Checklists

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Checklists

Post by ahramin »

There seems to be a lot of disagreement about checklists on another thread which I'm hoping we can continue here instead.

Personally, I have three different philosophies on aircraft checklists. The simplest is the memory checklists which I use for gliders only. All gliders I fly use the same checklist and I've had it memorized since I was 16 so it's not something I'm likely to forget. For anything more complex I rely on a paper checklist to verify that all items important to safety have been completed.

For aircraft that I am experienced and current in, I have a vital action checklist. It's very short, and only covers the items that I consider required for safe flight. Stuff like doors and belts, fuel management, and controls. These checklists are run only after I already have everything ready so it's really just a check list.

Lastly for aircraft that I am not familiar with or that I am not current on, I pull out the manufacturer's checklist and use them as a read and do list. This is not a very efficient way of flying an aircraft as there is a lot of stuff in there that isn't vital to flight safety. When using these checklists, it's important to go slow, be very disciplined, and not start skipping steps in order to speed things up. When learning a new aircraft I tend to make to make my own checklist fairly quickly because it drives me nuts sitting on the ground with the engine running doing a 20 step read and do checklist.

Which leaves me puzzled as to what type of checklist we are talking about in the other thread.
photofly wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:26 pmlet’s say you’re queuing for departure, with the checklist items done. You’re going to lean the mixture again
I assume photofly means that he leaves the mixture lean until right before takeoff power is applied and doesn't mean that he puts the mixture full rich for the before takeoff checklist, then leans the mixture again after the checklist is complete. In either case, I don't see how this checklist is useful. If it's a read and do, there seems to be a big disconnect between when the item is read and when it is to be done. If it's a vital action, then the checklist shouldn't even be started until all the items on it are already thought to be done. What am I missing here?
---------- ADS -----------

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Checklists

Post by C.W.E. »

Excellent subject and it should be discussed at length as there seems to be real confusion regarding check lists.

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

In case of the mixture I would put it at the end of the checklist below a dashed line, meaning you are gonna "hold on the line" until you line up or are number 1 for take off.
Another option would be to put it as part of a line up checklist, "lights on, mixture rich" once you're clear to line up on the runway.

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

I think the answer is, it depends. It depends heavily on the aircraft, level of experience, number of crew, and level of training. I fly on a fleet where the pilots are expected to have all checklists memorized except the non-critical emergency procedures; its single pilot on a relatively simple machine. Nobody flies more than one type. The Rotary wing and multi-crew side of the house use checklists for all but critical-emergencies from what I've seen. Some of those guys fly more than one type.

If I were to go down to the local club to rent a plane or receive instruction on a new type you can bet I'd be reading through line-by-line, at least on the ground. I would likely try to commit the airborne items to memory if they were relatively simple.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I should specify that I'm only talking about normal checklists. Abnormal and Emergency are a completely different topic.

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

My philisophy is: flow, then checklist.... flow, then checklist.... flow, then checklist..... for each phase of flight. The checklist kind of backs up my flow, at least that's the case for lighter GA aircraft.

As for mixture on takeoff, the reason I think I haven't been surprised by that, was because I usually push mixture and prop (check) forward and turn landing lights on when I'm cleared for takeoff. If lineup, usually I push mixtures and props forward, not too common to be told to wait lined up for too long.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

"Lights, camera, action" has always served me well, taking position its your landing lights, transponder and mixture/condition lever. Simple to remember, no need for paper while you're taxiing, and covers the last minute things.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

In a flight school, you kind of need a “read and do” checklist. You have students who are unfamiliar with the aircraft and who eventually have to fly It themselves. I’d try and get more advanced students to do a “flow and go” checklist, particularly for pre takeoff and pre landing checklists. The flow is quick then reading through the checklist is uninterrupted.

For myself flying light aircraft, I never used a checklist on types I was familiar. I’d do a flow and have menonics or numbers of things I needed to do.

Two crew, it’s solidly by SOPs. Flow and challenge response checklists, checks, and so forth. Emergencies vital items done by memory, then read and do to clean up.

Return to “Flight Training”