King Air First Officer program

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

WickeDolphin
Rank 0
Rank 0

King Air First Officer program

Post by WickeDolphin »

Hey folks,
I came across King Air First Officer program. I am wondering how this program on the whole might be? Since it's in the states I will not be able to go down there just to check the school out. It seems as if they offer a solid program, with over 300 hours upon graduating, but,
- Is it a well reputed school? (since I couldn't find alot of information about it on forums)
- Does it provide good networking oppurtunities?
- Can I work for them upon graduating? (since I'm canadian)
- Is Redlands, CA an okay place for a brown guy? I haven't dealt with any racism in Canada and I dont plan on subjecting myself to that. I do understand it's in California but its still a little town from my understanding.

I would also really appreciate it someone could tell me if it a school known as King Air First Officer(which is an odd name) or is it a school operated by King Air? I wasn't able to grasp the whole thing on what this is about cause every time I google it, a bunch of indeed pages relating King Air is popping up.

Thank You.
---------- ADS -----------

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: King Air First Officer program

Post by jg24 »

Just my opinion.....

Website sends red flags in my head. Looks to me like just a scheme to pull money from young pilots trying to 'make it'. EDIT: I checked the whole website and well.... meh.... just a FTU providing advanced training after multi-IFR stage. But in all honesty, not necessary in Canada, if that's where you want to work.

A) it is US based, so you will need your FAA license(s) to fly their N reg'd planes and log the hours. (Unsure where you stand, zero hours, PPL, CPL/M-IR...) If you're starting from square one, than I guess.... but then you'll have to go through conversions to get your TC licenses (not overly complicated) in order to fly here.

B) many people will probably fall in the same boat and say: don't waste your money PAYING for your training/type on a twin turbine. If your Canadian, get your licenses, get a job (easier said than done , i know, but it is GETTING easier now...) and company will provide you with the appropriate training and type rating for said airplane.

C) working for them, as a Canadian, you'll need the proper work Visa etc... Unsure if they have any kind of entry level work programs there, doesn't seem like it, other than becoming an instructor. This will require more time and money to consider on top of the expected costs for the PPL through CPL/M-IR with complex endorsements etc...

D) racism.... hmm.... no comments

I don't think it's a school 'operated by King Air'. They just happen to have one or more King Airs and provide that level of training as well on top of the basics that every other flight school provides.

Again, this is just my opinion. Overall, my advice is just do my training back home.... network at the flight school and local FBO... lock in a flying job and start from there. Even if you don't get onto a BE10 or PC12 at the beginning, IT IS OK! That 182 or 206 job flying survey or pop/chips will get you plenty of valuable experience being the sole pilot responsible for all aspects of the flights and building those PDM skills (Pilot Decision Making, in US they call it Aeronautical Decision making). You'll quickly get onto a Navajo or a twin turbine and get that multi time. Considering the movement that is exponentially growing right now, things will move fast(er) and you will get onto that shiny King Air faster than you expect.

*** Enjoy the ride to where you want to be. ***
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Flight Training”