Curious on the IFR flight test questions

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Curious on the IFR flight test questions

Post by clairvoyant »

A full disclaimer:
***I am trying to get my mindset in the IFR flight test.***
Perhaps people who have done it before can provide any useful feedback.

What are the typical flight planning (ground items) tricky questions that flight examiners will ask? (aside from the weight and balance, take off distance, one engine absolute ceiling, icing, winds related to the aircraft performance, etc).

What are the acceptable methods to obtain RAIM predictions? Typically I just enter the fix and the time on the aircraft GPS then see if it's available then check KGPS.

Aside from the usual icing encounters, landing minima, RVOP/LVOP, etc; what are other tricky questions that flight examiners will ask on IFR Operational Knowledge (Ground and Air Item)?

Based on the latest TSO-C129/C129a page 101 of TC AIM, in case one experiences GPS malfunction en route; "It may be possible to change the alternate or adjust the departure time (and hence the ETA) and re-run the prediction to find a time for which the required RAIM availability is achieved, or simply to find a time when fewer than two satellite outages are predicted."

Is this an acceptable answer for GPS malfunction en route within the emergency procedure questions?
Thank you in advance for your feedback.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Curious on the IFR flight test questions

Post by photofly »

clairvoyant wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:39 pm Based on the latest TSO-C129/C129a page 101 of TC AIM, in case one experiences GPS malfunction en route; "It may be possible to change the alternate or adjust the departure time (and hence the ETA) and re-run the prediction to find a time for which the required RAIM availability is achieved, or simply to find a time when fewer than two satellite outages are predicted."

Is this an acceptable answer for GPS malfunction en route within the emergency procedure questions?
Do you consider RAIM unavailable to be an emergency?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clairvoyant »

Probably not an emergency since I still have HSI, ILS, and DME which are totally independent of the GPS. I just have to disengage the "slave mode".
I overheard someone said something about the flight examiner asked for the emergency procedures in case of GPS malfunction en route.
I just need firm answers in case of questions like that.
I am going through my CAP GEN, weather, POH, etc. just to mentally prepare.

bring me the horizon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bring me the horizon »

clairvoyant wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:39 pm
What are the typical flight planning (ground items) tricky questions that flight examiners will ask? (aside from the weight and balance, take off distance, one engine absolute ceiling, icing, winds related to the aircraft performance, etc).
The examiner typically won't ask about W+B or performance questions since you should have been asked all that for your multi flight test. The IFR flight test is just IFR questions. The ground portion is just a couple sections on the report such as wx briefing, nav log. This is where they'll ask you to whip open your cap randomly and answer questions on departures, arrivals, approaches, appr. bans and typical "gotchas" one can expect in real world ifr. The rest in the aircraft doesn't actually start until you do your cockpit avionics checks and departure briefing.

You'll have to do a pre ride before the actual ride and that'll give you a good sense of what to expect. Study the capgen page 1 to page 33. RAC 6.0 to 10.0 and study your plates inside and out. You'll do fine.

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clairvoyant »

Thank you for your pointer there. A different flight examiner asked me all sort of ASDA, take off distance, landing distance, etc. during my multi test 2 weeks ago.
So, the flight examiner will typically not ask about the cold temperature corrections and onward from the CAPGEN?

....which brings me to the next questions on calculating fuel requirements.
I usually calculate Start/Taxi/Run up + Climb + Enroute + Approach/missed + Alternate + 45 minutes reserve + Contingencies.
Does it look OK here?

Thank you in advance for your help.

bring me the horizon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bring me the horizon »

clairvoyant wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:22 pm Thank you for your pointer there. A different flight examiner asked me all sort of ASDA, take off distance, landing distance, etc. during my multi test 2 weeks ago.
So, the flight examiner will typically not ask about the cold temperature corrections and onward from the CAPGEN?
The examiner can ask you anything from the capgen, including but not limited to cold temperature corrections. Familiarize yourself with the Flight Test Guide: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... .htm#toc27

clairvoyant wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:22 pm ....which brings me to the next questions on calculating fuel requirements.
I usually calculate Start/Taxi/Run up + Climb + Enroute + Approach/missed + Alternate + 45 minutes reserve + Contingencies.
Does it look OK here?
Yes

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

Sorry to resurrect the old thread. Has anyone recently been through an initial group 1 ride A) from Victoria and B) under the new flight test guide? I know the routing and have been beating this dead horse for weeks waiting for a broken airplane. But I’ll be getting test ready as of Friday and any help is appreciated.

Return to “Flight Training”