Sault and Confederation Applicants. Check here.

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

EGW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Sault and Confederation Applicants. Check here.

Post by EGW »

This is a no brainer. Go with CONFED!
[/quote]

Everyone on here is so convinced that Confed is such the better option but no one elaborates. What are the actual reasons why Confed is better.
---------- ADS -----------

Luke Spectre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Luke Spectre »

EGW wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:31 pm This is a no brainer. Go with CONFED!
Everyone on here is so convinced that Confed is such the better option but no one elaborates. What are the actual reasons why Confed is better.
[/quote]

You can do what I did of your unwilling to take their word (I wasn't either). Go on Facebook. Find the confed aviation flight management group. Find the Sault avaition group. DM 5 people from both, see what they have to say!

sherryfly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sherryfly »

I personally am going to Sault. The reason for this is because the IFR, and Multi ratings will cost almost $10,000 at Cornwall. In addition to this, to get a job you may also require a flight instructor rating. This is all in addition to student loans that you will have. I would rather spend an extra year at Sault, then have to be stressing over my financial situation. Please dont forget that if you do not have the approx $20,000 you need you will most likely need to work a non-flying job to accumulate funds., whilst paying off student loans and living costs. Please be very careful in your decision and do not forget to take the cost into account.

TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

I am not saying don't go to Sault, but remember to look at the big picture.

If finances are an issue, remember there will be an extra year of living expenses. Books $1200 for the entire program versus $1100 for semester 2.

Confederation estimates $18398 plus living expenses.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the fact sheet Google finds for Sault only has costs for the first three terms, but they are all the same tuition and semester 2 and 3 ancillary fees are the same. Assuming tuition is the same every semester and the ancillary fees (excluding flight training support fee(s)) remain the same after semester 3 results in an estimate of $25,107.10. This excludes books (around $1100 per semester for six semesters?) and uniforms. And living expenses (requiring one more year than Confederation).

Tuition, fees, books, and uniforms will be almost $14,000 less at Confederation, plus one less year of living expenses.

After Confederation you could go to Cornwall for multi and instrument ratings ($10,000 plus accommodations for a week or two) and financially be ahead a $2-4,000 plus the cost of living for the third year - which will probably cover a good chunk of an instructor rating. This excludes any income earned in what would be the third year of Sault, the hours flown, and potentially a lower seniority number or more progress before the industry tanks.

As well if you are going to look for an instructing job odds are extremely low that you would need a multi or instrument rating to begin with. Some schools, especially if they want you to do instrument rating/multi-engine training for them, will give you a discounted rate to get those ratings later.

sherryfly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sherryfly »

Don’t forget to factor in OSAP. For me, if I take grants only and no loans from OSAP, it will cost me $30,000 at Sault with all foreseeable costs included. This is approximately the same as Confederation College if you include the multi and ifr rating. The difference is OSAP grants will assist me with the ratings, whereas I’ll have no financial assistance at Cornwall. That’s why I’m going to Sault.

EGW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EGW »

All,
From the research I've done thus far these are the main points i have uncovered for anyone who is struggling with the decision also...

-Sault is currently two semesters behind schedule on their flying, which some students have informed me will result in them not meeting their requirements to continue to the next year. this means they will have to reapply and start over next year. I am told by numerous grads and current students at sault to expect an extra year (4 years total) to complete all of their training/ratings. Sault continues to take in too many students each year which contributes to more and more backlog when trying to share 13 planes between three years of students.

-Confed has seemed to deal with the backlog created by the strike by taking in less students (around 35) this year and the upcoming year, compared to almost 100 students at sault. The quote from cornwall was about 10k and about 1 month of training for the multi ifr, which brings the total tuition up to about 25-30k, comparable to sault. Not sure if this is possible, but you still write the INRAT at confed, so all you would need to do to get the group 3 ifr is pay for the check ride? (let me know if that's the case). If that's all it takes then it would only be an upgrade to the multi from cornwall which they quoted about 3k.

So at this point i am leaning towards confed. cost of living is cheaper (2 years instead of potential 4) and after about 22 months you will have cpl multi ifr whilst sault students are still working on their ppl because they're so far behind.
Just my thoughts... got opinions from current students and grads from each program. Both are good, both will get you where you want to go, just confed seems like the more logical option for me at this point.

TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

Good point about OSAP. If Confederation is only taking about half a class next fall, I suppose there will not be as many people having to make a decision in the first place.

shivam282
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shivam282 »

Does anybody here have the scoop on Conestoga? Not as fancy and as well known as Sault & Confed, but still a good program apparently (I've been told from recent grads and people currently in the program). It will also apparently get you to the major airlines. Wondering what you guys have to say about it?

piperdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by piperdriver »

Hmmm... Two years vs 4, if I was in your shoes this would be the easiest decision of my life. Jesus you are going to school to become a pilot not a god damn doctor. PLEASE do yourself a favour and choose CONFED.

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by shawnthesheep »

piperdriver wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:05 pm Hmmm... Two years vs 4, if I was in your shoes this would be the easiest decision of my life. Jesus you are going to school to become a pilot not a god damn doctor. PLEASE do yourself a favour and choose CONFED.
Alright everyone chill. Everyone in Canada has there own path of becoming a pilot. All sorts of backgrounds. Some choose no post secondary, some get a diploma, heck some even get degrees. If sherryfly (sorry if I spelt it wrong) wants to go to Sault let them. Give your advice but don't be repetitive. Everyone should go with their gut feeling.

sherryfly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sherryfly »

I completely understand why some may want to go to Confederation, in fact, if I didn’t have to worry about finances I most likely would also choose Confed. For me, my sister will also be attending post-secondary in the upcoming fall. My parents will not only have to support me, but my other siblings that are also doing post secondary. Coming from a middle class background, even the opportunity to do my pilot training without having to pay $100K or get a loan is more than I could ask for. That’s why I am choosing Sault.

