FAA CPL TO TC CPL with 14 month Hiatus

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

keep_flyin
Rank 0
Rank 0

FAA CPL TO TC CPL with 14 month Hiatus

Post by keep_flyin »

Hello Fellow Pilots

Just needed an advice from you.

I got my FAA ME CPL on Dec 19, 2016 and due to some situation in the family was not able to get my license immediately converted to Transport Canada CPL.

Now thankfully, I will be getting it converted in May this year.

Will I face any issues for the conversion because of all this downtime?

I know that if my FAA IFR has lapsed more than 24 months then I will have to do a FAA IPC flight but I still have another 6 months to go for that so I am in clear in that case.

But would any other issue arise. Would appreciate your guidance and any advice.
Thank You
Safe Flying.
---------- ADS -----------

skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: FAA CPL TO TC CPL with 14 month Hiatus

Post by skybluetrek »

You need an IPC after 12 months as per FAA (you have 6 months to log the required yoursefl and another 6 with a SP).
The FAA-TC conversion agreement requires an IPC, or Checkride in your case, within the last 24 months.

Apart from that you should be in good shape. Have you been studying for your CPL and IFR exams?

keep_flyin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by keep_flyin »

Hey
Thanks a lot for your info.

So I just wanted to confirm, I should be good with the IR. I wouldn’t need an IPC since I am still within the 24 months?

And I have started studying for the CPL exams? But will I also need to give the IFR exam as well? I was thinking that the CPL exam covers them both. I would appreciate if you could confirm that.

Please let me know.
Thank you so much.

skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skybluetrek »

You should be ok with the IR, they just need proof that you've done it within the 24 months, so you may have to submit a letter from the DPE on your checkride or from the flight school.

It's two separate exams, you can take them both the same day or not.

Have you reviewed the Advisory Circular on this? Remeber you can't do any of this untill you get your canadian medical.

keep_flyin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by keep_flyin »

Hi

Thanks for the information.
I have started studying for the CPL course through Pilottraining.ca
Will also study for IFR through it as well. (If you know of any other options please do suggest).

I applied for my medical and am still waiting for it. Contacted them and they said expectancy is mid march so hopefully it comes around then.

Do you have any other suggestions? Appreciate your help.
Thank You

skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skybluetrek »

Pilottraining.ca works out well, although is not cheap. I'd say ''open your mind'' when studying Canadian material, FAA is efficient and great at teaching you what you need to know. Here you have to dive deeper into the topics and become familiar with a lot more stuff. You'll find yourself going back to the PHAK, Aviation Weather AC, etc, in order to really grasp a concept. Also review all canadian publications of course, particulary very helpful is the canadian AIM and the RCAF weather manual.
Don't forget TC provides a study guide for both exams.

All the best.

Return to “Flight Training”