I need some serious help!

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

GAPILOT
Rank 1
Rank 1

I need some serious help!

Post by GAPILOT »

Hope you all are doing great. Let me give you a quick overview of my experience and situation. I currently hold an Australian Private Pilot Licence with 130 hours of Total Aeronautical Experience. I am planning on continuing my training in Canada with Harvs Air or Victoria Flying Club. Some people tell me it will financially benefit me to continue my training in Australia, but the reason to continue my training in Canada is due to the number of job opportunities and also a Canadian Licence is considered in high regards back home (India, in case I don't get a job in Canada). I have not finished grade 12 and am planning on doing an online high school diploma (adult fast track) in Canada. Considering my situation I can say there are some advantages and some disadvantages with each flight school.

Harvs air: Don't have a partnership with a college that offers degrees (which is an asset for airliners).
But have a huge fleet, provide various kinds of courses and provide ATPL training. Read a lot of positive review about it in here (AVCANADA )too

Victoria Flying Club: Don't provide ATPL training, have only one multi-engine aircraft.
They have partnered with University of Victoria who provide a Degree in Business Management in Aviation and say that they can accept me even without my grade 12th, ONLY IF I FINISH MY TRAINING WITH VFC. This will really help me save time as I then don't have to do grade 12th immediately.

I'm looking for any answers that can help me, as I'm in quite in a pickle here. Thank you everyone!
---------- ADS -----------

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: I need some serious help!

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Just tossing this out there, but if you can get a visa to train in the US it will widen your degree options and speed up the whole process due to the different culture when it comes to "education"

You won't need to take some silly highschool class online, just take a GED test over a afternoon, than a placement test at the college, you can get your 2 year degree done both in classroom AND do courses online, I also wouldn't worry about the ATPL stuff as you won't have the hours for it anyways, also might want to look into a stand alone real degree, as in a 2 year degree in nursing that also give you a RN license, a 2 year welding degree, if you play your cards right and look around you could also take a 2 year A&P course and end up with the token degree too, plus you'd be able to market yourself as someone who can wrench on a plane as well, frankly I wouldn't waste my time or money on a "aviation degree".

Just thought I'd toss that out there, otherwise just pick the route that gets you your CPL the fastest and the cheapest, bonus points if you can start off in a tailwheel or glider.

GAPILOT
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GAPILOT »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:32 am Just tossing this out there, but if you can get a visa to train in the US it will widen your degree options and speed up the whole process due to the different culture when it comes to "education"

You won't need to take some silly highschool class online, just take a GED test over a afternoon, than a placement test at the college, you can get your 2 year degree done both in classroom AND do courses online, I also wouldn't worry about the ATPL stuff as you won't have the hours for it anyways, also might want to look into a stand alone real degree, as in a 2 year degree in nursing that also give you a RN license, a 2 year welding degree, if you play your cards right and look around you could also take a 2 year A&P course and end up with the token degree too, plus you'd be able to market yourself as someone who can wrench on a plane as well, frankly I wouldn't waste my time or money on a "aviation degree".

Just thought I'd toss that out there, otherwise just pick the route that gets you your CPL the fastest and the cheapest, bonus points if you can start off in a tailwheel or glider.
Thank you so much for the quick reply @SuperchargedRS . While US does seem like a good option I have decided to opt it out, as my main goal is to get settled in Canada. Yes, college degrees are good to acquire but 2 years is a lot of time and most importantly it's something I can't afford right now. That's why I was planning on going with University of Victoria's (UVic) Business Management in Aviation, Diploma. It takes 9 months and costs only 10K.

Quick question, do you think it's worth it to do an online high school diploma for adults (fast track) or just skip all this mess and take the diploma with UVic without doing grade 12 right now?

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

No worries, happy to help

All I can say is I dropped out of highschool to start college early, when you have a degree no one really cares about your highschool.

Lol, actually no one really cares about my degree ether, date wise my degree should raise red flags since I was only 18 when I got it, yet no one, in over a decade, has EVER asked about it at a interview, a only one employer checked that I actually had it, and that was a large company in the medical industry.

Return to “Flight Training”