Sault and Confederation Applicants. Check here.

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Sault and Confederation Applicants. Check here.

Post by shawnthesheep »

Hello Everyone,

I'm a student from Alberta who applied to Sault and Confederation. I'd love to connect on here with everyone as offers are going out in February. I think it will help tremendously in the future.
---------- ADS -----------

hsilgnepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Sault and Confederation Applicants. Check here.

Post by hsilgnepilot »

Don't waste your time with Sault. Go to Confed.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

hsilgnepilot wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:02 pm Don't waste your time with Sault. Go to Confed.
Sounds like someone’s first semester went well.

shivam282
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shivam282 »

shawnthesheep wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:11 am Hello Everyone,

I'm a student from Alberta who applied to Sault and Confederation. I'd love to connect on here with everyone as offers are going out in February. I think it will help tremendously in the future.
Hey, I'm from Ontario and applied to Sault, Confederation, and a few others as well back in mid-November. I'll connect back here once I hear back from any of the two. Good luck!

hsilgnepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hsilgnepilot »

lownslow wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:42 pm
hsilgnepilot wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:02 pm Don't waste your time with Sault. Go to Confed.
I actually left Sault College on my own terms, in third year. But thanks for the speculation.

hsilgnepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hsilgnepilot »

Honestly if you’re from AB, MRU sounds like a good idea if it’s in the budget.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

hsilgnepilot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:19 am
I actually left Sault College on my own terms, in third year. But thanks for the speculation.
Seems a silly time to leave, you must have been close to the home stretch.

hsilgnepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hsilgnepilot »

lownslow wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:09 am
There were a number of reasons. The strike definitely played a part. However the school is now know for falling behind. If you plan on going to the Sault, expect to spend four years there, instead of the advertised three. I went and finished privately and still finished all my training and got a job before 90% of the people in my graduating class. I just thought it was the better option and I stand by that.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

hsilgnepilot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:56 am

There were a number of reasons. The strike definitely played a part. However the school is now know for falling behind. If you plan on going to the Sault, expect to spend four years there, instead of the advertised three. I went and finished privately and still finished all my training and got a job before 90% of the people in my graduating class. I just thought it was the better option and I stand by that.
That’s rough. When I taught there us instructors routinely worked our balls off to keep everyone as close to on time as we could, only to get chewed out by upper management when we would resume normal pace once caught up. Did anyone in your class get done on time?

hsilgnepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hsilgnepilot »

No one in my class actually finished in late April/early May when they were supposed to. We had one guy in late May and a few in the summer. Everyone else ended up going well into September, and a lot finished in late December just before the break.

It’s very mismanaged. There are at least two people in upper management who I feel should be dismissed for a number of reasons. The chair of the program is doing as well as he can to work with what he has, but I don’t think he’s listening to students as much as he should be.

The scheduling program is absurd. “Talon” it’s called. It takes like an hour now between flights to do all this online paperwork. The program cannot possibly be productive if you have planes sitting on the ground for an hour between flights. There’s no reason why a debriefing can’t be complete on the taxi back to the hangar, and then go inside and do the PTR while the next student is doing a walk around. Do the journey logs at the end of the day after all flying is complete. There’s no reason 20 minute turns can’t become normal and routine, and would allow for an additional 2 flights/day per aircraft (1.5 duration), which is 26 ADDITIONAL flights per day if each Zlin is fully utilized, and of course no mechanical issues.

UNFORTUNATELY, upper management disagrees.

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by shawnthesheep »

hsilgnepilot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:20 am Honestly if you’re from AB, MRU sounds like a good idea if it’s in the budget.
It's super expensive. Like super expensive. They want you to privately get a PPL then spend another 80K. Plus living expenses.

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by shawnthesheep »

Hey can you expand on the "strike" part. Whose on strike and why? Might have to just stick with confed.

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by shawnthesheep »

shivam282 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:48 pm
shawnthesheep wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:11 am Hello Everyone,

Hey, I'm from Ontario and applied to Sault, Confederation, and a few others as well back in mid-November. I'll connect back here once I hear back from any of the two. Good luck!
Hey, make sure to connect on here. I'd love to get to know you and potentially split living expenses!

shivam282
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shivam282 »

shawnthesheep wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:21 pm
Hey can you expand on the "strike" part. Whose on strike and why? Might have to just stick with confed.
From what I understand, the strike is now over but a lot of these colleges are still recovering from the “damage”.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

I highly recommend completing whatever college program you go for. Having that diploma gets you a ton of points with the hiring board at Air Canada.

hsilgnepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hsilgnepilot »

Last year, All colleges in Ontario professors went on strike. This included Aviation faculty and instructors at Sault College. The strike was a dispute over a new contract, and it had lasted for approximately 7 weeks in total from late Oct, into early Dec.

