29 age BComm(New Graduate) from Qc, Career Switch

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Aeroboy514
Rank 0
Rank 0

29 age BComm(New Graduate) from Qc, Career Switch

Post by Aeroboy514 »

Hi folks, so here I am after so many years of dreaming becoming a Pilot. Just graduating this month with a Bachelors in Accounting/Finance with a 16k of debt. I was just searching aviation careers out of curiosity when I came across recent Pilot shortage opportunity and said to myself it is the perfect timing for me to fulfil my dream of one day becoming a pilot. At this point, I don't really have a job in my field of study in line and thinking of starting my PPL training instead. I am confused between doing my training Modular (working during the day/less expensive but a longer route) or Integrated (more expensive but will save me time as I'm already 29). Secondly, should I join a private aviation college or join tax-payer subsidized college (Sault/Confederation)? I have been also looking at some other schools and really find Moncton Flying College (MFC) one-year IATPL interesting. On the other hand, I don't know if it's worth going to MFC if they don't have connections with airlines unlike other schools with two-year programs. What are my prospects of ever going to work for Jazz and eventually Air Canada? I also don't mind studying for another two years provided I can find a job with any of the regionals.

P.S. I thank all of you for your contributions in advance!
---------- ADS -----------

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: 29 age BComm(New Graduate) from Qc, Career Switch

Post by TT1900 »

What type of flying interests you? What type of lifestyle interests you?

"Pilot" is a broad descriptor with a variety of options. Regionals are certainly attainable as is a major Canadian airline; lots of people are there. Lots of people also aren't for a variety of reasons; weren't accepted, couldn't afford the early years, didn't like it and moved on, or were happier doing other things and flying for the airlines was never their dream job. Be honest with yourself about why you're in it and find a suitable niche. I'm a military guy and love what I do, but everytime I see a CL-215/415 doing its thing I second guess.

With your existing debt can you afford to shell out another $50k just to make $45k for a few years? I suspect subsidized makes more sense if you can get it, but you're the finance guy so you tell me.

The good news is you've got a real degree and I presume you speak French being from QC; those are two big wins for you already.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I'm a military guy and love what I do, but everytime I see a CL-215/415 doing its thing I second guess.
With a military background you should check out Conair or Airspray and see if you can get on their machines.

It is an interesting type of flying when you are actually flying on fires.

It also gives you a lot of time off and if you want to you can fly during the winter months.

The downside is you can have a lot of time with nothing to do as fires are weather dependent, also you may be based a long way from home if you have a family.

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingjerry »

Couple things:

1) Modular can be much faster than integrated. 8 Months is possible for CPL MIFR and will run 50K if you're smart about it and 75K if you're not. Right now, if you hustle you can get a job almost immediately.

2) Before asking all these questions, take 3 discovery flights over a weekend. 2 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday kind of thing. Judge how you like it.

3) You just got a bachelors degree which means you can be an officer very quickly and fly military if you'd like. A job at an airline is almost guaranteed after that.

4) This relates to point 1 but also has enough weight it should be it's own point. There is a good chance you will spend the first few years of your flying career in some little northern town that you've never heard of on a salary significantly less than you could get with your degree.

That being said, the degree will drastically increase your chances of getting to Air Canada if that is your end goal. And so imagine yourself at 80 years old looking back at your life. Are you going to regret spending some money chasing your dream?

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

flyingjerry wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:49 pm 3) You just got a bachelors degree which means you can be an officer very quickly and fly military if you'd like. A job at an airline is almost guaranteed after that.
Not quite.

I'm going to assume passing entry testing, aircrew, & medicals. From the time you commence Pilot training until you receive wings will be somewhere in the neighbourhood of three to four years. Once winged you owe seven years service. So you will spend a decade of your life minimum working for the military. The airline industry could be completely different by then.

Next to consider is that approximately 40-50% of military pilots are sent helicopters, not great for airlines. 30% are sent fighters accruing time at 200hrs per year, not great for airlines. The last 20-30% are sent multi-engine and are certainly set-up well for the airlines, assuming they get two flying tours in a row which is not a guarantee. First tour is 3-4 years for all groups after which you may be sent to a desk accruing a whopping 0 hours per year, not great for airlines.

I would only recommend joining the military if you're interested in the job and lifestyle for at least a decade. If you join thinking it's the fast track to AC/Westjet you will likely be severely disappointed. Most of the guys I see leaving have 20+ years of service. If the airlines are your only goal I would get licensed ASAP and get into the industry.

Return to “Flight Training”