Conversion

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Windsock206
Rank 0
Rank 0

Conversion

Post by Windsock206 »

Hi guys,
I have slummed my way in the helicopter industry for 7 years now, and I am currently sitting at roughly 2000hrs, mostly in the north. I am interested in converting to a fixed wing license because it is more conducive to a family life (as crazy as that sounds... )

I am going to be turning 29 here shortly. I keep hearing now is a good time to get in. Are there any companies out there that anyone knows of that would give some credit to helicopter time, or will I be need to spend another 4 years spit shining floors to get a PPC again?
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Windsock206
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Conversion

Post by Windsock206 »

Hi guys,
lots of views, hopefully I can get some advice on my latest hurdle...

I pretty well committed myself to this only to find out one pitfall that really makes me question the logic at TC.
For example, I can convert my Helicopter license to Airplane with 100 hrs if airplane flight, of which 35 are dual. In the rest, I can do the night rating, Multi, and IFR. Sounds pretty sweet yea? Even had a job lined up outside flight school... only issue as I discovered was now I cannot complete the IATRA for the 2 crew airplane, which requires 250hrs AIRPLANE time, not total time apparently.

So TC credits 100 hrs of flight time to me and then basically at the same time cripples my job opportunities because 2000 hrs pic time rotary isn't worthy of sitting co-pilot... am I crazy or does this seem crazy?? Talk about a kick in the nuts. :roll:

ActionAxson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Conversion

Post by ActionAxson »

I'll bet there are a number of opportunities to get on with someone who has aircraft that don't require the IATRA to start. Sure, not having the IATRA is a negative. However, surely having 2000 hours Rotary is a much larger plus.

Either way Good luck!

Return to “Flight Training”