Has there been any changes to CARs 421.26

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Has there been any changes to CARs 421.26

Post by rigpiggy »

We have a number of people that i believe are getting hosed by the local flying school. They have been telling there students that "transport" likes to see the PPL students have 70 hrs before flight test. Such that they have been padding the times"62 hrs for a rec license". Anybody have any info reTC guidance.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Has there been any changes to CARs 421.26

Post by photofly »

There have been no changes to 421.26.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

rigpiggy wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:58 am We have a number of people that i believe are getting hosed by the local flying school. They have been telling there students that "transport" likes to see the PPL students have 70 hrs before flight test. Such that they have been padding the times"62 hrs for a rec license". Anybody have any info reTC guidance.
I've heard that before. There could be multiple reasons why an instructor says that: bad experience with TC examiner, trying to save a student's feelings by blaiming TC instead of the student's (lack of) progress, or an evil instructor/manager trying to milk the students. Possibly other reasons as well.

But it is absolutely not required.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Well the last guy has been flying really regular probably 20 hrs in last month

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

(a) An applicant shall have completed a minimum of 45 hours private pilot flight training in aeroplanes under the direction and supervision of the holder of a Flight Instructor Rating - Aeroplane. A maximum 5 of the 45 hours may be conducted on an approved aeroplane simulator or flight training device.
(amended 1998/09/01)
No changes in twenty years, so it's a crock of bull chit.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Obviously less is better but if it's taking you longer to get to your flight test, AND you are going all the way to CPL it really doesn't matter. You need 200 hours regardless and a few extra hours to get you a very solid base of knowledge to build on is not the end of the world.

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by geneticistx »

i know someone (actually a couple) who got licensed in the past few months at like 45 hours.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

The requirements haven't changed. Pilots on average seem to take longer than the required 45 hours, so perhaps the school was quoting 70 hours as the average completion time? That seems like a lot to me. I know TC gets skeptical if they see bare minimum hours... but if they passed the exam, and can back the hours in the log book with their PTR, they're good to go.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."

Return to “Flight Training”