Job for Funding Flight Training

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

evand.13
Rank 1
Rank 1

Job for Funding Flight Training

Post by evand.13 »

Hi all,

I’m currently in grade 10 and looking at different ways to make a good career for myself flying.

If I were to work full time for 2 or so years (living with mom & dad), what job would you recommend trying to do?

If anyone else took this route, what work did you do to save up for flight school.

Thanks

Evan
---------- ADS -----------

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Job for Funding Flight Training

Post by flyingjerry »

Get into the restaurant industry and try and become a server or bartender as soon as possible. Tips will easily be over $100/shift. Alternatively, some people have worked the Rigs in Alberta for a few years before chasing the dream. Also look into the College's that have a publicly funded flight element. I believe confed is one.

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingjerry »

Get into the restaurant industry and try and become a server or bartender as soon as possible. Tips will easily be over $100/shift. Alternatively, some people have worked the Rigs in Alberta for a few years before chasing the dream. Also look into the College's that have a publicly funded flight element. I believe confed is one.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

I did the oil patch for several years before and during my flight training. My first year, I stayed home and was able to bank over 40k. It can be dangerous though. If you got a good head on your shoulders and you're strong and independent, I highly recommend it. It builds character and a ton of muscle.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
20DMEYYZ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 20DMEYYZ »

Evan is in grade10 so he would only be working backhouse if at a restaurant. instead of serving you can try for a dishwasher position at a local pub. i would normally of recommended an FBO job but your probably a bit young to be airside. but maybe you could find a job washing planes at your nearest airport? no matter what, don't sacrifice your highschool life just to work and save100%. find a job you enjoy and be safe and things will work out for you!

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

Try to find a full-time job from 6 to 3 PM and go to flight school afterwards.

Work 40 hrs / week and make your ratings in 13/14 months.

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Evan, if you can, try to spend some time working at a local airport, even menial work. Prepare for anti glamour, and poor if any pay, but, it will put you were planes and pilots are. You will have a smoother and faster transition to flying, if flying people know and like you, and you have learned about planes along the way. The occasional flight will probably come your way too. I was younger than you when I first hung around the airport, and offered to scrub the oily bellies of planes. By earning the friendship of a few fine pilots, I was rewarded with 50+ hours of right seat flying experience before I ever took a flying lesson.

I can't argue against the logic of a well paying non aviation job, but if you want to be around planes and pilots, be around planes and pilots!

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Good for you even asking in grade 10, seeking wisdom ways to WORK for what you want and achieve a dream.

Maturity many older than you can learn from.

Don't lose that attitude. Will take you far.

maturepilot83
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maturepilot83 »

Evan -

Saving means controlling your spending too.

Get a steady job. Tim Hortons is always hiring. Hit the books early. Start with From the Ground Up.

I was like you too when I was younger buy my parents stopped me.

Stay laser focused on this and you'll get it.

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

I’m a long-time lurker but your post finally convinced me to join in.

I’ll echo what others have said in that it’s outstanding that you have a goal and are already working towards it. I have no civilian flying experience, not even a PPL, so can’t speak to that side but am going on my 13th year with the military and am currently an instructor in Moose Jaw. Have you given any consideration to starting your career with the Air Force? There are several avenues open at the moment with varying completion time, however, all pay you to become a pilot and allow you to fly some superb machines.

I encourage you to get a part-time job, however, never allow it to detract from school or enjoying your high-school years. You can always work for a year after graduation if required.

ahkhamza
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ahkhamza »

Get in the auto insurance industry. Call centre baswd companies. They will train you. Pretty much you will have a flexible schedule. Make a decent living while flying on the weekends.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Evan,
Good for you for doing your research.
If you have to take a minimum wage job, do it at an airport where you can meet potential employers and get a feel for the job. Maybe working as a dispatcher/fuller at a local glying school.
Having said that I think that there are a lot of better jobs out there for a motivated kid than minimum wage Tim Horton's work.
All the best!

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

TT1900 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:55 pm
I encourage you to get a part-time job, however, never allow it to detract from school or enjoying your high-school years. You can always work for a year after graduation if required.
Yes this is good advice - be sure that you finish and graduate from high school first! Get good grades! Then when you graduate go out and work but in the long run becoming a pilot is pretty easy but getting a good education is really, really important so make this your priority and the flying will fall into place.

Return to “Flight Training”