Post PPL.... Now What?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

dprobe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post PPL.... Now What?

Post by dprobe »

Evening, I am looking for advice on what to do now that I have my PPL?
I have a degree in Business, am legally able to work in the EU, and am open to just about any exciting career progressing options both at home in Canada or abroad

I am curious if there are any sponsored flight training programs that I could take advantage of?
If I get my multi/IFR/Commerical/Airline in Europe is there much process to use these ratings and licenses in Canada?
Is joining the Air Force a reasonable route in regards to the cost benefit analysis?
Flying in Europe vs Flying in Canada?

I am not stuck on working as a pilot, however am intrigued by the many opportunities and options it seems to present. Any advice on any of these topics would be appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Post PPL.... Now What?

Post by TG »

You mention the Air Force simply as a carrier opportunity. Sure, but remember there is quite a selection process to get in and it take a lot of dedication once on board.

sicamore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sicamore »

dprobe wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:41 pm Evening, I am looking for advice on what to do now that I have my PPL?
I have a degree in Business, am legally able to work in the EU, and am open to just about any exciting career progressing options both at home in Canada or abroad

I am curious if there are any sponsored flight training programs that I could take advantage of?
If I get my multi/IFR/Commerical/Airline in Europe is there much process to use these ratings and licenses in Canada?
Is joining the Air Force a reasonable route in regards to the cost benefit analysis?
Flying in Europe vs Flying in Canada?

I am not stuck on working as a pilot, however am intrigued by the many opportunities and options it seems to present. Any advice on any of these topics would be appreciated!
I hate to say it, take your Business degree and go earn a lot more money than you would flying, have a good life and buy a seaplane or pitts special to enjoy your flying. You'll be much happier in the long run.

If however, you want to join the ranks of the lemmings, I'd suggest you find a school in the US to do both your FAA and EASA license. You can convert your FAA license to TC fairly easily later. You will have a good FAA license which is easy to maintain, and the EASA license will open up european markets which can be quite fun. On top of that, you will save a lot of money over doing the license in canada and get yourself a nice holiday on the beach somewhere in Hawaii or florida etc. If you become an instructor that will also open up opportunities for you to get a work visa in the states through the school you instruct at.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Sponsored flight training disappeared in Europe in the 1980s.

Someone at entry level European airlines like RyanAir and EasyJet (it was probably someone with a business degree, in fact) realized that the selling trainee pilots right seat time on a passenger-carrying 737 was a profitable business and the airlines went into partnerships with training organizations to do just that. Expect to take out $200k in loans to work work your way up as a pilot in Europe.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
sicamore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sicamore »

photofly wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:14 am Sponsored flight training disappeared in Europe in the 1980s.

Someone at entry level European airlines like RyanAir and EasyJet (it was probably someone with a business degree, in fact) realized that the selling trainee pilots right seat time on a passenger-carrying 737 was a profitable business and the airlines went into partnerships with training organizations to do just that. Expect to take out $200k in loans to work work your way up as a pilot in Europe.
That is changing now, and bear in mind that it was only a few rogue operators doing this mainly for brand new pilots who wanted to get on heavy iron without working their way up the system.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Europe certainly isn't a "cheap" way to go. Assuming you'd even qualify for training. Here's a link for Lufthansa.
https://www.european-flight-academy.com/en

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
dprobe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dprobe »

TG wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:55 am You mention the Air Force simply as a carrier opportunity. Sure, but remember there is quite a selection process to get in and it take a lot of dedication once on board.
I definitely understand that, I am exploring a number of routes and the military is something that has always been on my radar. I am not stuck on going the commercial route in regards to an aviation career so I am trying to gauge what others thoughts are on each of the potential options.

20DMEYYZ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 20DMEYYZ »

get your cpl and go north. ramp to cojo is rapid compared to my era.

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

Is joining the Airforce a reasonable route in cost benefit analysis?

Depends entirely on you and what your priorities are.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

sicamore wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:33 am
I hate to say it, take your Business degree and go earn a lot more money than you would flying, have a good life and buy a seaplane or pitts special to enjoy your flying. You'll be much happier in the long run.
I disagree. Yes some corporate types make a lot of money. Most don't. It's an endless grind and your promotions largely depend on how much free overtime you work.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

TT1900 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:36 pm Is joining the Airforce a reasonable route in cost benefit analysis?

Free flight training and salary as follows (including during training). Assuming no significant wait during pre-wings training and getting out 7 years after wings:

Year 1: $48,996
2: $53,136
3: $62,040
4: $84,168
5: $89,244
6: $96,636
7: $105,252
8: $111,492
9: $115,668

All the while accumulating hours on fighters or heavies (upgrading to AC) or medium/heavy helos and being put in flying supervision (training and standards) most likely earlier than you would in an equivalent civilian career.

Going for the deck at corner
TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

AuxBatOn wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:16 pm
TT1900 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:36 pm Is joining the Airforce a reasonable route in cost benefit analysis?

Free flight training and salary as follows (including during training). Assuming no significant wait during pre-wings training and getting out 7 years after wings:

Year 1: $48,996
2: $53,136
3: $62,040
4: $84,168
5: $89,244
6: $96,636
7: $105,252
8: $111,492
9: $115,668

All the while accumulating hours on fighters or heavies (upgrading to AC) or medium/heavy helos and being put in flying supervision (training and standards) most likely earlier than you would in an equivalent civilian career.
C’mon, tell him the bad too.

Sure, the salary is good, the benefits are great, and most of the machines are awesome even if some of them are a little aged. The opportunities are vast, further education is encouraged and financed, and you’re guaranteed to get a new position every 3-4 years. There are also some awesome places to live both in Canada and abroad.

The negative is the potential desk jobs, days of useless “courses” on all manner of admin things, being sent places you’d really rather not be for extended duration, and loss of control over several aspects of your life. There are no guarantees what fleet you will be sent to and it can change at a moments notice. Additionally, in some fleets the hours accumulate at a glacial pace so if you’re the poor guy who gets sent to a desk early you may not have sufficient logged time at 7 years to have options. In ten years when you’re free to leave the hiring craze may be long past and airlines won’t be an option, nobody knows.

If you want to be in military aviation and it’s been a long time interest then go for it. You’ll have a fulfilling career surrounded by mostly awesome people and if I’m being honest, we need pilots as much as anyone else these days. I’m on year 13 and I’m still happy going to work in the morning. I’ve been lucky in that I’ve never been at a desk and have been given almost every position and course I’ve asked for. Most are not so fortunate.

If you’re looking at the military specifically as a stepping stone to the airlines, prepare to be horribly disappointed. See it at almost every selection.

airbusflyer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by airbusflyer »

Did 9 years in the military and stepped right into an airline career. The airforce provided the best flying in my life, the training was outstanding...would not change a thing and my son is now following the same path. Went in with a business degree as well. Work hard and you there will be a good chance you will get the postings you want.

Thinking back to my career, I love my airline job but am glad I didn't have to do it for 40 plus years...the airforce was a nice segment of those 40 plus years in aviation.

Good luck in your choice!

Return to “Flight Training”