How do you tame Redbird FMX?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

How do you tame Redbird FMX?

Post by clairvoyant »

I am curious how people pass Instrument proficiency checks? I mean that simulator is very sensitive and jerky.
---------- ADS -----------

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: How do you tame Redbird FMX?

Post by Aviatard »

Autopilot.

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clairvoyant »

Will the examiners let people use the autopilot?
At least one of the approaches has to be "hand flown", right?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

The point of a good training aid is to simulate the more demanding characteristics of flying an aircraft. The Redbird is approved for the purpose, so like an approved plane, it's your's to master flying it with appropriate precision.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

clairvoyant wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:10 am Will the examiners let people use the autopilot?
At least one of the approaches has to be "hand flown", right?
From TP 9939E - Flight Test Guide - Instrument Rating Groups 1, 2 and 3 Aeroplane:

The candidate is encouraged to utilize an installed autopilot and/or flight management system (FMS) during the instrument flight test to assist in the management of the aircraft. The examiner is expected to test the candidate's knowledge of the systems that are installed and operative during the oral and flight portions of the test. The candidate will be required to demonstrate the use of the autopilot and/or FMS during one of the approaches. The candidate is expected to demonstrate satisfactory automation management skills. Although autopilots may be used during the flight test, at least one of the approaches will be hand-flown during the flight test for the initial qualification.

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clairvoyant »

So what you are saying definitely that we can all use the autopilot during the IPC (yes, the one that is done every 2 year)since it's not for the initial qualification.

Perhaps folks who did their IPCs (yes, the one that is done every 2 year) with Redbird in CYCC can chime more info.
Thank You

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

I was going to do an IPC on the Redbird, but gave up when I was told that the GPS isn't actually approved for RNAV approaches. Have they managed to fix that yet?

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

I was allowed to have motion off when I did my IPC in a Redbird.

Your standard typical ride is much like a PPC minus airwork. Departure procedure, enroute, hold, non precision approach, missed approach, engine failure drill, precision approach with engine failure to landing. As one approach has to be hand flown, it will usually be the one with the engine failure.

Automation was not only allowed but encouraged. Make sure you understand how it works before. I got a 2 because I almost blew an altitude when I didn't properly arm altitude capture on the missed and barely caught it with manual flying.

Remember too that the IPC is more of a learning experience than a hard exam like it was for your initial. Take your time and realise that you will make mistakes. As long as you recognise and contain errors and correct deviations you should be ok.

I did RNAV approaches in the Redbird.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

CpnCrunch wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:37 am I was going to do an IPC on the Redbird, but gave up when I was told that the GPS isn't actually approved for RNAV approaches. Have they managed to fix that yet?
Yes but it depends on the installation and whether the owners have upgraded the software to the appropriate version, and then have asked TC to approve it.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Zaibatsu wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:56 am As one approach has to be hand flown, it will usually be the one with the engine failure.
See the Flight Test Guide TP9939. One approach must be hand flown only for initial rides. Renewals do not have this requirement. My last two renewals were flown entirely on autopilot, except for takeoff, missed approach and landing.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Doing mine in the redbird tomorrow. Honestly and this is going to sound horrible. Leave your feet on the floor basically. It'll fly straight then. Even on the engine failure. I just fake my feet over the pedals but don't move em. (Obviously not recommended in an actual aircraft) but with no real pedal feedback it's too easy to overcorrect the input. Give it a shot on your next practice you'll see what I mean

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clairvoyant »

Did you pass your IPC?

The rudder pedals on the particular Redbird FMX here is actually working very well. I can observe the ball "swings" during the engine failure exercise.
The examiners warn me that even if it will fly straight, he will fail someone for improper techniques (bank towards the operative engine, step on the rudder so the ball half caged towards the operative engine, etc.).
I agree on the over-correction though (yoke, trim, etc.).

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Just finished. Yes a pass. After 6 years without flying I am once again CPL MIFR. I suppose it's up to the individual examiner, and I did correct some and trim out once stable but one initial failure basically stare at the attitude indicator keep it straight and worry about the rudder after. The ground portion is honestly worse than the flying part.

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clairvoyant »

Please do tell the ground portion experience.
I start to think the IPC is not about the proficiency but learning the flight instructor style to pass then the 24 month countdown for the next one and so on.
I heard rumor that some IPC renewals insisted people to do the step down instead of the CDA.
How long did it take you to prepare for the D day?

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

For the ground portion they are looking to see that you either know the info or know where to find it. Planned a trip from cywg to cyqr used Fltplan.com/ fltplan go on the tablet so I had all updated charts (not gonna buy a full set just to do a test) he asked questions about weather, minimums, alternates etc. A few in flight emergencies (comm failure enroute and smoke in the cabin) asked me what lighting I would expect to see when coming out of minimums for rnav 08.. what about if we were doing ils 13 etc. To which I basically pointed at the top right corner of the approach plate and said "this" as all I could think of was "the Christmas tree" they just want to know you can safely plan and make a go no go decision and know what all info to look for (notams GFA etc.) Departure and destination and alternate were all notam'd up unfortunately which meant he had lots of questions available to ask.

All in all I was about... One month and probably 11-12 hrs in the redbird. I was however 6 years out of flight currency and 10 years my IFR expired so for anyone relatively current I doubt it would take that long (I don't thing WAAS was a thing or at least certainly not common when I flew. An old 430 was the height of luxury lol)

Return to “Flight Training”