Letter of Recommendation

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

SPilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Letter of Recommendation

Post by SPilot »

Hi, I am student pilot who got initially recommended for the ppl written test, I did pass two subjects 83% 70%, I will have to write supplementary examinations.
Now here is the problem, the instructor did not want to recommend me again, unless if I take more ground school, I disagree because I already have the requirements and I can write the exam within week, I consider this only time and money consuming.
Is there any way to get around this, and write supplementary examinations asap, because I am confident I do not need this?
---------- ADS -----------

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Letter of Recommendation

Post by Schooner69A »

I presume the school has practice exams?

I can see more study required to brush up on the areas in which you're weak, but to take more ground school at your expense...?

If you take the practice exam and pass; he should recommend you. If you take the practice exam and fail, well...

Unfortunately, you are in a position with little leverage.

Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loner »

I do not see any mention in TP12880 regarding letter of recommendation for re-write but maybe it follows the same logic as the flight test where you need to prove you received additional training...

“A partial flight test must be conducted within 30 days of the original letter of recommendation. Prior to admission to a partial flight test, the candidate will provide the requirements of (a), (b) and (c) above, and:

a copy of the flight test report for the previously failed flight test; and
a letter, signed by the holder of a valid Flight Instructor Rating - Aeroplane, certifying that the candidate:
has received further training on the failed flight test item(s);
is considered to have reached a sufficient level of proficiency to successfully complete the flight test; and
is recommended by the instructor for the partial flight test.”

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

Read carefully your "Written Examination Results" sheet that you received following your written exam attempt.

It probably has a statement as follows:

You will be eligible to rewrite this examination on or after ________ (Date). A written statement signed by a qualified person (eg instructor) certifying that you have received additional training is required.

If you see this statement, then you must get further ground instruction, which will be up to your ground instructor to provide who will then provide the further certification to allow you to re-sit the appropriate sectionalized exam(s). There is no specific requirement that you must write another school sample exam. But the school will probably require this just to be sure you are ready.

SPilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SPilot »

Thank you all, yes the exam results letter states that a letter of recommendation is required but does not mention more training is needed.

Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loner »

SPilot wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:14 am Thank you all, yes the exam results letter states that a letter of recommendation is required but does not mention more training is needed.
That’s entirely up to the person recommending you. He/she has to be satisfied you will be successful.

Blackdog0301
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blackdog0301 »

Here’s the harsh reality... you got recommended for an exam, and you failed. Why should an instructor recommend you to write the exam again when nothing has been done to improve? Clearly you don’t have the knowledge to pass. (Otherwise you would’ve passed). The only way you’ll get that knowledge is by doing some more studying and ground school.

Remember also: you PARTIALLED the exam. If you fail the next one, you start again. Two subjects to study turns back into four. And you wait even longer to write again.

Blackdog0301
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blackdog0301 »

Actually I honestly can’t remmeber if you have to start again after failing the partial again. But still... you wait longer. Take the advice of your instructor. They know better than you

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

I echo the previous comments as well; whoever is recommending you has their own responsibility to only recommend students who are actually ready for any tests they wish to take. Therefore especially in the case that you partial or fail an exam, if you want that recommend, you need to prove you can pass and how exactly you prove that is basically entirely at the discretion of whomever you are asking to recommend you. Recommends have to be earned.

It’s not the answer you likely wanted, but that’s the reality as I see it.

Return to “Flight Training”