Recent Business Graduate wanting to become commercial pilot

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Rparry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Recent Business Graduate wanting to become commercial pilot

Post by Rparry »

I am a recent graduate from the UofC and would love to become a pilot.

While I do my research I was wondering if anyone here could help out!

I am looking at local flight schools, as well as Aviation Diplomas. It seems like out east the diplomas are covered heavily by the government. But my father has an airplane that I may be able to use and perhaps it would be more beneficial to take a local flight school training program.

I am wondering what you guys recommend given my situation?
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Recent Business Graduate wanting to become commercial pilot

Post by Bede »

What kind of plane does he have?

I would suggest you hire a freelance instructor (one not affiliated with a school-must be class 3 or above) and get your licenses as quick as possible using your father's aircraft.

If you want to go to school in Ontario, I believe that you need to be an Ontario resident.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

Bede wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:48 pm What kind of plane does he have?

I would suggest you hire a freelance instructor (one not affiliated with a school-must be class 3 or above) and get your licenses as quick as possible using your father's aircraft.

If you want to go to school in Ontario, I believe that you need to be an Ontario resident.
The wall hasn't been built yet. One can still cross provincial borders for education.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

For the cheaper subsided program price you need to be a resident.

sherryfly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sherryfly »

To the best of my knowledge, as long as you are a Canadian Citizen, you are eligible for the Sault College program.

Vsquared
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Vsquared »

I am in the process of getting my CPL.
You already have a degree so you have that going for you, I would think a diploma program would be overkill and unnecessary, but who am I to say.

You're lucky that your father has a plane, if you could train on it with a freelance instructor you will save big time.
I have also "heard" of insane wait times to even get started on a PPL at any of the schools in Calgary.
If you cannot train on your fathers plane, I might suggest bunking with a relative/friend in a smaller city/town to complete it in a quicker time frame.

Return to “Flight Training”