Where/how pick up an IFR clearance at an uncontrolled airport

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Where/how pick up an IFR clearance at an uncontrolled airport

Post by clairvoyant »

Folks, I am practicing on filing IFR flight plans.
Where/how do pick up an IFR clearance at an uncontrolled airport?
Supposedly, I am planning a flight from CYSH to CYUL.
Which radio frequency do I obtain the IFR clearance while I am on the ground in CYSH?
==========================================================================
My best bet would be 127.7 128.175 135.15 (Montreal Area Control Centre).
Thank you for your help.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by clairvoyant on Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Where/how pick up an IFR clearance at an uncontrolled airport

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

Call toll free 1866wxbrief number, easy as that.

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

either the above or take off vfr and pick it up in the air if you can.

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clairvoyant »

If I take off VFR and pick it up in the air, what frequency will I tune in?
My best bet would be 127.7 128.175 135.15 (Montreal Area Control Centre). Thank You

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Ottawa terminal 128.175 - that’s the frequency listed for ATC on the approach plates at CYSH.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

If the weather is IFR, you can call the Area Control Centre IFR flight planning number directly and ask for your clearance over the phone. The person who answers the phone will have to take the cordless phone and literally walk to the sector controller and hand them the pnone. They'll read you a clearance, and you'll read it back.

You can take off VFR or IFR in class G airspace and call once airborne and get a clearance prior to entering class A, B, C, D, or E airspace over the radio.

You can phone or call the FIC (flight services) and ask them to relay an IFR clearance to you either over the phone or through an RCO, or DRCO.

There's more like IFR itineraries and composite flight plans, but these are the basic options.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

co-joe wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:24 pm You can take off VFR or IFR in class G airspace and call once airborne and get a clearance prior to entering class A, B, C, D, or E airspace over the radio.
What about taking off under VFR in or into controlled airspace and getting a clearance once airborne before entering IMC? I know we discussed that on this site but I don’t recall if there was a conclusion.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

photofly wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:33 pm
co-joe wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:24 pm You can take off VFR or IFR in class G airspace and call once airborne and get a clearance prior to entering class A, B, C, D, or E airspace over the radio.
What about taking off under VFR in or into controlled airspace and getting a clearance once airborne before entering IMC? I know we discussed that on this site but I don’t recall if there was a conclusion.
I’ve done this several times with no issues.

Going for the deck at corner
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

You can also get a VFR departure "clearance" at airports where there is some radio contact with an FSS or ATC unit. That guarantees you will get an IFR clearance once airborne. That is used in the case where other IFR traffic is an issue for separation, not when communication is a problem. If communication is an issue, then taking off VFR, or even IFR uncontrolled, is a possibility, depending on the airsprace surrounding the airport you are leaving from.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

That doesn't sound legal to me. I'm trying to think of an example though. If the airspace was class a Class C, or D control zone you'd have problems unless you were following the VTPC, or the VFR routes on the VNC/ VTA charts and then asked for a clearance, but that's not really what we're talking about here.

Class E, and G of course you'd be fine to ask for a clearance once airborne. A class B airway you might be ok in VMC, but if you did it in IMC pretty sure you would be breaking the law and putting yourself and others in danger. Potentially if you were above MOCA but below MEA maybe?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

If you took off into class D or C airspace you would already be at an airport with a control tower, and they would coordinate with the relevant ATC unit a VFR departure prior to picking up a clearance. That happens all the time around here, and yes, you can't enter IMC without the clearance, and your VFR takeoff clearance usually includes "maintain VFR for one zero minutes after departure". Class B - you'd need to be CVFR, so you'd have contact with ATC already.

But you could in theory takeoff from an uncontrolled airport, climb into class E airspace VFR, without letting ATC know, and then pick up your clearance there. Only there was some suggestion on this forum a while back that if you had an IFR flight plan you should *not* under any circumstances take off VFR without coordinating with ATC.

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clairvoyant »

How do I pick up an IFR clearance from CYRP to CYUL if I am on the ground or once airborne?
Which frequency to contact?
CYRP is very tight as far as gazing through CYOW airspace.
Thank You.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

If you'e worried about not being able to contact ATC for a clearance before busting Class B, C, D airspace or going into IMC in Class E, then pick up the phone and call Center/Departure for a clearance and follow the departure instructions.

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clairvoyant »

I made a similar argument. I would rather pick up clearance via the phone. However, I heard some overzealous flight examiners asked those trick questions during the ground portion of an IFR flight test.
I just want to be prepared. Thank you for your help.

Return to “Flight Training”