best flight schools for foreign students

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

MarioTorres
Rank 0
Rank 0

best flight schools for foreign students

Post by MarioTorres »

Hello, I already have my Ppl, WILL CONVERT IT TO Canadian CPL, but what aviation programs are public to obtain a pgwp?
---------- ADS -----------

mughalb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: best flight schools for foreign students

Post by mughalb »

I am a aspiring aviator. I will start my pilot training in Canada this year. Like you, I will be a international student.
I have done research that will answer your question in detail.

You have a ICAO PPL. You will need to convert it to Canadain PPL which your flight school in Canada will help you convert.
You will receive credit for your PPL in most of the colleges/clubs (Usually around 30 hours).

To get a Canadian CPL and after that to obtain a PGWP, Your CPL training has to be done in Canada.
Getting CPL from another country will NOT make you eligible for PGWP.

Some requirements are:

1. The course you are doing has to be at least or more than 8 months. Any course less then that will not get you qualified for Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP).
2. The course has to be done from a DLI (Designated Learning Institution), Which majority of the colleges/flying schools already are. I will post the link to verify the DLI status of a institution below.
3. for Courses less than 2 years: Post Graduate Work Permit will be issued for the same duration as your training was. i.e If your training was 1 year, Then you get a PGWP of 1 year after training. BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY IF YOUR COURSE WAS ATLEAST 2 YEARS or More. You can get a PGWP of Upto 3 years.

After that you can build hours as a flight instructor and eventually apply for Express Entry Immigration for Permanent Residency in Canada.
You can check out the details in the link below.

This information is correct as of 18th Feb 2018. Check the websites below for up-to-date info.

Best of Luck for your Future Career!

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... ation.html
Check your institution's DLI here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... -list.html

almostbutnotquite
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by almostbutnotquite »

Hi, mughalb! Which school are you going to? I wanted to go to Brampton, but I learned that I won't be eligible for a PGWP if I train there.

EvgiChert
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by EvgiChert »

mughalb wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:26 pm To get a Canadian CPL and after that to obtain a PGWP, Your CPL training has to be done in Canada.
Good day guys,

As you I looking at being an International Student and later try for the PGWP.
I am planing on converting my FAA CPL & IFR and continue on doing MULTI and instructor which will probably going to take me more then a year.

I didn't see anywhere on the www.canada.ca site that you must complete your CPL in Canada, it only says you need to do a flight training which should include MULTI and the Instruction rating.

"Flight instructors
To be eligible, a flight instructor must:

* have completed a flight training course at a Canadian training centre and now have a Canadian commercial pilot’s license or
* have or be in the process of getting an instructor’s rating and a job offer as a flight instructor from a flight training centre. "

Can you please show where you saw that you have to do the CPL in Canada?

Thanks

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

EvgiChert wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:52 am
Good day guys,

As you I looking at being an International Student and later try for the PGWP.
I am planing on converting my FAA CPL & IFR and continue on doing MULTI and instructor which will probably going to take me more then a year.

I didn't see anywhere on the www.canada.ca site that you must complete your CPL in Canada, it only says you need to do a flight training which should include MULTI and the Instruction rating.

"Flight instructors
To be eligible, a flight instructor must:

* have completed a flight training course at a Canadian training centre and now have a Canadian commercial pilot’s license or
* have or be in the process of getting an instructor’s rating and a job offer as a flight instructor from a flight training centre. "

Can you please show where you saw that you have to do the CPL in Canada?

Thanks
You don't have to do the CPL in Canada. If you convert your FAA CPL to the TC CPL, it's basically the same thing as having done it here once you have the booklet in your hand, no difference. It will be a standalone license, no differentiating it as being trained in Canada or not.

EvgiChert
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by EvgiChert »

[/quote]

You don't have to do the CPL in Canada. If you convert your FAA CPL to the TC CPL, it's basically the same thing as having done it here once you have the booklet in your hand, no difference. It will be a standalone license, no differentiating it as being trained in Canada or not.
[/quote]

Excellent, thank you very much for clarifying.

EvgiChert
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by EvgiChert »

mughalb wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:26 pm I am a aspiring aviator. I will start my pilot training in Canada this year. Like you, I will be a international student.
I have done research that will answer your question in detail.

You have a ICAO PPL. You will need to convert it to Canadain PPL which your flight school in Canada will help you convert.
You will receive credit for your PPL in most of the colleges/clubs (Usually around 30 hours).

To get a Canadian CPL and after that to obtain a PGWP, Your CPL training has to be done in Canada.

Some requirements are:

1. The course you are doing has to be at least or more than 8 months. Any course less then that will not get you qualified for Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP).
2. The course has to be done from a DLI (Designated Learning Institution), Which majority of the colleges/flying schools already are. I will post the link to verify the DLI status of a institution below.
3. for Courses less than 2 years: Post Graduate Work Permit will be issued for the same duration as your training was. i.e If your training was 1 year, Then you get a PGWP of 1 year after training. BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY IF YOUR COURSE WAS ATLEAST 2 YEARS or More. You can get a PGWP of Upto 3 years.

After that you can build hours as a flight instructor and eventually apply for Express Entry Immigration for Permanent Residency in Canada.
You can check out the details in the link below.

This information is correct as of 18th Feb 2018. Check the websites below for up-to-date info.

Best of Luck for your Future Career!

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... ation.html
Check your institution's DLI here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... -list.html
Another question,

In any case I must have 8 months training right? and if so is it depends on the duration I receive the student visa for or a specific course?

mughalb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mughalb »

Sorry my bad, What I meant was that according to what I understand, I might be wrong. But it says for the PGWP, You must do your CPL training in Canada or Get a FI Rating in Canada and have a job offer. I think its best to call them up if possible for the best answer to your query. There seems to be alot of confusion.

Yes, You must have minimum 8 months training for PGWP. No, The duration of PGWP wont depend on duration of your student Visa. It only depends on your duration of study.

Return to “Flight Training”