Cpl flight test hours

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Cpl flight test hours

Post by rotorspeed »

Are you required to have 100 hours pic before you can do your CPL flight test. One school told me no just 100 hours total. If looked on transport canada website and I haven't found the answer
---------- ADS -----------

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Cpl flight test hours

Post by northernpilot2 »

If I remember correctly, 100 hours to write the written, and 150 hours to attempt flight test. Its been a long time so I may be wrong.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

I Googled "Admission to CPL flight test" and this came out... Perhaps a but more effort next time?

Admission to the Flight Test
For admission to a flight test required for the issuance of a Commercial Pilot Licence – Aeroplane, or a complete re-test, and to meet the requirements of CAR Standard 421.14, the candidate will present:

a photo identification with signature;

a valid flight crew permit, licence or foreign pilot licence issued by a contracting state;

proof of meeting the medical standards for the Commercial Pilot Licence,

a letter from a qualified flight instructor certifying that:

training for all of the exercises in the Flight Training Manual and the Flight Instructor Guide from Ex. 1 thru to Ex. 25 and Exercises 29 and 30, including Ex. 13 has been completed;

a pre-test evaluation of all required flight test exercises was completed with the candidate;

the candidate is considered to have reached a sufficient level of proficiency to complete the flight test for the issuance of the Commercial Pilot Licence - Aeroplane; and

the instructor recommends the candidate for the flight test.

evidence of having completed no less than 75% of the total flying experience required for application for a Commercial Pilot Licence - Aeroplane;

proof of having successfully completed the required written examination and a letter from a qualified instructor certifying that a review of subject area(s) identified as having deficiencies by the Written Examination and Feedback Report has been carried out and the candidate meets the proficiency standards for the Commercial Pilot Licence. This requirement does not apply to candidates enrolled in an approved CPL(A), CPL(A)/IR or ATP(A) integrated course.

Note: Items (d), (e) and (f) above may be incorporated on the same letter of recommendation but with separate signatures for each certification. Refer to the sample at the end of this document.

Going for the deck at corner
rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

Your exert doesn't answer the question re pic hours I checked tp website and it is 100 pic. My next question would be do you have to wait til you have around 70hrs pic to start the training

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Well, if we have to take your hand and feed you the answer... the next step is to check the pre-requisite for the issuance of a CPL. Again, I typed "CPL issuance requirements" in Google and the first link, after some scrolling, brought two things:

First, the legal confirmation of what I previously found out:

(4) To be eligible to attempt a flight test required for the issue of a permit, licence or rating:

(a) an applicant for a Pilot Permit - Gyroplane or a Private Pilot Licence shall have completed a minimum of 35 hours of the total flying experience required for that permit or licence;
(amended 2012/02/19; previous version)
(b) an applicant for a Passenger Carrying Rating – Ultra-light Aeroplane or Pilot Permit - Recreational - Aeroplane shall have met all of the experience requirements required for the rating or permit;
(c) an applicant for a permit or licence, other than a Pilot Permit - Gyroplane, Pilot Permit - Recreational - Aeroplane or Private Pilot Licence, shall have completed a minimum of 75% of the total flying experience required for that permit or licence;
(amended 2006/12/14; previous version)
(d) except as specified in paragraph (e) below, an applicant for an instrument or instructor rating flight test shall have met all the applicable knowledge and experience requirements set out in Division XIV, Division XVIII or Division XIX of Subpart 401 for the particular rating applied for prior to the flight test;
(e) an applicant for a Flight Instructor Rating – Ultra-light Aeroplane, shall have completed a minimum of 25 hours of the total flying experience required for the rating.
(amended 2012/02/19; no previous version)

Then, a bit further:

(4) Experience

(a) An applicant for a commercial pilot licence — aeroplane shall
(i) have completed, subject to paragraph (b), a minimum of 200 hours flight time in aeroplanes, of which a minimum of 100 hours shall be pilot-in-command time including 20 hours cross-country pilot-in-command flight time, and
(ii) following the issuance of a private pilot licence — aeroplane by Canada or another contracting state, have completed 65 hours of commercial pilot flight training in aeroplanes consisting of a minimum of:
(A) 35 hours dual instruction flight time, under the direction and supervision of the holder of a Flight Instructor Rating — Aeroplane, including:
(I) 5 hours night, including a minimum of 2 hours of cross-country flight time;
(II) 5 hours cross-country, which may include the cross-country experience stated in subclause (I); and
(III) 20 hours of instrument flight time in addition to the experience stated in subclauses (I) and (II). A maximum 10 hours of the 20 hours may be conducted on an approved aeroplane simulator or synthetic flight training device.
(B) 30 hours solo flight time including:
(I) 25 hours solo flight time emphasizing the improvement of general flying skills of the applicant which shall include a cross-country flight to a point of a minimum of 300 nautical mile radius from the point of departure and shall include a minimum of 3 landings at points other than that of departure; and
(II) 5 hours solo flight time by night during which a minimum of 10 takeoffs, circuits and landings were completed.
(b) An applicant who is a graduate from an approved integrated course shall have completed the applicable experience requirements in section 426.75 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations.
(amended 2006/12/14; no previous version)

Do I need to do the math for you?

Going for the deck at corner
rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

No I think you need to piss off

Bradley Tucker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bradley Tucker »

I do think you need to tell the guy that did your research for you to piss off rotorspeed. When I think back to when I got my CPL I was the one that researched my information. Part of learning this industry at the commercial level is navigating the CARs. I admit they can be difficult but as a pilot at any level you need to know how to read them and navigate them, not expect others to do it for you.

On another note if the school is ready to recommend you then I would say you meet the min requirements for the flight test like any other License you need a recommendation from an instructor. That is your final answer to your question.

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

AuxBatOn wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:20 am Do I need to do the math for you?
Yes AuxBatOn more details would help - are you saying based on your reading of the CARs and Standards that the OP must have the 100 hours PIC to do the CPL flight test, along with 150 hours total, or are you saying as long as he/she has 150 hours total flying experience a flight test can be taken, even if he/she does not yet have the 100 hours PIC?

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

deleted to avoid controversy on this site.

LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

I did my CPL FT with 75% of the requirements, so I had 150 hours TT, and 75 PIC.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Bradley Tucker wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:36 am I do think you need to tell the guy that did your research for you to piss off rotorspeed. When I think back to when I got my CPL I was the one that researched my information. Part of learning this industry at the commercial level is navigating the CARs. I admit they can be difficult but as a pilot at any level you need to know how to read them and navigate them, not expect others to do it for you.

On another note if the school is ready to recommend you then I would say you meet the min requirements for the flight test like any other License you need a recommendation from an instructor. That is your final answer to your question.
The CARS aren't always very clear, but in this case it means 75% of the total flying experience (i.e. 150 hours total time). No requirement for any PIC time until you actually apply for your licence.

Return to “Flight Training”