Burlington school?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

MikeX3
Rank 0
Rank 0

Burlington school?

Post by MikeX3 »

Has anyone ever dealt with spectrum airways in Burlington?
I’m late in the game but ready to start now!
---------- ADS -----------

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Burlington school?

Post by flyingjerry »

Went up with them a few times but commonly fly out of ZBA. They were great from my experience.

PSL
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PSL »

The place is a joke, the management is horrible and just want your money. Most unprofessional bunch of crooks out there. Revolving door of flight instructors, and just an overall negative place.

towerwind
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by towerwind »

I agree with PSL, if you are serious about your career look elsewhere.

They're probably the only flight school in Southern GTA that haven't been picked up by a regional airline for some sort of career transition program, which should tell you all you need to know.

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

Scheduling needs to be done in advance lots of renters.

Revolving door of instructors many are getting picked up by 703/704 carriers including Bearskin, Wasaya, Jazz.

If you need to get something done quick they are great but full commercial, MIFR, I'd rather go to a flight college such as Waterloo or Brampton.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

PSL wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:22 pm The place is a joke, the management is horrible and just want your money. Most unprofessional bunch of crooks out there. Revolving door of flight instructors, and just an overall negative place.
Can you elaborate on that? Crooks how? What was your involvement and when?

Or was this just a drive-by crap slinging?

MikeX3
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MikeX3 »

Yeah it seems the consensus isn’t good for them.
I live in Hamilton and work full time as an fa and I’m also a DXX.
Reviews online for the Golden Horseshoe Aviation school out of yhm seems positive.
Anyone heard from them?

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Last edited by Aviatard on Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
dogfood
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dogfood »

Every fo that I have flown with that did their training at that place was absolutely awful.. just based on that I wouldn't recommend it

PSL
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PSL »

Aviatard wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:49 am Disclosure: I work for Spectrum.

Unfortunately online reviews aren't very reliable. I am aware of one person who cheated on his qualifying exams and who we refused to give a recommendation letter to write the TC exam. This person then went on to make a number of fake google accounts for the purpose of denigrating the school, accusing the management of being racist and a number of other nasty things. The negative feedback on this thread also doesn't have any background information, so it isn't possible to know if they're genuine, or just the result of some disgruntled ex-employee looking for some revenge.

As for the revolving door for instructors, it's true that a number of them have moved on in the past year. This is a situation that exists in pretty much every flight school in S. Ontario, as a result of the demand for pilots at the airlines. It's not unique to Spectrum. and we have a number of students who have come to us from other schools because they felt they weren't able to progress elsewhere due to instructor turn over, or because they school they are flying with is being sold and possibly closing.

The best thing you can do is visit the schools you're interested in and talk to the CFIs and other staff there. I'm not happy about being called a crook and unprofessional on here, but there isn't much I can do about it, except to let you see for yourself.
I know you, I respect you and I think you do a great job as do most of the instructors at Spectrum. However, I will call a spade a spade. Being a disgruntled employee, ex-employee, ex-student, it doesn't matter. Spectrum Airways in the grand industry beyond flight training has a horrible reputation. Case in point when the old manager went on mat leave and came back, well, never came back to a job. How do things like this happen, seriously? You are not a crook and you are not unprofessional, some of your bosses on the other hand have different motives. I invite you to get a job at an airline and say the name "Kovachik," you'll either be met with an eye roll or you'll hear some obnoxious story about the shame associated with that name.

I, would not give that flight school or family even a cent of my money.

ahkhamza
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ahkhamza »

The level of training at Spectrum Airways is at a very high standard. I have flown there for a couple years now and would highly recommend it to anybody. Booking the aircraft and the instructors right now is a challenge but still better than other schools in GTA.

Craig1983
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Craig1983 »

Yeah, I got my PPL with them, had a great instructor who was always available, cut me some discounts on PGI times etc. It wasn't until recently where it's become next to impossible to book a plane or instructor for my CPL/IFR but isn't that the name of the game right now unless you go to a 100k school? Times are tough right now trying to get everything done, but I've got a good instructor and I'm plugging away. Not sure where the crooks comments are coming from because I haven't seen it. And Chris has been nothing but excellent towards me. I would say go for a visit, do a demo, and check it out for yourself.

-Craig
NearNorthAviation
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NearNorthAviation »

Near North Aviation has just opened up an FTU at the John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport in the JetPort building. Give us a call at 905-679-5577. As a new operation, we haven't built up a student load yet so we have aircraft available basically anytime you want.

We have a Twin Comanche with fresh engines, having a WAAS GPS being installed. When ready, she will be added to our OC shortly. Once up and going we will have one retired and two current airline pilots on staff.

In addition, we also have a Class 1 Instructor to supply the further instructors we will need to meet the future demand.

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

Aviatard wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:49 am Disclosure: I work for Spectrum.

Unfortunately online reviews aren't very reliable. I am aware of one person who cheated on his qualifying exams and who we refused to give a recommendation letter to write the TC exam. This person then went on to make a number of fake google accounts for the purpose of denigrating the school, accusing the management of being racist and a number of other nasty things. The negative feedback on this thread also doesn't have any background information, so it isn't possible to know if they're genuine, or just the result of some disgruntled ex-employee looking for some revenge.

As for the revolving door for instructors, it's true that a number of them have moved on in the past year. This is a situation that exists in pretty much every flight school in S. Ontario, as a result of the demand for pilots at the airlines. It's not unique to Spectrum. and we have a number of students who have come to us from other schools because they felt they weren't able to progress elsewhere due to instructor turn over, or because they school they are flying with is being sold and possibly closing.

The best thing you can do is visit the schools you're interested in and talk to the CFIs and other staff there. I'm not happy about being called a crook and unprofessional on here, but there isn't much I can do about it, except to let you see for yourself.
Did said student transition to Waterloo?

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

plausiblyannonymous wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:01 pm
Did said student transition to Waterloo?
I don't know where he went.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Any updates? I have some customers looking to make the transition from rotary to fixed wing in this area. Thanks in advance

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:12 am Any updates? I have some customers looking to make the transition from rotary to fixed wing in this area. Thanks in advance
What kind of update do you want?

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Aviatard wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:06 pm
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:12 am Any updates? I have some customers looking to make the transition from rotary to fixed wing in this area. Thanks in advance
What kind of update do you want?
Flight training units in this area (the gta) my customers are in that area that are looking for fixed wing training just seeing what you think of spectrum brantford flying club and others etc. I don’t know the area but that’s where those two call home

Return to “Flight Training”