Written FAA ATP Exam

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Tanker1970
Rank 0
Rank 0

Written FAA ATP Exam

Post by Tanker1970 »

Hello,
I’m in the process of converting my Cdn fixed wing ATPL to a FAA ATP fixed wing.

So far I’ve completed the ATP-CTP, medical, and FAA validation letter. Left to do is the ACM exam, FSDO interview and the FAA radio license (thanks to AvCanada for pointing out that I need the radio license).

My question has to do with the content on the ACM exam. Has anyone recently written the FAA ATP Exam? Code ACM? I am currently bashing my way through the Gleim Cdn conversion course, 1000+ questions.

I have heard from 2 people who wrote the exam several years ago they did not need an e6b calculator. The Gleim course has all sorts of questions requiring an e6b. The last time I touched one of those was 15 years ago. As well as long drawn out flight planning and weight and balance questions. That got me to thinking if their Gleim course is actullay any different than their full ATP course? Gleim says thier course is tailored to the conversion, however I would really like to hear from someone who has had recent experience with the exam.

Thanks in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Written FAA ATP Exam

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Hello Tanker
Just working my way through this now. Did you write the exam yet?
where did you do the CPT course?
thanks
John

Whiskey25
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Whiskey25 »

I’m finishing the CTP course Sunday and then writing the FAA ACM exam on Monday. Pay for the Sheppard Air course to prep for the exam; all the instructors have recommended it to get ready.

FAD3C
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FAD3C »

I'm interested in this. What you guys are doing. Feel free to PM me

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Are you writing the full ATP test?
I am talking about the 40 question conversion test

Whiskey25
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Whiskey25 »

FYI for those planning to convert to FAA, the conversion exam is now 60 questions. I used Sheppard Air to study and it was very good, finished the exam in about 30-35 mins with a full review of all questions. If you haven't done any FAA exams, they are multiple choice with 3 options to choose from. You will get a large book with all required diagrams, tables and charts; you can take a manual or electronic E6B into the exam as well, but I didn't need to use mine. Cost was $165 USD to write and results are immediate.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Where did you write?

Whiskey25
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Whiskey25 »

Jet Test? Jet Center? Can’t remember the name, but it’s on on the authorized testing center list from the FAA. Located In Dallas, right near DFW.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Thanks

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

I'm also curious. Where did you do your CTP and how much did it cost?

I looked at this a while back but it was the cost of the CTP course that stopped me. Maybe time to revisit this??

Whiskey25
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Whiskey25 »

CAE Dallas. I think the cost is approx $5K USD, should be able to find it on the website. Flight Safety also runs the course at some of their training centres, I assume the cost is similar.

big_sky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by big_sky »

Bump

Just wondering if anyone has written this exam lately, specifically the Canadian conversion (ACM version)? If so what study materials did you use?

Cheers

Return to “Flight Training”