Whiteout in a Pilot Logbook

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

avcraig
Rank 1
Rank 1

Whiteout in a Pilot Logbook

Post by avcraig »

Hey guys/girls,

I am nearly at the end of my PPL training and as I'm looking through my logbook I see 4-5 whiteout spots from where I screwed up numbers and put times into "Dual" instead of "PIC", and vice versa.

Would it be a good idea to purchase a new logbook and transfer everything over so it's neat and mistake free, or just leave it as is?

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Whiteout in a Pilot Logbook

Post by Eric Janson »

Plenty of whiteout in my logbooks - never had an issue.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

Yes I agree - the use of whiteout should not be an issue for a pilot logbook.

But not for the technical records (journey log, engine log etc.) where CARs require the original entry may be stricken through but must remain visible along with a note providing the reason for the alteration if necessary, person's name & licence number making alteration, date etc. so don't ever use whiteout in these cases.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I wouldn't use whiteout in any logbook. Just strike the entry out, and replace or correct it. Why make a permanent alteration which an inspector might fuss about later? No one's perfect, just correct the entry, leaving the old one legible, and note why. It's the professional thing to do. You'd like your logbook to look professional.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Yup....My log book as a few crossed out errors, as does just about every airplane's journey log that I've flown! The key to keeping it legal is leaving the old entry legible.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

Don't sweat it. Sorry PIlotDAR.... so disagree on this. Who the F cares....... Flying for 34 years this year, 21 in the Air Force... College, cadets, 3 Airlines, have had 2 military log books, one from college, one from cadets. All have white out in them! Never mattered with getting a job, or a rating including ATPL, and including now at Air Canada. The white out looks neater than random lines. People out there worried about to much little shit.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

People out there worried about to much little shit
The people who don't worry, probably don't ask. Will white out invalidate a logbook? Nope! Might it cause a TC inspector, or Chief Pilot to go through it more carefully? Possibly. Does that matter? Probably not much....

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Someday you may get tired of keeping a personal log book record of every flight and the problem of making a mistake will not be a problem. :mrgreen:

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Yes, don’t sweat it or go electronic!

Boom! « Problem » solved :mrgreen:

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

I've used whiteout on the odd entry, it looks fine, but I never submitted it to TC for my As.

As for my As application, I printed my own made up excel logbook and signed every page like a logbook. Submitted the signed sheets plus a memory stick with the file and had my sticker within 5 weeks (sent to Prairies in Winnipeg).

Go electronic! (and keep a backup...)

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Gotta admit.....I have a lot more whiteout in my logbook than I care to admit to. At least it is accurate.

Return to “Flight Training”