FTU-OC

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

FTU-OC

Post by C.W.E. »

From another thread......
Re: Exce$$ive ground briefings
#35 Post by C.W.E. » Sun May 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Back to my saying what Canada needs is to get rid of the FTU-OC fiasco and allow instructors to teach based on the fact they are licensed flight instructors like the FAA does.

We have T.C. inspector's that read these forums I am sure, maybe one could tell us why we need a FTU-OC to be able to teach the PPL?

I believe B.P.F. is a T.C. employee now and is in the flight training department?

Maybe he can comment?
---------- ADS -----------

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: FTU-OC

Post by Zaibatsu »

We could always be like the United States and have a graduated instructor rating system (i.e.: single engine, twin engine, IFR, etc) and dumb ratings for everything else. I'm surprised they don't have a cowl flaps rating... and require a cowl flaps rated instructor to teach students on cowl flaps aircraft.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

We could always be like the United States and have a graduated instructor rating system (i.e.: single engine, twin engine, IFR, etc) and dumb ratings for everything else. I'm surprised they don't have a cowl flaps rating... and require a cowl flaps rated instructor to teach students on cowl flaps aircraft.
I have three questions for you Zaibatsu.

First.

What is wrong with demonstrating you are qualified and competent to teach those subjects?

Second question.

How much training have you done in the USA with their flight instructors under their training system?

Third question.

Have you gone through the process TC requires to be issued a FTU-OC?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Is it appropriate that TC requires an OC (and associated paperwork and oversight) if you run a 705 airline offering scheduled airline transport to the public?

Is it appropriate that TC requires an OC (and associated paperwork and oversight) if you run a 704 airline offering regional scheduled services to the public?

Is it appropriate that TC requires an OC (and associated paperwork and oversight) if you run a 703 charter operation offering air taxi services to the public?

Is it appropriate that TC requires an OC (and associated paperwork and oversight) if you run a 702 aerial work company offering services to the public (helicopter long line for example)?

Is it appropriate that TC requires an OC (and associated paperwork and oversight) if you offer flight training services to the public?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

My question was directed at comparing the FAA's rules to TCCA's rules.

In the USA a licensed flight instructor can give flight instruction for the issuance of a PPL without having to be the holder of a flight school certificate.

Lets examine this closer.
Is it appropriate that TC requires an OC (and associated paperwork and oversight) if you offer flight training services to the public?
In Canada you can teach multi engine ratings, IFR ratings, and seaplane ratings without needing a flying school certificate, does that not qualify as flight training services photofly?.

Am I to take it that one can teach these advanced skills and not be capable of teaching basic flying skills?

Last edited by C.W.E. on Tue May 15, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:57 pm Is it appropriate that TC requires an OC (and associated paperwork and oversight) if you run a 705 airline offering scheduled airline transport to the public?

Is it appropriate that TC requires an OC (and associated paperwork and oversight) if you run a 704 airline offering regional scheduled services to the public?

Is it appropriate that TC requires an OC (and associated paperwork and oversight) if you run a 703 charter operation offering air taxi services to the public?

Is it appropriate that TC requires an OC (and associated paperwork and oversight) if you run a 702 aerial work company offering services to the public (helicopter long line for example)?

Answers to those questions are meaningless without detailing what you find appropriate for an OC. That you require an OC for an FTU is not bad by itself. It is bad that it requires many months to years to get one. Instead of assuming all the paperwork that being submitted is wrong, they should assume everything is correct until proven otherwise. A bit like applying for an ATPL if you will: no way they can check every hour unless their is a strong suspicion of fraud. Same thing for the OC. Let's say max processing time should be 3 months for the whole thing. If something is wrong/missing/needs adjustment you change it right away and the change gets accepted right away. Not an additional 3 months for every spelling mistake.

Then, during operation, a quick visit is all that is needed -if that-, unless suspicion of fraud or infringements etc is there. A realistic knowledge of the CARs should be mandatory for the inspectors. Don't let results from inspections drag on for months / over a year. Theoretically, that's how it is supposed to be anyways, but some inspectors seem to have the need to go through everything and expect malice in every little document in every little typo that they find.

Overal I find the Canadian system pretty ok in itself, but it is just so excruciatingly slow if you want to operate an(y) aircraft commercially.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

C.W.E. wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:15 pm My question was directed at comparing the FAA's rules to TCCA's rules.

In the USA a licensed flight instructor can give flight instruction for the issuance of a PPL without having to be the holder of a flight school certificate.

Lets examine this closer.
In Canada you can teach multi engine ratings, IFR ratings, and seaplane ratings without needing a flying school certificate, does that not qualify as flight training services photofly?.

Am I to take it that one can teach these advanced skills and not be capable of teaching basic flying skills?
I do see the inconsistency in allowing some training without an OC, but not all. If we want consistency, one way to achieve it is to require *all* training to be done at an FTU.

To refer to your specific point "Am I to take it that one can teach these advanced skills and not be capable of teaching basic flying skills" - yes, I think it's entirely possible to be able to teach advanced skills and not be able to teach the basics. There are a lot of people who can teach the differential calculus but would be lost teaching someone to count to ten. There are a lot of people who can teach journalism or english literature who wouldn't know how to teach someone to read.

