Journey log items

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Skymark
Rank 3
Rank 3

Journey log items

Post by Skymark »

Is there an official list of the phase and hourly items that need to be checked in the Journey log during a flight test?
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Journey log items

Post by photofly »

That's a more complicated answer than you think. The legal requirement is that the aircraft is maintained in accordance with its approved maintenance schedule. (605.86(a)).

As far as I know most small airplane approved maintenance schedules incorporate the requirements of Standard 625 Appendix C "Out of Phase Tasks and Equipment Maintenance Requirements" for out-of-phase tasks, unless the aircraft manufacturer has dictated something more restrictive, but it's really by agreement with TC. LIkewise the in phase tasks vary according to whatever has been approved by TC in the operators approved maintenance schedule for that aircraft.

For private aircraft, the minister has granted blanket approval to use CAR625 appendix B as the maintenance schedule for in-phase tasks, and appendix C for out of phase items, so those would apply if if the flight test aircraft is privately registered.

In theory, CAR625 Appendix B can form the basis for a maintenance schedule for commercially registered aircraft when performed at 100 hour intervals, as stated in standard 626.86, but in practice I don't think it's that easy.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Skymark
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Skymark »

I was actually looking for the non maintenance items, like elt, first aid, pitot static, compass....

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I know. They're still maintenance items, they're all in the approved aircraft maintenance schedule, and they're all in Standard 625 appendix C. Have a look.

Edit: I see first aid kit isn't, so if you have an obligation periodically to inspect your first aid kit it will be because the approved aircraft maintenance schedule says so. For private aircraft - because the approved schedule (appendix B & C) doesn't list it - no periodic inspection of the first aid kit is required, you simply have to have one. That's my half-educated guess.

Also note no periodic check on the pitot system is required; only the static system and altimetric devices.

On the subject of first aid kits, the CARs only specify what needs to be in a first aid kit for part 604 private operators (604.116 and 604.117) and Part VII operators - see the exemption in 602.59(2)(d). I hope that's interesting. So if for private airplanes, and I guess for FTU's, your first aid kit can be two bandaids and a tube of Polysporin, if you wish.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

I went through the log book and placed sticky notes on each page with the applicable time sensitive items prior to my flight test. Makes for an easy flip through to show the examiner if/when they ask.

Just a little tip.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

The most common practice is to have a "coming due" card in the log that is held on with a paper clip so it can be moved page to page. On the card you will have the next coming due items based on hours, cycles and calendar. Once an item is completed, you make a new card. Very simple and effective, especially if the card is coloured to contrast the page. You would then use a basic spreadsheet to keep track of the overall list of items.
photofly wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:54 pm On the subject of first aid kits, the CARs only specify what needs to be in a first aid kit for part 604 private operators (604.116 and 604.117) and Part VII operators - see the exemption in 602.59(2)(d). I hope that's interesting. So if for private airplanes, and I guess for FTU's, your first aid kit can be two bandaids and a tube of Polysporin, if you wish.
602.60 (1) No person shall conduct a take-off in a power-driven aircraft, other than an ultra-light aeroplane, unless the following operational and emergency equipment is carried on board:
(e) a hand-held fire extinguisher in the cockpit that

(i) is of a type suitable for extinguishing fires that are likely to occur,

(ii) is designed to minimize the hazard of toxic gas concentrations, and

(iii) is readily available to each flight crew member;

(f) a timepiece that is readily available to each flight crew member;

(g) a flashlight that is readily available to each crew member, if the aircraft is operated at night; and

(h) a first aid kit.

First aid kits are covered by AOHS regulations for Part 4, 6 and 7 operators as the people on board can be considered employees at that time. Private aircraft still need one but it doesn't have to conform to the regs.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

There's nothing saying that Part IV (FTU) operators have to have first aid kits that meet any specific requirements in the CARs as far I can find.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Skymark wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:49 pm Is there an official list of the phase and hourly items that need to be checked in the Journey log during a flight test?
Exercise 2 in the Flight Test Guide covers what will be tested with respect to maintenance items in a PPL or CPL flight test

Ex. 2 Aeroplane Familiarization and Preparation for Flight
A. Documents and Airworthiness (Ground Item)
Aim
To correctly assess the validity of documents required on board and, and from these documents determine that the aeroplane is airworthy.

Description
The candidate will determine the validity of all documents required on board the aeroplane and determine that required maintenance certifications have been completed.

Performance Criteria
Assessment will be based on the candidate's competency to:

ensure that flight authorization is confirmed and encompasses the requirements of the proposed flight in accordance with the applicable operational control system;

determine if the documents required to be on board are valid;

determine if the maintenance release ensures aeroplane serviceability and inspection requirements for the proposed period of flight;

determine the remaining number of flying hours before the next service or maintenance task;

ensure that any conditions or limitations on the maintenance release can be complied with;

determine the impact of deferred defects on aeroplane operations for the proposed flight;

explain the process for dealing with aeroplane unserviceabilities discovered during a flight.

With respect to the Instrument rating flight test you will have to be able to show the 24 month altimetry and pitot static test has been done.

Return to “Flight Training”