Class 1 medical with second pilot restriction

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Class 1 medical with second pilot restriction

Post by rotorspeed »

Dialdriver do you have a unlimited class 3 and restricted class 1 sticker . I haven't gotten my book yet so I don't know how it looks.
---------- ADS -----------

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

My main point is do you have an unlimired class3 and restricted class 1 at same time

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

Yes. I don't require an accompanying pilot, but I have some minor medical requirements to maintain my unrestricted Cat 3. So I can fly solo or with passengers on my Cat 3, but not my Cat 1, due to the more stringent medical standards for it.

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

When you get you're medical done do they give you a class 3 and restricted class 1 at he same rime

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

I don't know, but likely only if your medical situation permits it. You'll just have to start the process and see what happens.

NewPilot22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NewPilot22 »

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and hoping to revive this thread.
I'm training for my PPL currently on a Class 3 unrestricted medical. I talked on the phone with the Regional Aeromedical Officer and she said she could likely issue a Class 1 "with or as copilot" once I start training for CPL. I was hoping to get an experienced pilot's perspective on how holding a Class 1 "with or as copilot" impacts hireability, especially for a first flying job.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Significantly, unless you somehow think you'll be going multi-crew from day one.

What reason was given for going from an unrestricted Category 3 medical, to a restricted Category 1?

NewPilot22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NewPilot22 »

7ECA wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:24 pm Significantly, unless you somehow think you'll be going multi-crew from day one.

What reason was given for going from an unrestricted Category 3 medical, to a restricted Category 1?
I'll PM you, if that's ok

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

dialdriver wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:12 pm With an unrestricted category 3, you can certainly train for a CPL. However, as tired said, there may be a limit on the flexibility Transport Canada allows when it comes to issuing you a CPL. But, human rights would require them to consider it.
Sorry, not true.

https://canlii.ca/t/gjnkm

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

currently on a Class 3 unrestricted medical. I talked on the phone with the Regional Aeromedical Officer and she said she could likely issue a Class 1 "with or as copilot" once I start training for CPL
I suggest that you really understand this with great clarity - it sounds odd. My experience has been that a restriction is not "CAT" specific. If the proposed restriction is not likely to be temporary, this is something you should be very clear about before you invest a lot in learning to fly.

Flying as a second crew member with an "as or with" restriction imposes extra burden on the operator and other pilot, not a "doesn't matter" situation for the operator.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

PilotDAR wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:29 pm
currently on a Class 3 unrestricted medical. I talked on the phone with the Regional Aeromedical Officer and she said she could likely issue a Class 1 "with or as copilot" once I start training for CPL
I suggest that you really understand this with great clarity - it sounds odd. My experience has been that a restriction is not "CAT" specific. If the proposed restriction is not likely to be temporary, this is something you should be very clear about before you invest a lot in learning to fly.

Flying as a second crew member with an "as or with" restriction imposes extra burden on the operator and other pilot, not a "doesn't matter" situation for the operator.
My restriction is category specific. My cat 1 is restricted and my cat 3 is not. This is clearly stated on my certificate.

Thus restriction does not cause any burden on my employer.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

dialdriver wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:54 pm My restriction is category specific. My cat 1 is restricted and my cat 3 is not. This is clearly stated on my certificate.

It's very difficult to see how that helps you. Neither a CPL nor an ATPL are validated by a category 3 medical certificate under any circumstances or for any purpose. Does your ADB say you hold *both* a CPL/ATPL and a PPL?

Last edited by photofly on Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

photofly wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:57 pm
dialdriver wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:54 pm My restriction is category specific. My cat 1 is restricted and my cat 3 is not. This is clearly stated on my certificate.

It's very difficult to see how that helps you. A CPL isn't validated by a category 3 medical certificate under any circumstances or for any purpose. Does your ADB say you hold *both* a CPL and a PPL?
I hold a cat 1 medical.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

dialdriver wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:59 pm
photofly wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:57 pm

It's very difficult to see how that helps you. A CPL isn't validated by a category 3 medical certificate under any circumstances or for any purpose. Does your ADB say you hold *both* a CPL and a PPL?
I hold a cat 1 medical.
RIght. But your category 1 is restricted to "as or with copilot":
My restriction is category specific. My cat 1 is restricted
I was referring to your unrestricted category 3 medical. Unless you hold a PPL, a category 3 medical does nothing for you. A category 3 medical certificate doesn't ever validate a CPL, so the lack of restriction of your category 3 is academic. You can't use it.

Last edited by photofly on Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
NewPilot22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NewPilot22 »

PilotDAR wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:29 pm

I appreciate your replies so far, thank you!

Do you mind describing how it imposes a burden on the operator if the position is multi-crew and the medical specifies it's valid for multi-crew Cat 1?
I have no experience or background knowledge and am just trying to understand.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

My license does not say "with or as copilot". It says, "Subject to a letter...". That letter states the "restrictions do not apply while using only the Private Pilot Privileges (PPL) of your professional (ATPL) license".

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

dialdriver wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:14 pm My license does not say "with or as copilot". It says, "Subject to a letter...". That letter states the "restrictions do not apply while using only the Private Pilot Privileges (PPL) of your professional (ATPL) license".
That makes sense: your restriction, whatever the wording is, and the relaxation thereto, are both on your category 1 medical.
However you said earlier:
But you don't actually have a category 3 medical - that would mean you had two different medical certificates. You have just one medical certificate - a category 1 - with restriction that differ based on the use of your ATPL. It may sound like the same thing - but it's not.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

Sorry, it's cleary stated in my letter.

The previous poster suggested restrictions aren't category specific.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

dialdriver wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:22 pm Sorry, it's cleary stated in my letter.

The previous poster suggested restrictions aren't category specific.
I think we're arguing at cross-purposes. I'm trying to clear up a matter of terminology. Your restriction isn't category specific - it's use-specific. It applies to one use of your ATPL but not the other. Since you only have one category of medical, there's nothing "category"-specific about your restriction.

As far as I know, the only people who have two separate categories of medical certificate (and therefore could have a restriction that applied to one category and not the other) are ATCOs who also hold a PPL - they might have both a category 2 and a category 3 medical certificate.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

I believe the restriction is clearly category specific, as it is a cat 1 medical. But, the letter clarifies the medical constraints do not apply to the PPL flying privileges of a cat 1 medical.

"The letter goes on to say, " You will therefore not be receiving a separate Category 3 Medical Certificate and PPL". So, if there was a requirement for different restrictions to my PPL flying, I would get separate documents. So, I could have a cat 1 and cat 3 with different restrictions.

Return to “Flight Training”