I think individual instructors should be allowed to teach, without an OC. I think oversight for organisations who do flight training is appropriate. I also think that digits's point about what is the appropriate level of oversight is a good one.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

We are in agreement.
I think individual instructors should be allowed to teach, without an OC.
I think oversight for organisations who do flight training is appropriate.
We are in agreement.
I also think that digits's point about what is the appropriate level of oversight is a good one.
Not to mention the agony and financial losses one has to go through to get any operating certificate from TCCA, their process borders on being criminal treatment of a Canadian citizen by forcing them to spend up to years complying with their demanding rewriting of the applications because they found spelling or punctuation mistakes that a computer can correct in seconds instead of months.

We will see if anyone from TCCA will give their side of this subject.

Do you think they will?

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

It would be a little bit more fair if we did not have to pay taxes while we were waiting for them to approve the O.C. application, and maybe that would speed up the process?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I think so. I am an example of a pilot who has trained other pilots in complex types, without being qualified to teach the basics. Whether I'm good or not in training basics is an unanswered question, I've never taken instructor training. I should know more about that skill. Occasionally, during advanced training, I have suspected that my candidate really needed more basic training. I tried, but think that perhaps I was not the best person to refresh the basic skills.
require a cowl flaps rated instructor to teach students on cowl flaps aircraft.
Perhaps a little extreme, though pilots should be conversant with the features of the types that they fly. This is best achieved through mentoring, perhaps during flight. Too often I have undertaken advanced training for someone, to find that they lacked some skills which should have been mentored to them, and they did not bother to, or know to seek for themselves.

I opine that Canada allows "experienced" float pilots to recommend for float endorsements because it can be acknowledged that the old timer at the bush operation really could mentor the newly licensed dock hand/pilot to be a float pilot - and probably do a better job of it than some flying schools who to not have the "environment" for that training. I think that 50 hours on class as a criteria is low though....

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

photofly wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:57 pm Is it appropriate that TC requires an OC (and associated paperwork and oversight) if you run a 705 airline offering scheduled airline transport to the public?
No
photofly wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:57 pm Is it appropriate that TC requires an OC (and associated paperwork and oversight) if you run a 704 airline offering regional scheduled services to the public?
No
photofly wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:57 pm Is it appropriate that TC requires an OC (and associated paperwork and oversight) if you run a 703 charter operation offering air taxi services to the public?
No
photofly wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:57 pm Is it appropriate that TC requires an OC (and associated paperwork and oversight) if you run a 702 aerial work company offering services to the public (helicopter long line for example)?
No
photofly wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:57 pm Is it appropriate that TC requires an OC (and associated paperwork and oversight) if you offer flight training services to the public?
No

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

C.W.E. wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:50 pm Not to mention the agony and financial losses one has to go through to get any operating certificate from TCCA, their process borders on being criminal treatment of a Canadian citizen by forcing them to spend up to years complying with their demanding rewriting of the applications because they found spelling or punctuation mistakes that a computer can correct in seconds instead of months.

We will see if anyone from TCCA will give their side of this subject.
I've never worked for TC, but have set up 2 FTU-OC- one in Pacific region, the other in Ontario. They were both in the slightly less than 2 month range from submission to issuance of the OC if I recall correctly. I've never felt it to be unreasonable.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Bede wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:00 am
I've never worked for TC, but have set up 2 FTU-OC- one in Pacific region, the other in Ontario. They were both in the slightly less than 2 month range from submission to issuance of the OC if I recall correctly. I've never felt it to be unreasonable.
In what year was that?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

digits_ wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:33 am
In what year was that?
Pacific c. 1999
Ontario c. 2008

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

You have given two examples from your own experience Bede.

Am I to take it that slightly less than two months is the normal time frame for getting an operating certificate and just a few people experience far, far longer time to get approval or are stonewalled till we quit which happened to me, they stonewalled me for years not months.

Maybe we are just dangerous high risk people and T.C. is trying to protect the public from us?

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

“Maybe we are just dangerous high risk people and T.C. is trying to protect the public from us?”

I think you nailed it!

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

That has to be it trey kule because the OC I had applied for was for a FTU and the last thing TC wanted to see was me involved in people learning to fly.

Hell they may have turned out to be as dangerous and accident prone as I was. :prayer:

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Bede wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:27 am
digits_ wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:33 am
In what year was that?
Pacific c. 1999
Ontario c. 2008
I am pleasantly surprised. Thanks!

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

C.W.E. wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:01 pm
You have given two examples from your own experience Bede.

Am I to take it that slightly less than two months is the normal time frame for getting an operating certificate and just a few people experience far, far longer time to get approval or are stonewalled till we quit which happened to me, they stonewalled me for years not months.

Maybe we are just dangerous high risk people and T.C. is trying to protect the public from us?
I have no idea what the "normal" time frame is. I have no idea why "just a few people" experience far longer times, but it would seem to suggest that long wait times have more to do with the applicant than systemic TC problems.

It's worthy to mention that there are people who are good pilots, but poor instructors. There's also good instructors but poor at government paperwork. I'm not a fan of government paperwork either, but I am pretty good at hoop jumping. Maybe that's why my TC stuff never takes that long.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Well I can assure you my long wait had nothing to do with my being poor at government paper work Bede.

It did have a lot to do with abuse of power on the part of TC though, and it involved several TC managers right up to the top.

In the end I was far better off than when it all started but a few of them were not.

Especially the guy who started it as he became proof that government employees at that level do get fired.

Return to “Flight Training”