SbzYKF
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SbzYKF »

Hello everyone,

I'm new around here, so fresh that this is my first post. I applied super early and was accepted to Conestoga in a few days back in February. Shortly there after, I was accepted to Sault and waitlisted at Confed. Now, many before I applied I was roaming around here and speaking with a few of my friends who have gone to different schools (UW, Conestoga, Seneca, and even WWFC) and all ended flying for regionals. I would like to think I did my homework well beforehand but I think I still have a lot to learn.

I accepted Sault's offer and here are my reasons why:
- I already have a Hons BA in Geography and Poli Sci so I'm not really worried about what the end diploma has written on it; my main focus is to be flying and to eventually be up there with the behemoths.
- I am working FT now (not in aviation domain) but unlike many before me, I don't have $70k to dump all at once for private flying or at Conestoga (even if it is only 2 years). Of my family I make the most so even with my great credit history score yadda yadda I think it'd be better if I focus on my flying versus flying and financial statuses. As great as it would be to fly local and be trained local, I don't think it would be the best choice for me. So I like the idea that Sault (like Confed and Seneca) is subsidized ergo atop all of the other things focus on, financial status won't be one (I am talking strictly about flying). I can focus on classes and flying.
- 3 years or 4 years or however long: yes. Seneca has 4 years altogether with a BA. I already have a BA so I chose not to do another and again focus as much as possible on flying and flying as much as possible. So why Sault and not Confed (aside from the fact that I was waitlisted there for now)? I like Confed's idea of finishing the fastest but not multi and group 1. This would leave me to go to Cornwall or even near where I live and still invest time and money in the specific ratings. So strictly IMHO and solely for me, Sault is the better option for me. I'm aware of all cons and pros and I think I could spend an entire day going over the pros and cons (...which I did) and I still came at the same conclusions.

I have read the differences of aircraft used by all schools and the management but truly...I don't mind anything. Really, I have some 20 hours on ultralight flying so I will take any old Czech-made aircraft over an open cockpit with car seatbelts and no doors or windows (all whilst crusing at a brisk 2700 feet). I am fully aware that ultralight flying is and can be vastly different than GA flying.

I am looking forward to starting and working towards my goals! Hope to meet new friends soon!

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 8895 »

If you go to Sault as long as you’ve got your priorities straight and don’t go to Top Hat the night before a flight you should be fine. Graduated out of there a couple years ago and we had about 100 give or take first day first year, graduating pretty sure we had like 30 at most, so you’ll probably see a pretty big drop off in your class after the first and second semester

EGW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EGW »

Anyone going to the sault open house April 13? I’m going to that as well as taking a tour of Confed March 22. If any current students will be there to chat in person that would be great. PM me!

EGW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EGW »

Anyone in here attend that sault open house this weekend? I did and I think I’ve come to terms with my decision after visiting both schools. I’d love to hear from other students on which school they chose and why, as the deadline is approaching to accept offers. Cheers!

sherryfly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sherryfly »

EGW wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:57 pm Anyone in here attend that sault open house this weekend? I did and I think I’ve come to terms with my decision after visiting both schools. I’d love to hear from other students on which school they chose and why, as the deadline is approaching to accept offers. Cheers!
Wasnt able to make it, but if you don'tt t mind me asking, what did you decide?

EGW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EGW »

Wasnt able to make it, but if you don'tt t mind me asking, what did you decide?
[/quote]

It was a tough decision for me for sure, Sault definitely markets their program better. They seemed to really try to be selling students on why they are the best and why other schools aren't as good as them. Confed seemed more laid back and gave me less pressure to choose them. In my opinion, the Sault is a nicer city than Tbay, the main campus is nicer than confed, and i think the Zlin is a way cooler airplane than a 172. However, all of the classes and simulators are at the main campus opposed to in thunder bay where all of your classes and facilities are at the airport hangar. At confed it seemed like a more tight knit group, classes of 50, opposed to "80-110" students in the sault. Of course this is all personal opinion but i tend to lean towards smaller class sizes at confed and nicer hanger and facilities etc. I also wasn't a huge fan in the fact that Sault students had to wear shirt and tie every day regardless if they were flying or not (even if you are on main campus amongst other students in regular clothes.) When i asked the program coordinators about being behind at the sault they basically denied it and blamed it all on students who choose to get drunk and not keep up with their studies, which i don't totally believe considering i ran into a few students there who admitted they were about 6 months behind, and in their fifth semester still without PPL. Another non relevant bit of info to anyone else is the fact that i have family aka free living arrangements in thunder bay, which is a bonus.

So long story short, i am choosing confed, because at the end of the day i know that if i did choose the Sault, i would be sitting there in my third, potentially fourth year regretting why i didn't go to confed and graduate years ago and have a job by now.

hope this helps, let me know where others have decided!

sherryfly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sherryfly »

As far as time constraints, Confed is definitely a better choice in my opinion as well. I will, however, be attending
Sault College for financial reasons, because the cover the cost up to the MIFR

sherryfly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sherryfly »

sherryfly wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:31 am As far as time constraints, Confed is definitely a better choice in my opinion as well. It also seems to be managers better. I will, however, be attending
Sault College for financial reasons, because they cover the cost up to the MIFR

Flightlinesault
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flightlinesault »

Hope it all works out ...

We are still trying to finish our PPL from last summer.
Real mess here re flying, full year behind now.

Some kids leaving, tired of waiting for flights.

Return to “Flight Training”