Recurrency question

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Recurrency question

Post by LegoMan »

If I have not flown in more than 5 years, and want to jump back into the King Air. Do I need to do a recurrency in a Cessna or can it be done in the King Air? I understand I will have to do all the commercial flight test exercises.
---------- ADS -----------

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Recurrency question

Post by Aviatard »

Can you spin a King Air?

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Recurrency question

Post by 455tt »

LegoMan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:09 am If I have not flown in more than 5 years, and want to jump back into the King Air. Do I need to do a recurrency in a Cessna or can it be done in the King Air? I understand I will have to do all the commercial flight test exercises.
Depends on your licence.

If you hold a CPL, then you must complete and pass the PSTAR written and complete a flight review with an instructor that will cover everything in the CPL flight test, and this can be spread out over more than one flight if necessary. The flight review is less formal than a flight test since you are doing it with an instructor and not an examiner. The instructor then provides the required certification statement in your pilot logbook.

You will need a spinable aeroplane since incipient spins are included in the flight test standard for the CPL.

If you hold an ATPL, then you still must pass the PSTAR but you would complete the following (the skill requirement for the ATPL) on the King Air with an instructor:

(5) Skill

(a) Within the 12 months preceding the date of application for the licence, an applicant shall demonstrate in a multi-engined aeroplane with no central thrust configuration and fitted with instruments and equipment suitable for IFR flight in controlled airspace, familiarity with and the ability:
(amended 1999/03/01; previous version)
(i) to perform both normal and emergency flight procedures and manoeuvres appropriate to the aeroplane in which the flight test is conducted; and
(ii) to execute all manoeuvres and procedures set forth in Division XIV for issue of a Group 1 instrument rating.

You would not need to spin the King Air since this is not part of the required ATPL skill standard.

References: CARs 401.05 (1), 421.05 (1), 421.34 (5)

Return to “Flight Training”