Understanding us charts

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Understanding us charts

Post by rotorspeed »

Ok I was thinking of doom doing some solo flying in social. On looking at their maps they are a bit different than ours. If I look for example at Van Nuys on either the sectional or tax it only lists the surrounding class C restrictions ( burnank) , bottom 3000 top 4800,but doesn't say anything about the VAN Nuys airspace which if I understand the chart is class D. Do you only find that in the airport procedures?
---------- ADS -----------

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Understanding us charts

Post by rotorspeed »

Ok i got it 30 in box means 3000

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Posthumane »

The colour (or color, since it's a US chart) of the outline of the airspace is used to identify the class. If you look on the legend, Van Nuys is surrounded by a hashed blue line which means class D (much easier to see on the TAC rather than the VNC). The blue box indicates the ceiling, in this case [-30] indicates up to but not including 3000 feet. The solid purple outline of burbank indicates class C, and a solid blue outline would be class B. Class E outlines vary depending on the floor.

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw
rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

Yeah got it. I was having trouble with the ceiling of class d since it was on the box. Canadian charts are easier to read and have the frequencies right there on the airspace altitudes

Return to “Flight Training”