College Choices/Issues with Sault?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

avsteve1
Rank 1
Rank 1

College Choices/Issues with Sault?

Post by avsteve1 »

So I have three options so far when it comes for colleges, Sault, Confederation, and Algonquin. There’s others, but I would like to go with one of these three.

Certain current Sault students are telling me that it’s no longer worth it. Students are flying on average of once a month, some are two years in and haven’t gotten a PPL yet and the college is looking for loopholes to get rid of as many students as possible. There’s a few that are opening class action lawsuits againt the college, and many dropping out to do the rest of their training privately or with another college. These are not my claims, they are nearly word for word from others attending the college and passed on to me.

Not much info on Confederation, although some Sault students currently attending Sault are telling me to go there instead since it’s not in the same situation as many of these other colleges.

Algonquin is another one I like and am strongly considering. I’m already in the Ottawa area and like the fact of training at YOW.

Now, out of these three choices which one would you guys reccommend (money will not be an issue)? If it matters, I already have a PPL.
---------- ADS -----------

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: College Choices/Issues with Sault?

Post by montado »

A degree may or may not be important for your future employment.

A college diploma may or may not be important for your future employment.

If you have a PPL, how much longer would it take to obtain a CPL at a flying club? Think time value, why spend 3 years in school if you can pay about the same and be done in a year and start working by year two. Really depends how you value your time and what your career goals are. Also if you already have a degree I would say definitely skip the college idea all together. But no one here knows all those things about you, and what your goal is, so can’t really point you in any direction.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Air Canada currently won't hire without a degree or aviation diploma. That may change, or may not even matter to you.

I have heard that Confed college is less disorganized.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

I don't have updated information on the organization or lack thereof at Sault. I do get the impression that at the 3 colleges that are subsidized by the Ontario Government, Sault, Confed and Seneca, getting the students finished on time always tends to be a challenge. I also know that there is generally a higher attrition rate at these colleges. That being said, I've flown with a number of great pilots who "washed out" of Sault, Seneca or Confed and then did it privately. I also know many who are now at Air Canada or WestJet.

Looking at the tuition and training costs of these colleges vs. others is a factor. But for some folks, such as yourself living in Ottawa, what you may save by staying in your own city or, perhaps, having the opportunity to finish quicker, may make up for any cost savings.

I did do a college program (started 20 years ago this week!). With my family's financial situation that's the only want that I was able to get my pilot's licence and I lived at home during my training. At the time, it was significantly harder in Ontario to get a student loan for private flight training than it is now (though it's still not easy).

So while this post doesn't really answer your question on what you should do, hopefully it provides a bit more input on your current situation. I'd recommend trying to reach out on facebook or similar to see if you can talk to some recent Sault grads or current students to hear their thoughts (if no one responds here).

Cheers

avsteve1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by avsteve1 »

goingnowherefast wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:50 am Air Canada currently won't hire without a degree or aviation diploma. That may change, or may not even matter to you.

Does Jazz/any of the other Express regionals count in this as well?

avsteve1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by avsteve1 »

goingnowherefast wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:50 am Air Canada currently won't hire without a degree or aviation diploma. That may change, or may not even matter to you.

Because I was wondering if the Algonquin College program provides an “Aviation Management” diploma, or a “General Arts and Science” diploma. One of which is an aviation diploma, and one isn’t. On their site is says “Aviation Management - General Arts and Science”.

PA28151
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PA28151 »

That's false, there have been many new hires at AC recently that do not have a degree or aviation diploma.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Some of the blame may also fall on the students. Traditionally every class has had a couple who habitually cancel flights at the last second, often for selfish reasons. Because of that, the motivated flight college student should watch for patterns of no-shows and go to the airport with a completed operational flight plan in hand every time the repeat offenders are on the schedule. There will most often be a free plane and maybe even an instructor ready and waiting for them. Same goes for sims. That’s how you graduate first.

Or just be hungover on all your flying days and blame everyone else. Whichever.

yvonne2823
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yvonne2823 »

I just graduated from the Sault. Lots of issues. Pretty much exactly what you just said. PM me if you'd like. If money isn't an issue idk why you're even considering sault/confed. With all the added JazzApp schools outside of them I don't really see a reason to go there.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

avsteve1 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:37 am

Does Jazz/any of the other Express regionals count in this as well?
No, that is just mainline AC. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that seems to be the case for all the off-the-street hires I know.

Don't bank on Jazz either. There are a ton of other ways to get to Air Canada, almost all of them pay significantly better too.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

goingnowherefast wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:50 am Air Canada currently won't hire without a degree or aviation diploma.
Incorrect.

Return to “Flight Training”