Montair Aviation

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

tbanks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Montair Aviation

Post by tbanks »

Hi there,

I am looking for a school to complete my CPL and i have been doing research for months. I have applied to BCIT's program but in the event I don't get in I need a backup plan. After looking at all the schools I was really interested in Montair aviation in Pitt Meadows. They have an integrated ATPL program and have included into the program and tuition (about the same as BCIT's), your choice of King air 90 training or a flight instructor rating. They also seem to have a nice fleet of aircraft and a uniform, which shows me a level of care and professionalism. The only downside is the lack of an aviation diploma and financial assistance. I can deal with that latter so i'm not completely turned off. While researching their website, I noticed that most students were Chinese. Upon further investigation I found out it was just a university of China class that came to do their CPL. Does anyone here have any recent personal EDUCATIONAL experience (not employment. I've already read that thread) or has anyone heard anything about their IATPL program? Are 10 hours of King Air 90 flight training worth it?

Also, do they really only train Chinese students ? I would like to stay away from schools like that to avoid any sort of discrimination. This is a lot of money and time that I will be spending towards my future.

Thank you
---------- ADS -----------

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Montair Aviation

Post by shamrock104 »

Chinese students only, do your research and you will find better schools out there.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

It's pretty well known that "they" have a policy in place which is, we only deal with the students who make us the most money - also known as, locals are a liability.

As for the uniform, who really cares, and besides you can look just as unprofessional wandering the ramp with your shirt untucked and generally looking a slob in said fancy uniform...

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

I'm going to agree with most people here saying that Montair only cares about $$$. I wouldn't train there if I were you. Many moons ago I walked through their door to finish my training and I was treated worse than a beggar. It almost seemed they were offended I didn't write a 100K cheque to them on the spot. Stay clear of that.

"The uniform" is one of your top priority? Message me in private. I'll give you my old hat and you can take the logo off and wear it as you do your circuits in a 150! F*ck it, I'll even throw in my 4 bars I wore when I used to fly up North. All I ask in return is that you post a picture of that here on AVCanada!

Das ist mir wurst...
jjc839
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jjc839 »

I went to their Red Deer base and inquired about finishing my CPL (I'm a local). Told me outright they don't train locals, well, they would maybe consider it if you stayed on for a predetermined length of time.

Thanks but no thanks.

tbanks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tbanks »

Yeah i just went and saw them in pitt meadows. I was told that they are just starting to train locals but their only source of income at the moment are chinese university students that they bring over by the 2 dozens. They just did not seem very organized so I decided to go with PRO instead.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

On that note, wasn't it at Montair that some Chinese student was doing a flight test and it was terminated mid way through. On the way back to the airport, he pushed the yoke trying to kill himself and the instructor / examiner of Montair? Of course this is a story that I heard from someone, that heard it from someone that heard it from someone else. Who knows how true it is. Still, I wouldn't be surprised. I don't think failure is an option for those kids.

Das ist mir wurst...
5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

C'mon Hans - do you really have to post comments like that? Even the comment itself contains a disclaimer that it's pretty much just some BS someone made up. There is certainly no way to prove it actually happened.

If it truly is "all the same to you" as your sig implies, then please use a bit more discretion for the rest of us who value truth and facts.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

HansDietrich wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:23 pm I don't think failure is an option for those kids.
Failure is an option for most. I've trained Chinese students for over 4 years. I've seen quite a few get sent back... most get jobs with their airline still doing other things. One of my old students now helps with English ICAO training, and another one works some sort of ATC.

I've heard some crazy stories in the past too.. but have had no personal experience, except one student we expelled for sneaking a beer on his cross-country flight. He got so mad he punched about a hundred holes in the drywall in the dorms.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Hey,

I just asked the question. I always wondered if that story had any merit to it. Clearly not!

Das ist mir wurst...

Return to “Flight Training”