Moncton Flight College vs Air Richelieu (Montreal)

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

mughalb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Moncton Flight College vs Air Richelieu (Montreal)

Post by mughalb »

Hello there, I am a foriegn prospective student. I have shortlisted 2 flight schools with their respective pros and cons. Please help me choose among them. Also let me know what you think about the instructors and quality of instruction there.

1. Moncton Flight College.
Pros:
a) Comparatively Cheaper i.e 61,000 CAD for Diploma in Av. Tech Program ( Including Frozen ATPL ).
b) Relatively Newer Fleet (Diamond DA 20)
c) Past Legacy of the school
d) Partnership with Porter Airlines (Destination Porter)

Cons:
a) No partnership with Jazz Pathway Program
b) Less than 2 years program (It is a con because for a International Student if he does a program of 2 or more years, He gets a Open Work Permit of 3 years)

2. College Air Richelieu.
Pros:
a) Big City, Montreal. Ease of Accesibility to come back or visit home country. Including more urban lifestyle
b) Partnership with Air Jazz in Pathway Program.
c) Almost 2 years Program. (past grads have got a Open Work Permit of 3 Years)

Cons:
a) Expensive (CAD 76000 for Integreted ATPL program)
b) The above price is including training on a Cessna 150.
c) Unsure of quality of Instruction

Please let me know which is better. Some question you can address are
1. Whose quality of instruction is better?
2. Is AIR JAZZ PATHWAY PROGRAM Partnership worth it? If so, Should I choose Air Richelieu because of this Program?

Also can you shed any additional light on Jazz Pathway Program. Anyone of you hired by jazz through this? If so, Which school you went to and how it worked out?
---------- ADS -----------

superbilly24
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Moncton Flight College vs Air Richelieu (Montreal)

Post by superbilly24 »

I have done my training at Moncton Flight College and can give you a bit of info.

In general, it is a pretty great school and I enjoyed doing my training there. They have a large fleet, approx 30 DA20, 3 C172, 3 PA44. Weather in the Maritimes can be all over the place, which can slow things down in the winter months, but you also get some good experience out of it. The Diploma program is a 2 year program, and there is the ICPC program (55k) that can be done in 12 months that also gives you the frozen ATPL, for someone that might be a bit older and has prior education. The Diploma starts every September, and the last course had approx 20 students. The ICPC starts in May and September. The May courses are usually smaller (5 students in 2017).
Maintenance is top notch. You see something wrong, you snag the aircraft, they fix it. MFC has a very good safety record.
I believe the school currently has around 400 students, and about 75% are Chinese students. They have contracts with a few airlines in China. Those students come to Canada for a year and go back to China to fly an Airbus after their training is over.
I would say the quality of instruction is very good. Most instructors are previous students that did their instructor rating after graduation. Even tho most of them are young, they are pretty knowledgable. The programs are very well structured, which makes it easy for instructors to follow, and avoid extra costs. The school likes to hire instructors that did their training at MFC, if its something that would eventually interest you afterwards.
I should also mention that MFC was recently bought by EIC, which owns several airlines in Canada (PAL, Perimeter, Bearskin, Calm Air, etc). PAL already hires a lot of MFC instructors, and they are working on some kind of program to make it easier for instructor to flow to those companies.

Cons :
1 - Moncton is a pretty small town, and the bus system is far from the best. One thing I have heard from international students, is that it can be hard to get by without a car. Lots of apartments walking distance from the school, but the airport is a 10 minutes drive from downtown Moncton.
2 - They have a large fleet, but also a lot of students that want to fly. When you have a week of bad weather, it can be hard to get a plane when the weather finally turns out nice, because everyone wants to fly at the same time. Once you have a night rating, most of the cross country time building will be done at night, since dual flights and students without a night rating get priority during the day. Flight ops runs 24/7.

PM if you wanna know more. Hope this helps.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

I will say that Moncton has two campuses one in Moncton and Fredericton. Both come with onsite dorms (depending on availability.) The moncton campus is bigger and closer to downtown than Fredericton airport.

superbilly24
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by superbilly24 »

That is true, although Fredericton currently only has the China program. There is no domestic students currently training in Fredericton, unless maybe a couple students doing a modular PPL. The diploma program and 1 year ICPC program are only offered in Moncton.

Calmaor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Calmaor »

Hello, I'm on the same situation as an international student but I haven't decide which college/university to take I have only decided that I want an aviation diploma and not degree , I'm right now paying special attention to Mount Royal university , apparently it's a 2 year program which will also qualified me for a PGWP ,also is very good looking the cornesoga college at Waterloo, ON.Both of them on JAZZ pathway and PORTER .
But I'm a bit confused about the enrolment. Can you message me please ? You can help me as you are looking for the same as me .

Marcosfkr100@hotmail.com

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

Both places are good... One will say Moncton is better, others will say Richelieu is better.

Go visit and talk to the owners/instructors, and see by yourself which one fits best what you are expecting from them.

They key will be your assigned instructor. Don't hesitate to ask for a change if you feel it's not a good fit.

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
dronehawk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dronehawk »

Sorry for hijacking the thread ;)

How does Moncton flight college compare with Brampton Flight Center as a choice for international students?

Return to “Flight Training”