International students and Post Grad Work Permit questions

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

flyingjunkie
Rank 0
Rank 0

International students and Post Grad Work Permit questions

Post by flyingjunkie »

Hey everyone,

So I am an international student about to begin my flight training in Canada and I am confused as to which flying program should i choose. My confusion is between the integrated ATPL program and the self paced CPL program.

Integrated programs is hard paced program with intense workload and if im not wrong, you cant take breaks or do courses separately, its all inclusive. While the self paced cpl is more laxed meaning you can start anytime, take breaks, complete courses separately and is also cheaper.

So according to Post Graduate Work Permit eligibility criteria, you have to study full time in your program in order to be eligible. It says that you cant take breaks or semester off? Now I wonder if that apply for flight training as well? What if you have weather or aircraft issues which cause delays? And do you think, self paced CPL is a bad choice if you are taking breaks and completing your courses separately? Im having a hard time trying to understand the whole PGWP thing for flight schools.

Are there any international students on this forum who can guide me in making the final decision? Is anyone of you doing or have done self paced training and still got PGWP?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Reecered
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: International students and Post Grad Work Permit questions

Post by Reecered »

Hey,

I chose the self-paced CPL program. I've taken breaks off from flying to travel around the country and into the states, I've had no issues.
I say all this, but I've not yet received the PGWP - paperwork filed just waiting.

When you get your student visa be sure to check if you're allowed to work part-time. If you're not allowed, you'll finish training and need to wait (more than 2 months) for PGWP to be accepted before you can work. However, if you request an amendment to the student visa to work part-time (even if you don't), then you can start working right away under implied status.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Reece

Nabz1212
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Nabz1212 »

alright Mate!
if you are looking for PFWP (work permit) as pilot,regardless ATPL or self paced you can apply for one ,as Flight instructor .

flyingjunkie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyingjunkie »

Hey Reece,

Thanks for clarification. May I ask how long was your self paced CPL program and which school you went to? If it was less than two years, do you think finding a job with a 1 year PGWP would be hard? This makes me wonder if 2 year integrated program makes it easier to find a job than 1 year CPL? Or it does not make any difference?

Nabz1212
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Nabz1212 »

——-

studentpil0t
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by studentpil0t »

Would love to hear from anyone who received a PGWP and managed to land a flying job other than instructing.

Return to “Flight Training”