Difference between schools and its prices

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ray011
Rank 0
Rank 0

Difference between schools and its prices

Post by ray011 »

Hello!

I keep having a look at this forum since I took the decision to take my training in Canada in the near future, your discussions about the different schools are helping a lot but there is something I don't get.

How can school prices vary so much? For a professional pilot program, I have seen prices from 35K to +60K. For instance, the famous Harv's Air school, 52K or 47K (depending location) and
Langley Flying School for 36K. I have seen others for about 42K, 40K, etc.
I have been checking reviews for these two schools and both have great ones. In addition, Langley's formers students seem to be extremely happy with their experience.

Is there any reason why I should avoid the cheapest schools? should I go for a more expensive one? what would the main differences be between studying at a more expensive one or a cheaper one?

I have also been told that the prices listed on the schools webs cover the minimum and at the end, the total cost will be higher. Why would this happen? For Harv's 52K or Langley 36K, what approx final cost should I expect?

Thanks in advance,
---------- ADS -----------

smashmonkey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Difference between schools and its prices

Post by smashmonkey »

You have to look at what is in the quote. I have found that across the board the costs aren't a whole lot different, just the way they are presented. Some quote the commercial program on top of the private one, some include a multi ifr etc.

ray011
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ray011 »

Hey @smashmonkey, thanks for your reply
I know what you mean but still find I find some schools cheaper than others:

Langley: Private Pilot + Commercial + Multi-engine Class Rating Training + Instrument Rating Training (Multi-engine) = 36.5K + Night rating = 39.4K
http://www.langleyflyingschool.com/Page ... ogram.html
Harvs Air: All of them above: 52.8K
http://www.pilottraining.ca/pdftcdocs/S ... 202018.pdf

why is there such a substantial difference on the prices between these two schools?
I have been told that these prices are the minimum cost and that it is very likely to get increased (depending on the personal progress, on how fast you get things, etc). Could anybody tell me how much more it could get increased? 10K more? I would not like to apply for the school, start and then to be short of money.

Thanks!

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Most schools quotes are based on bare-ass Transport Canada minimums for each licence and rating. Differences in cost could be due to differing rates for aircraft/instructors/ground briefing/tuition/living expenses, etc.

Do not pick a school based on a quote! Find the school that is the best fit, and go from there. And, there's no reason why you can't use multiple schools, instructors, aircraft, etc, for your licences/ratings.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

You pay for flight training by time. The plane is probably around $200 per hour and the instructor is $70 dollars an hour. Those numbers might sound high but they are close when you add the tax.

They usually write the estimate for if you fly the minimum required to take the flight test, and claim that will be the cost. Therefore for a private license, if you fly 25 hours dual that will cost $6750. Then you fly 20 hours solo that will cost $4000. That's only $10750.

Add ground school, supplies, test fees, ground briefing and a few other costs.

If you pass a flight test after the minimum amount of training, that would be true.

Harv's might be saying they find students take longer so it will more likely cost more. As you were told it will probably cost even more than the highest estimate you find.

Most people don't get a recommend for the flight test after only the legal minimum amount of training because they are not ready to pass yet. Many instructors have said, "The only people who get a license at minimum time are those who have been flying with their dad since the were children."

Keep in mind, if you fly 10 more hours solo it will cost $2000, ten hours is not as much as it sounds. Some people don't even fly solo by 50 hours, 50 X $270 = $13500. See how it adds up and can get expensive quickly. How will you feel about that when they quoted you on 25 hours and then you ran out of money?

If you don't pass, you need to get more training then take the test over. That will cost more money than if you were ready to pass the first time. Also the instructors are held responsible when their students fail the flight test so they won't recommend you until they are confident you are ready.

Don't forget you might want to eat and sleep inside, it gets cold here so you probably need winter clothes. None of that is free.

I don't want to scare you but you are better off saving up way more money before you start. Then if you turn out to be a real quick learner, you will have some money left over, you can use it to travel and keep renting to keep up your skills while looking for a job flying.

Trust me that would be more fun than going broke, then having to go back to work, saving up to start over later because you did not get a license.

DanJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DanJ »

My son is starting his private. Looked into a few different schools around the area. One never answered the phone the several times I called to book him an intro flight. Mail box full so no option to leave a message. I work nearby, so stopped in a couple times, no one ever there. Place looked like hell. Made me wonder how their planes were. Other school is very busy. Modern facilities. Friendly staff. Many international students. A fair bit more expensive. Felt way more comfortable sending my 16 year old with them than I would have at the other school. I suppose the higher overhead is the main reflection in the price difference, and maybe the other place has a real awesome instructor who has all the time in the world for their students. But from my perspective, all the things that make the price higher are also reasons for me to feel confidence sending my son there.

supafly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by supafly »

DanJ wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:59 pm My son is starting his private. Looked into a few different schools around the area. One never answered the phone the several times I called to book him an intro flight. Mail box full so no option to leave a message. I work nearby, so stopped in a couple times, no one ever there. Place looked like hell. Made me wonder how their planes were. Other school is very busy. Modern facilities. Friendly staff. Many international students. A fair bit more expensive. Felt way more comfortable sending my 16 year old with them than I would have at the other school. I suppose the higher overhead is the main reflection in the price difference, and maybe the other place has a real awesome instructor who has all the time in the world for their students. But from my perspective, all the things that make the price higher are also reasons for me to feel confidence sending my son there.
May I ask which school this was (the one your liked better)?
Is your son happy with his training so far?

Return to “Flight Training”