Taildragger Instruction in Ontario

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Peregrine
Rank 0
Rank 0

Taildragger Instruction in Ontario

Post by Peregrine »

Gentlemen.
I would very much like to have someone introduce me to the increasingly obscure skill of handling a tailwheel aircraft.

Now I know there are threads on this topic, but they are rather dated. Unfortunately Three Point, out of Guelph and later YKF is no more as that would have been my preferred option.
I've seen references to user l_reason having a beautiful Luscombe, however I haven't been active enough on the forums for the site to allow me to message him directly.

Does anyone know of anywhere or anyone who has a taildragger and would be willing to give some instruction to someone wanting to get a feel for this (increasingly) lost art? I am in the YKF area but am willing to travel, and indeed likely will have to. Much thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Taildragger Instruction in Ontario

Post by PilotDAR »

Hi Peregrine,

I believe that I Reason is working away in his capacity as a larger aircraft pilot.

Try the Rockcliffe Flying Club, they show a Super Decathlon in their fleet.

Your other choice may be Andover Flight Academy in New Jersey, who specialize in taildragger training. I sent a student of mine there for his initial taildragger training, before we continued more advanced training, and he seemed to have been very well trained there.

mdh
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mdh »

Brampton Flying Club has one, according to their website.

Skymark
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Skymark »

Yes, Brampton has a Citabria and two very experienced tail wheel instructors, Peter and Neil

https://www.bramptonflightcentre.com/re ... -checkout/

Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 2542406 »

The Woodstock Ontario Flying Club has a 1946 Cub. Membership and flight fees are very reasonable.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

2542406 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:11 pm The Woodstock Ontario Flying Club has a 1946 Cub. Membership and flight fees are very reasonable.
Yes, but plan on being a fully active club member if you go. They are only looking for productive members not just people who show up for tailwheel time and leave. New members are now vetted and expected to fully participate in club activities (i.e. grass cutting, annual garage sale, monthly meetings, social events, etc.) It's a great grassroots airport for those who are ready to invest time in the club.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
zan_the_man
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by zan_the_man »

Skymark wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:49 pm Yes, Brampton has a Citabria and two very experienced tail wheel instructors, Peter and Neil

https://www.bramptonflightcentre.com/re ... -checkout/
They are great, got my tail wheel there last summer and have been flying tow planes, pulling gliders ever since. Most fun I've had flying yet

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

IIRC Burlington has had an on-again-off-again deal with a Super Cub. Maybe give them a call.

Wasp_Jr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wasp_Jr »

I think Brampton flying club offers tailwheel training.

who me ?
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by who me ? »

Peregrine check your PMs

Return to “Flight Training”