Learning to fly as a US citizen living in Montreal

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

oxeimon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Learning to fly as a US citizen living in Montreal

Post by oxeimon »

So I'm a US citizen currently living in Montreal for the next 1-3 years.

I'd like to learn to fly. Ie, I'd like to get a PPL, possibly with additional certifications associated with flying with instruments etc (I forget the technical terms).

I've heard that an american FAA issued PPL is more internationally recognized than a Canadian one. Is this true?

Is it possible to earn an FAA PPL certification while in Canada? (Are there schools which do this near montreal? I'm not sure how to search for this).

What are the main differences/relative benefits of a Canadian PPL vs an American one?
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Learning to fly as a US citizen living in Montreal

Post by photofly »

It's not really desirable to get an FAA PPL in Canada.

However once you get a PPL from Transport Canada, it's very straightforward to get a US PPL from the FAA. You have to take one multiple-choice exam with a few questions, and visit your local FSDO in the US. You will have to study a chunk of air law and procedures as there are differences in these areas between the two countries.
I've heard that an american FAA issued PPL is more internationally recognized than a Canadian one. Is this true?
In a few places like around the Caribbean, possibly. But you can easily obtain a US PPL once you have a Canadian one.
What are the main differences/relative benefits of a Canadian PPL vs an American one?
They are both ICAO licences, and so the only differences in privileges relate to issues of nationality of aircraft that you can fly, and where.

Broadly speaking, a Canadian PPL entitles you to fly a Canadian registered aircraft anywhere in the world, and also, any nationality of aircraft in Canada.
A US PPL entitles you to fly a US-registered aircraft anywhere in the world, and also any nationality of aircraft within the US.

Some minor countries may accept a US PPL within their territories; some countries accept a Transport Canada PPL too.
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Flight Training”