Mount Royal or Sault College?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

saha01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Mount Royal or Sault College?

Post by saha01 »

Hi everyone, I'm graduating high school this year and I need to decide where I'm going to school. I've applied to lots of airline uni's and colleges but my top choices are Mount Royal Uni and Sault College. I'm not sure which one is worth it? If someone could tell me about their experience and either or what they know or something because MRU is expensive but it's my top choice...but not sure if it's worth it.
I currently have my Student License and going for my PPL btw if that means anything.

Thanks,
-E
---------- ADS -----------

SoaringHigh
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Mount Royal or Sault College?

Post by SoaringHigh »

This purely second -- well, probably third hand information, but I have heard things are NOT the way they used to be at Sault College. Due to lack of instructors and other delays, students are not completing their training into well into their fourth year (so I hear), which is after their three-year, six-semester classroom timeline. Just something to take into consideration. I hear things are going well at MRU.

In lieu of MRU, you could go to a private FTU for roughly the same, if not cheaper cost, and do your training as quickly as wx would provide? Just something to consider.

Someone else will have much more detailed info on Sault College... I believe it's been talked about in a few different threads on here.
Good luck in your training! It is awesome fun and very rewarding.

SoaringHigh
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SoaringHigh »

"I currently have my Student License and going for my PPL btw if that means anything."

if you're going to have your PPL completed, that's like 25%-30% of your training at a private FTU completed right there. You could do your CPL timebuilding, flight test, then onto MIFR from there... to be completed within a year NO PROBLEM.

Again, just a thought. G'luck

RILEY
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RILEY »

SoaringHigh wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:39 am "I currently have my Student License and going for my PPL btw if that means anything."

if you're going to have your PPL completed, that's like 25%-30% of your training at a private FTU completed right there. You could do your CPL timebuilding, flight test, then onto MIFR from there... to be completed within a year NO PROBLEM.

Again, just a thought. G'luck
Especially if your private FTU is capable of offering low interest govt student loans. On the other hand some sort of post secondary is definitely recommended imo. That’s the only reason I’d go to MRU, and I’d even take it as far as turning that diploma into a degree. Set yourself up best for the future today.

GLuck

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Sault. Their grads have always had great hands and feet, been very knowledgeable and had great attitudes. Also, Sault is not in the habit of trying to spin their multi-engine aircraft.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Alternate plan: buy a light single or a share in one and do your commercial in that, then sell when finished. You'll be flying for a living by this time next year and if you really want that degree just get your bachelor's of basket weaving online. Or Sault to save a bunch of money, just confirm first whose fault it is that the students are behind. I used to live there and there were plenty students who were very vocal about being behind on flying, but would also not show up when they were scheduled to fly.

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

B208 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:50 am Sault. Their grads have always had great hands and feet, been very knowledgeable and had great attitudes. Also, Sault is not in the habit of trying to spin their multi-engine aircraft.
Classy, not.....

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

1yzh5e.jpg
1yzh5e.jpg (52.04 KiB) Viewed 2367 times
The Hammer wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:44 am
B208 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:50 am Sault. Their grads have always had great hands and feet, been very knowledgeable and had great attitudes. Also, Sault is not in the habit of trying to spin their multi-engine aircraft.
Classy, not.....

Speedalive
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Speedalive »

There's a lot to compare, but I think the biggest differences between the two are the costs and mentalities of the schools. Sault College is cheap, but strict. MRU is expensive, but relaxed. At the end of the day, both of them will give you a Diploma and a CPL. You don't even have to go to college necessarily with how the industry is right now. If you're from Calgary, I would take a look at SATC. They're also part of the Westjet Flightpath program (work as instructor there until 1000TT and off to Encore you go) and they're cheaper than MRU. Pretty much every school here has a ridiculous waitlist though.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 8895 »

Graduated Sault a couple years ago, it’s definetly going through a bit of a transition with regards to personnel and some procedures. That being said it’s still a reputable program to come out of IMO, couldn’t tell you anything about Mount Royal. As for being short instructors I can tell you as a current flight instructor working in southern Ontario it doesn’t matter what flight school you go to, everyone is short and looking for instructors. Sault is still taking in a whack ton of first years from what I hear but it’s a pretty competitive program so if you stick with it while you’re there you should get everything done on time while others slowly start dropping out. Everyone I hear who’s behind in their training there right now are usually the ones who go out drinking at top hat the night before their flights

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Excellent point 8895. Find out how much drinks are at "The Top Hat."

My brother inlaw was complaining about $18 cocktails being typical last night and he lives quite close to Mountroyal Unicollege.

Return to “Flight Training”