, but who can also provide a good deal of know-how on mountain and backcountry flying.
Your idea is excellent and is something that is needed to make flying more available to recreational pilots.

As to conventional gear endorsements there is no such thing in Canada.

Just find an experienced tail wheel pilot that is a good teacher and that will be just fine.

Good luck and make sure you choose the right airplanes.

A Cub or a Citrabia would be perfect.

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

Montana by Air, Cut Bank Montana, great Instruction.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I'm going to one up shamrock and recommend Bob "Hurricane" Hanah. He is in the mountains of Idaho and does extensive off strip flying.

I would recomend ShinySideUp he was doing tail wheel/mountain stuff out of Okatoks, but I don't know how to find him.

:(

Return to “Flight Training”