Vancouver vs Stratford/Cornwall

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

flyordietrying
Rank 0
Rank 0

Vancouver vs Stratford/Cornwall

Post by flyordietrying »

Planning to come to Canada in March/April for all my training ( 0-CPL, ME,FIR) and I'm trying to decide between going to Vancouver which would be Langley flying club or Ontario which would be either Stratford Air Services or Cornwall Aviation. I'm going to have all funds saved up prior so I'm hoping to get all my licenses and hours within 8-12 months. I hear the weather in Ontario is better for flying as there's more days of sunshine and it rains less. Another plus is the cost of living seems to be less than Vancouver's. However, I also hear that there's a better chance of getting an instructing job in Vancouver due to the number of flight school's in the area. I would really appreciate any advice/suggestions. Thanks in advance!
---------- ADS -----------

NHakim1985
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Vancouver vs Stratford/Cornwall

Post by NHakim1985 »

I'm a student at Stratford Air Services. Feel free to PM me. Cost of living will be cheaper than BC.

TOGA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TOGA »

Dear NHakim would you be kind enough to provide further details on Stratford Air Services.Thanks

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

I don't have experience with Vancouver or Cornwall, but I can speak well of Stratford.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

I'll second Stratford. Andy is a stand up guy and runs a great operation. Highly recommend it.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I'll also vouch for Andy @ Stratford. Cost of living will be much cheaper in Ontario than BC. CYSA is uncontrolled and not an overly busy airport. You waste very little time on the ground, practice area is 5 minutes to the north. Good availability of aircraft and reasonable rates.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Canad1anPilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Canad1anPilot »

Stratford is a very well run airport and flight school. Aircraft are very well maintained, instructors and airport staff are friendly and professional. Stratford won a COPA Member's Choice Award: https://copanational.org/en/members-cho ... t-contest/ (the photo in the article doesn't do it justice)

Bravomike33
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bravomike33 »

Hello,

I can't reply for Stratford. But I can for Cornwall Aviation.
I have done CPL ME ME-IR.
I liked it, and keep recommand it. The airplane are well maintain.
Ottawa, Montreal aren't so far. Great for IFR. You pay for what you fly, and I loved it.
Pay as you go.

It's a little airport'in a country side, running by a family business.
3 multi, 4 C172, 3 C150, 2 sims.
No waiting time on the taxi and the pratice Aera is close to 2/5 minutes after T/o.

No dream however, Know your stuff, study hard and fly.

DadoBlade
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DadoBlade »

Outside of Vancouver's Lower Mainland, and Toronto's GTA, the cost of living in many areas of B.C. and Ontario are very comparable. Factor in cost of utilities, groceries, home heating bills, climate, automobile insurance, wear & tear etc. and one would be hard pressed to say one province is "cheaper" to live in than the other. London Ontario actually has fewer sunny days than Vancouver. Victoria, B.C. is just as sunny as Toronto and Hamilton. Is it cheaper to live in Castlegar, B.C. or Brampton, Ontario? Which is more desirable? Ultimately, it would depend on what you like to do.

Return to “Flight Training”