We returned in early Dec, basically to be told there would be no flying until after Christmas and that the semester was being extended an extra couple of weeks. Planes never started flying again until February, so that’s 4 full months on the ground. Even with weather issues, there was lots of nice flying days missed out on during the strike and it caused issues that are still on going to this day.

I don’t think there’s a risk for another strike in the foreseeable future, however the bottom line is still the Sault is mismanaged, and I regret going there from day 1, it was a waste of 3 years. I wish I would’ve went with Confed, or done my training privately. Because with the way the industry is right now, it’s about getting your training done, getting that first instructor job or right seat 703, and then getting to the regionals, and getting a seniority number. Once you get there, a lot of doors will open for you.

They’ll also dangle a carrot in front of you to leave the Sault and go directly to Jazz as a new hire and while that’s great, in reality only 1 or 2 people per year really get that opportunity and there’s a lot of cons to it as well; such as not building PIC time as an instructor, or on a small multi-turbine.

In the end it’s all up to you guys, but based on my experience I cannot and will not recommend Sault College to anyone. I’m sure a lot of people will disagree and that’s fine, but I know there’s a lot of people who also share my views.

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by shawnthesheep »

hsilgnepilot wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:00 am Last year, All colleges in Ontario professors went on strike. This included Aviation faculty and instructors at Sault College. The strike was a dispute over a new contract, and it had lasted for approximately 7 weeks in total from late Oct, into early Dec.

We returned in early Dec, basically to be told there would be no flying until after Christmas and that the semester was being extended an extra couple of weeks. Planes never started flying again until February, so that’s 4 full months on the ground. Even with weather issues, there was lots of nice flying days missed out on during the strike and it caused issues that are still on going to this day.

I don’t think there’s a risk for another strike in the foreseeable future, however the bottom line is still the Sault is mismanaged, and I regret going there from day 1, it was a waste of 3 years. I wish I would’ve went with Confed, or done my training privately. Because with the way the industry is right now, it’s about getting your training done, getting that first instructor job or right seat 703, and then getting to the regionals, and getting a seniority number. Once you get there, a lot of doors will open for you.

They’ll also dangle a carrot in front of you to leave the Sault and go directly to Jazz as a new hire and while that’s great, in reality only 1 or 2 people per year really get that opportunity and there’s a lot of cons to it as well; such as not building PIC time as an instructor, or on a small multi-turbine.

In the end it’s all up to you guys, but based on my experience I cannot and will not recommend Sault College to anyone. I’m sure a lot of people will disagree and that’s fine, but I know there’s a lot of people who also share my views.
Thanks for all that. I'll be taking that into consideration.

shivam282
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shivam282 »

Well, Feb. 1st is here and so far I have gotten an offer into the Conestoga college program. Not sure if I should just accept it now and cancel it if another more preferred school accepts me down the line, or if I should just wait on it. Don’t want to wait too long and get waitlisted into Conestoga if that’s the only school that takes me. Anybody hear back from Sault or Confed?

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by shawnthesheep »

shivam282 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:00 am Well, Feb. 1st is here and so far I have gotten an offer into the Conestoga college program. Not sure if I should just accept it now and cancel it if another more preferred school accepts me down the line, or if I should just wait on it. Don’t want to wait too long and get waitlisted into Conestoga if that’s the only school that takes me. Anybody hear back from Sault or Confed?
Hey, don't accept it just yet. Colleges have quite a bit of time to send offers. I'll be waiting till the third week of February before I really start thinking about a decision. I know a friend who got an offer in mid February. He was an Ontario resident. I'll be waiting longer since I'm out of province.

shivam282
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shivam282 »

shawnthesheep wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:36 am
shivam282 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:00 am Well, Feb. 1st is here and so far I have gotten an offer into the Conestoga college program. Not sure if I should just accept it now and cancel it if another more preferred school accepts me down the line, or if I should just wait on it. Don’t want to wait too long and get waitlisted into Conestoga if that’s the only school that takes me. Anybody hear back from Sault or Confed?
Hey, don't accept it just yet. Colleges have quite a bit of time to send offers. I'll be waiting till the third week of February before I really start thinking about a decision. I know a friend who got an offer in mid February. He was an Ontario resident. I'll be waiting longer since I'm out of province.
Hey, yeah I just realize that after some more research. I'm pretty sure the offers are valid until May 1st, 2019 and you need to accept it by then.

Return to “Flight Training”